Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is a good laptop screen acceptable for all post work?  (Read 3974 times)

Alex Waugh

Is a good laptop screen acceptable for all post work?
« on: January 06, 2017, 10:47:28 pm »

Im eyeing off a Dell XPS 15, 100% sRGB and apparently fairly good for color critical work. Does anybody work 100% off a laptop? What affect does the changing viewing angle have? I could get a screen/keyboard/mouse setup if needed but id prefer not to.

At the moment I'm using an IPS Dell 27" monitor. Not perfect but pretty decent.

scyth

Re: Is a good laptop screen acceptable for all post work?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 12:02:16 am »

color critical
for some people "critical" involves (even if overkill) the likes of Eizo CG* calibrated with Discus while sitting in ~18% neutral grey painted from floor to ceiling, no windows, room, etc, etc, etc... your "critical" it seems does not require even a hood, so shall do

Pictus

• Retouching

graeme

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 11:59:29 am »

If you're happy with the results you're getting from your equipment then that equipment is acceptable. Enjoy.

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 09:50:05 pm »

Currently I do post processing on my 2010 MacBookPro,.... but looking to buy a wide gamut display. My laptop has only one viewing angle,.. straight on,... very limiting,... having a quality display to support editing is really something to seriously consider having. The BenQ SW2700PT 27" QHD is one I am looking at. The are others that are better , but also cost more.
Leszek, G

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 07:27:10 am »

I do not know, but check this
http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html

I have the 2016 15" MBP and it looks really good and definitely better than the earlier MBP retina screens. I'm not sure where it would fall in this list. I have the 5K LG screen on order and to be delivered within the next week or so. Now I use a Dell 32" 4K screen and I would say the MBP screen looks as good the big screen.

In terms og editing it is not only the quality of the screen but also the size. I find it much better to edit on a 27" or larger screen than the 15" on my MBP simply because of the size of the screen. I can better see the overall picture at once and at the same time also details. I have edited many pictures on the road and often come back with edits that were close to what I wanted when viewing on the big screen, but very often I would change the editing on the big screen. So my recommendation is to get an external screen if you go for a laptop only approach. This is what I do. I do not have a desktop computer.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 07:38:08 am »

Currently I do post processing on my 2010 MacBookPro,.... but looking to buy a wide gamut display. My laptop has only one viewing angle,.. straight on,... very limiting,... having a quality display to support editing is really something to seriously consider having. The BenQ SW2700PT 27" QHD is one I am looking at. The are others that are better , but also cost more.

I would recommend the new MBP pro's that have a really great screen and high DPI as well and they do not have this issue you mention. The new ones have a wider P3 gamut than the sRGB gamut before. There is a difference between P3 and Adobe RGB that many wide gamut monitors have but the question is how important and visible that is. No matter how good a laptop monitor is it is limited by size and a larger monitor like 27" or slightly more is what I would go for (well I have as now have the 32" 4K UP3214Q monitor but to be replaced by the 5K LG monitor which is also P3 gamut). With you current MBP the max resolution is 2560x1600, so the BenQ monitor you mention will be fine for the MBP you have. To upgrade to higher resolutions the iMac 5K might be the best option for you and keep the MBP, if you consider higher resolution as well.

Chris D

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 08:12:16 am »

The dell premier color laptop screens are great. Dell says they show 100% aRGB(which is a tad optimistic), but certainly a better screen for photo editing than the new mbp.  Consider also the precision 5500 and 7500 series. I have an nec monitor at home, but use my 7510 on the road. I switched over from a mbp a month or two ago and don't have any regrets... although maybe I'd get a 5510 for the form factor instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 08:37:17 am »

The dell premier color laptop screens are great. Dell says they show 100% aRGB(which is a tad optimistic), but certainly a better screen for photo editing than the new mbp.  Consider also the precision 5500 and 7500 series. I have an nec monitor at home, but use my 7510 on the road. I switched over from a mbp a month or two ago and don't have any regrets... although maybe I'd get a 5510 for the form factor instead.

