Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak bringig back Ektachrome  (Read 6942 times)

dreed

Kodak bringig back Ektachrome
« on: January 07, 2017, 09:22:06 am »

Since every other forum seems to be for digital...

To the delight of film enthusiasts across the globe, Eastman Kodak Company today announced plans to bring back one of its most iconic film stocks.  Over the next 12 months, Kodak will be working to reformulate and manufacture KODAK EKTACHROME Film for both motion picture and still photography applications.  Initial availability is expected in the fourth quarter of 2017.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/Press_center/Kodak_Brings_Back_a_Classic_with_EKTACHROME_Film/default.htm

Rob C

Re: Kodak bringig back Ektachrome
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 06:07:20 pm »

Unfortunately, it seems they intend to limit it - for stills - to the 135 format. I'd have imagined that it would have made more sense in 120 because then it would not be in contention with digital quite as much. I could imagine myself buying back into Hassy 500 territory, but fail to see why I'd want to use it smaller.

Also, considering the lack of labs, perhaps it might make sense if it is available as was Kodachrome, usually, with processing included, and processing done, obviously, by Kodak. Even better if they do it in Lausannne! Never had better Kodachrome processing than from there.

Home processing? Not on your life. I used to do colour processing as part of my early professional photographic experience; replenishment and processing are very stictly controlled, and you can't make sense of it in a small-run situation. If people try it at home and get duff results, they will automatically blame Kodak, when it's their own fault for being too ambitious.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 06:39:58 pm »

Maybe they are treating this as a trial and will release 120 (and 220) in the future. 

I agree though, it is weird that they are not making a 120 version.  135 is nice, but the quality is not so good, and really only serious people are going to want to use this film. 

Insofar as processing it yourself, fuhgettaboutit.  I remember reading with E-6 processing if you are off by 0.1 a degree in any of the solution, you can mess it up, and there are around 8 solutions. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 08:52:25 pm »

Yuck.
IMHO, it wasn't very good the first time around.

Maybe Kodak should try something new with the old ?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 09:00:18 pm »

Insofar as processing it yourself, fuhgettaboutit.  I remember reading with E-6 processing if you are off by 0.1 a degree in any of the solution, you can mess it up, and there are around 8 solutions.
I can attest to that. I once tried processing a roll. I had pretty good temperature control --- for black and white. The results: Yuck!!!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 05:36:10 am »

On further thought, they might have done better reintroducing Kodachrome. But AFAIK, they had QC problems getting 120 processed, and its UK reintroducion in that format didn't last long. By then I'd gone totally Nikon and didn't get to use Kodachrome in my Hassies, though those who did claimed it was the equivalent of going up to 4x5. For me, Kodachrome's best quality, apart from no grain, was that it had very good latent image stability between exposure and processing, and wasn't visibly affected by sitting around in a yellow film bag on hot beaches. I write about the 64 ASA variety.

Incidentally, I discovered that scanning Kodachrome gave wonderful skin tones in black/white printing.

Oh those beautiful days... we thought they'd never end.

Rob C

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 04:01:46 pm »

Sounds like you may get your wish.

https://petapixel.com/2017/01/09/kodak-investigating-take-bring-back-kodachrome/

All I can add is... 120 please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

I remember shooting 120 Kodachrome in the late 80's/early 90's. Even then, due to the turn around time to send it off to get developed, it was not practical to use commercially. BUT!!!!! I still used it for personal work and art projects where there was an extended deadline, because the results were worth it.

With the resurgence of "film" photography in these spaces, and the abundance of cheap secondhand medium format gear, it is a match made in heaven.
Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

BJL

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 07:59:32 pm »

To those asking why not Kodachrome or 120, a couple of observations.

- The E-6 processing needed for Ektachrome is already out there, to handle the Fujichrome films like Velvia that have stayed in production.

- Kodachrome processing requires a far larger scale facility: even while it existed, the USA was down to one Kodachrome developing plant while there were many E-6 processors.

