Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7800-Moving Up From My Trusty Workhorse  (Read 4013 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Epson 7800-Moving Up From My Trusty Workhorse
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 01:16:07 pm »

Thanks, Wayne good info..how often do you switch blacks?
For the last couple of months I switch about once a week.
How many prints a week do you average?..rough numbers of course
I print only large prints, but it goes in streaks.  I've had a couple of months where I didn't print anything.  Since November I've been printing 6 to 10 large prints a week, usually 36 or 44" paper by 7 or 8 feet long and several smaller prints a week, 30x40/40x50 type sizes.  I also print quite a few test prints (13x19) and preliminary evaluation prints (24x30) when I'm working on images to be in my gallery

What's your opinion regarding general image quality improvement over several generations from the 7800/*800 series printers up until this product line? Color, blacks, general look of prints? I guess I'm hoping for a big enough difference to justify this move
Visible difference is there, but I haven't printed from a 7800 series printer for a great many years. I believe each generation to me as offered subtle improvements, which would indicate the difference between a 7800 print and a p7000 might be pretty obvious, since it's 3 generations of improvements.  But there are a lot of other variables including the skill in post processing of the file and the skill of the operator in the printing process.
Also, what kinds of adjustments did you have to make regarding printing older work-matching prints made on older equipment?
Most don't require any adjustment, but some might see some improvements if some adjustments are made.  For example some images I reworked and was able to get a little more shadow detail with my p9000 (extremely subtle).  One image I felt the shadow detail was too strong and actually darkened the shadows a little. But then I've been printing with a 9900 for 6 years now.  In my current portfolio I don't have any images that were taken back when I was using the 9800.  I moved to the 11880 within a week of it's being released ... I think that was in 2007[/quote]

Are you finding that profiles provided by paper manufacturers, made for this printer are good enough? Are you making your own profiles?
Most manufacturer profiles are pretty good.  I make my own because I've found that there are slight differences between papers and if I make my own I can get nearly a perfect match between papers like Luster and exhibition fiber or Legacy baryta.  I have an iSis, and have a standard target of 4101 patches so it's pretty easy to run a new profile when I get a new paper.

also, I've always done my BW work via Epson ABW..curious to know if ABW has been upgraded in functionality in any way for these new machines?
I don't use ABW.  sorry can't help you there.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up