Did you switch from the 2016 MBP to Dell?

Conner999

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 08:50:45 am »

We do a lot of our work on a pair of identical high-end late 2011 matte-screen 15" MBPs (we went with last ones you could DIY upgrade).  Screens are very good, more than 16GB would be nice with larger files, but isn't end of world. Biggest draw to a larger monitor is screen real estate. When using just laptop, the need to have to shift PS tool palettes around while editing and not so ideal ergos of a laptop (vene on stand) does make a larger monitor very appealing.

Keep thinking of adding say a  27" 5K iMac, etc, but fact that MBPs work really well, are bulletproof, we can swap for another if one dies, either are can used for tethering, both have FW and TB (that said USB3 would be nice for cheaper drives) and we can swap-out any drives/SSDs at will is very appealing...

In short, one can easily work from just a good laptop, but a nice larger screen has strong merit.

Chris D

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 08:54:18 am »

Did you switch from the 2016 MBP to Dell?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 09:06:31 am »

Just asking since you commented on the latest (2016) MBP as being inferior to the Delle screen. But maybe you just meant that the Dell had a larger colour gamut which is only one parameters in screen quality. In comparison with the my aRGB Dell 32" 4K screen the new MBP screen shows very well and better than the 2015 MBP. I have not seen the Dell laptop so will no comment on that.

Chris D

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 10:08:36 am »

Just asking since you commented on the latest (2016) MBP as being inferior to the Delle screen. But maybe you just meant that the Dell had a larger colour gamut which is only one parameters in screen quality. In comparison with the my aRGB Dell 32" 4K screen the new MBP screen shows very well and better than the 2015 MBP. I have not seen the Dell laptop so will no comment on that.

You're right, there is more to a good screen - color gamut is what I was comparing. It does happen to be one of the more important parameters, though!

In terms of the op's question, I've found the gamut and accuracy of the premier color screen to be great for overall and detailed color editing, but do agree that a 15 in screen is a bit small for everything.

Alex Waugh

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 04:38:06 pm »

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Good to get a couple of points of view. As for not using a hood, unfortunately I haven't been able to find an affordable one in Australia for a 27" screen. I edit in a windowless room without major point fighting, its the best I can do. Im currently debating between getting a Dell XPS 15" or Thinkpad X1 carbon. The carbon would definitely need an external screen and my old dell is dying. Both are powerful enough for the M43 files I'm pushing around. If the screens are good enough, as a few of you say they are i guess its just a case of real estate.

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 09:49:26 pm »

I would recommend the new MBP pro's that have a really great screen and high DPI as well and they do not have this issue you mention. The new ones have a wider P3 gamut than the sRGB gamut before. There is a difference between P3 and Adobe RGB that many wide gamut monitors have but the question is how important and visible that is. No matter how good a laptop monitor is it is limited by size and a larger monitor like 27" or slightly more is what I would go for (well I have as now have the 32" 4K UP3214Q monitor but to be replaced by the 5K LG monitor which is also P3 gamut). With you current MBP the max resolution is 2560x1600, so the BenQ monitor you mention will be fine for the MBP you have. To upgrade to higher resolutions the iMac 5K might be the best option for you and keep the MBP, if you consider higher resolution as well.

Hans, thanks so much for the info.  I plan to replace my 2010 MBP with a 2016 15" MB,  and was also seriously thinking about getting the LG 5K display as well.
Leszek, G

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 06:25:21 am »

Hans, thanks so much for the info.  I plan to replace my 2010 MBP with a 2016 15" MB,  and was also seriously thinking about getting the LG 5K display as well.

I will be happy to report on what I think about the LG display when I get it. I will expect that it works great, since Apple has worked with LG on getting this device to work great with the 2016 MBP. From what I heard they needed to do special engineering to make the monitor run 5K through a single cable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up