- At the college where I teach, which has a strong visual arts program, I see lots of photography students using inexpensive 35mm format film cameras (for the almost exclusively B&W prints I see in student art shows), but I have not seen a single MF film camera in use. So though one might think that some of these darkroom printing fans would go for inexpensive second-hand MF gear, apparently very few do.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 05:26:32 am »

To those asking why not Kodachrome or 120, a couple of observations.

- The E-6 processing needed for Ektachrome is already out there, to handle the Fujichrome films like Velvia that have stayed in production.

- Kodachrome processing requires a far larger scale facility: even while it existed, the USA was down to one Kodachrome developing plant while there were many E-6 processors.

- At the college where I teach, which has a strong visual arts program, I see lots of photography students using inexpensive 35mm format film cameras (for the almost exclusively B&W prints I see in student art shows), but I have not seen a single MF film camera in use. So though one might think that some of these darkroom printing fans would go for inexpensive second-hand MF gear, apparently very few do.

Two things:

1. yes, there was only one plant left during the closing down period, and that made sense within the circumstances. However, there were numeroius plants internationally before that decision, and I used two methods, in that for trips for UK clients I'd return to London, drive to and spend the night in Hemel Hempstead where Kodak did a 24hr Pro turnaround service. For non-pro work, i.e. personal, and sans time constraints, though I was actually based in Spain, I sent my Kodachrome to Switzerland because I found it a far cleaner service than Madrid seemed able to provide. The cost, to me, was identical;

2. I wouldn't base my viability numbers on students. Usually - who knows about the US, though - they were a pretty impecunious bunch and so the smaller the format the cheaper the better! However, for anyone contemplatinmg MF film, it's not primarily going to be about cost, but quality expectations (note expectations, not always fact!). For older guys with functioning memory, it's probably not so much a quality issue but more about cherished equipment.

Unexpectedly, this brings me to a third point I hadn't thought about when I began: as I mentioned earlier, much of the pleasure of MF is derived from the use of the machines themselves and, with the same photographers also quite likely to be using decent digital cameras too, there isn't really all that need for very expensive, dedicated 120 scanners unless very large printing is desired. Even with my modest 12mp D700 I have made very pleasing copies of 120 film with an old 2.8/105mm Nikkor micro that sit perfectly happily in the website along with 135 format scans and straight digital captures.

I do think, however, that Kodak has to be very clever with pricing: make it too exclusive and the pleasure of reusing old stuff can rapidly turn to loss of enthusiasm! It's the tools, not so much the medium, I think.

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 07:01:06 am »

I know a few people caught up in the trend of shooting film... they are all using it in old MF cameras that make satisfying kerPlonk sounds when you press the button. The one whose work I like best uses Tmax, but another is into all sorts of colour... she loves finding expired rolls and cross-processing, for the randomness of the results. Another friend who used to run a minilab and sold his Hassy a few years back rolls his eyes and mumbles about good photography not being a random process. Another loves using the old Est German Wolwo??? slide film, which was the eastern block Kodachrome and died once the real deal started slipping through the iron curtain. Apparently it gives good results on a very specific colour palette over a very narrow exposure range... he is English, none of those who had to use it in the past have any interest. Nostalgia works like that, I guess.

Whatever works for your passions, I say.

i've never heard anyone pining for ekta though...

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 04:43:11 pm »

Seems Kodak may have plans to revive Kodachrome too.  :o  If it does happen, and if they use the same development process, maybe my unprocessed K200 from NYC in early 2002 will finally make it to the proper end of its life cycle.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/01/11/the-return-of-an-icon-will-kodak-bring-back-kodachrome

-Dave-
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:46:14 pm by Telecaster »

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 05:26:59 am »

Seems Kodak may have plans to revive Kodachrome too.  :o  If it does happen, and if they use the same development process, maybe my unprocessed K200 from NYC in early 2002 will finally make it to the proper end of its life cycle.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2017/01/11/the-return-of-an-icon-will-kodak-bring-back-kodachrome

-Dave-

I can see a 500 Series make sense...

(Of course, that would make my gear-oriented self-flagellation fears real once more; maybe not exactly what I needed right now.)

;-)

Rob

Rado

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 05:34:34 pm »

I used to shoot film (often E100VS) but only in 135 format. Please suggest some inexpensive second-hand MF gear for studio portrait work, I'd be willing to give it a try.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 09:45:23 pm »

I used to shoot film (often E100VS) but only in 135 format. Please suggest some inexpensive second-hand MF gear for studio portrait work, I'd be willing to give it a try.

The announcement only talks about 135 and Super-8 movie, no 120

Rado

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 05:40:49 am »

I know. But other films still exist in 120 format :-). I would probably try B/W first because I can still get that developed locally, unlike E6 films.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 08:55:22 am »

I know. But other films still exist in 120 format :-). I would probably try B/W first because I can still get that developed locally, unlike E6 films.

In that case, save your money and don't bother doing it at all. Unless you do your own D&P you will never know how well or otherwise you expose. That single factor will influence your end result far more than you may appreciate.

Not being flip, just honest.

Rob

Rado

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 09:08:19 am »

Fair enough. Money saved :-)

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 10:19:08 am »

Fair enough. Money saved :-)

But hey, that's not to imply that you should not do an easy conversion of the bathroom, simple matter of sticking Velcro to the sides of the window frame, then having a piece of blackout material made to which set of edges you sew the other part of the Velcro strip. You just stick the blackout mask to the window as needed. Wait for a few minutes to make sure your eyes have adjusted to darkness, and then check for light leaks. Processing B/W film is not rocket science: you only need to be able to repeat the process accurately each time to ensure you have cut out variables which will mess up any best intentions if you let them sneak in.

You don't have to print wet; once you've discovered what a properly exposed and developed negative looks lilke, you're ready to go! Either you can scan - if you want to bother - or do what I eventually did with the few 120 trannies I had left: copy them via a digital camera and process in the computer as normal. It's a trip worth trying if you do it properly.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 12:30:42 pm »

You don't even need to black-out your bathroom. Once I bought a film scanner, I only had a dark-bag for loading the reels and dropping them into a daylight tank.

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 03:05:16 pm »

You don't even need to black-out your bathroom. Once I bought a film scanner, I only had a dark-bag for loading the reels and dropping them into a daylight tank.

True; never had one of those bags, never felt happy with the idea of working away with my hands locked into a space! Doesn't feel Nature's way... ;-) (Hell's teeth, I even have fights with rubber kitchen gloves: they seldom seem to last me more than two weeks before the left hand - always the left hand - springs a leak in the same space: right between the fingers. Some, those two-toned horrors, seem to fold themselves at the colour separation as they are being used, and slowly, bit by bit, the top section ends up around the fingers. Domesticity is not my forte.)

When I had darkrooms, I used to like to spread the tanks, lids and reels etc. out in a standard pattern and, that way, I could find every single item simply by reaching to where I knew it had to be.

However, and this really harks back to another thread where I attempted to subdivide photography into component parts where each has its specific thrill as part of the whole, there were many times when after I thought I'd had a particularly good session with somebody and worked with interesting clothes etc. (not always my lot - had to shoot some horrors, too) I lost interest the moment the girl left the building studio and I would have been happy, client reactions aside, just to have closed the doors and gone home. I didn't dislike darkroom work, was pretty hot at it largely due to my early traning in the industrial unit where my trip began, but anything after the shoot that day was going to be an anticlimax; I had no interest in seeing the prints, the thrill for the day was gone. Other times, I just got on with it without any specific emotional pressures. In the end, I did nothing but colour trannies, and that was the best period of all. I was spared the digital experience and all the extra work that has brough to pro life. How beautiful the alternative of seeing you stuff on a big lightbox, where all you had to do was choose what you felt you wanted to show the clients and then simply do that, and then send in your invoice.

I realised some time ago that I really wouldn't have fitted in with the contemporary ways, with monitor-watchers adding their several tuppences all the time you're trying to get something going in front of you... I would probably have either frozen, or just exploded and alienated another client. Different times, different people and expectations.

Rob
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up