Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS2  (Read 3737 times)

goer

Photoshop CS2
« on: July 18, 2006, 10:35:06 am »

I have 4GB of ram, the latest G5, all the crap any good digital idiot could want or need, and yet I'm still to big of an idiot to figure some stuff out. Here is the question. CS2 is the only thing running. Sometimes when I go to use vanishing point filter it shuts Photoshop down. Why is that. Usually won't fix itself till I reboot the Mac. Thanks for any and all help.

Raw shooter

Photoshop CS2
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 12:47:06 pm »

Sounds like you may just need a PC!
Of course I'm just joking
My Photoshop CS2 sometimes crashes when I use the filter 'Lighting effects'.  Actually happens enough that I learn to close everything prior to using that filter.
Sounds like your problem actually keeps you from using vanishing point all together.
You do have a second hard drive as your scratch disk for Photoshop?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 12:47:46 pm by Raw shooter »

goer

Photoshop CS2
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 03:17:21 pm »

Sounds like you may just need a PC!
Of course I'm just joking
My Photoshop CS2 sometimes crashes when I use the filter 'Lighting effects'.  Actually happens enough that I learn to close everything prior to using that filter.
Sounds like your problem actually keeps you from using vanishing point all together.
You do have a second hard drive as your scratch disk for Photoshop?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I thumb my nose in your general direction. PC right. To truely show my ignorance, I'm going to ask what you mean by scratch disk. I have two extra hard drives, but don't know what a scratch disk is. Your right I can't use vanishing point until I restart the machine.

Raw shooter

Photoshop CS2
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 03:55:31 pm »

Sorry about the PC comment, just a little joke that passes for neverending fun with imaging users.  The info below is directly about a PC setup, but my guess is that the Mac will be the same.  I used Macs years ago, but it seemed that Photoshop was virtually the same on both platforms when I switched.  Other programs were quite different, sometimes, but Photoshop should be the same.

Although you have 4GB of RAM, this should help. You do have extra drives, so this should be a default setting for you anyway. ** if you do change the drive letter for the scratch disks, then restart Photoshop to see the results.

The Scratch disk:  When your system does not have enough RAM to perform an operation, Photoshop uses a proprietary virtual memory technology, also called scratch disks. A scratch disk is any drive or drive partition with free memory. By default, Photoshop uses the hard drive on which the operating system is installed as the primary scratch disk.
In the Plug‑ins & Scratch Disks preferences in Photoshop (under EDIT> Preferences>Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks), you can change the primary scratch disk and designate a second, third, or fourth scratch disk to be used when the primary disk is full. Your primary scratch disk should be your fastest hard disk; make sure it has plenty of defragmented space available.
*For best performance, scratch disks should be on a different drive than any large files you are editing.
*Scratch disks should be on a different drive than the one used for virtual memory.
*Scratch disks should be conventional (nonremovable) media.

You would also benefit from increasing the Memory Usage, especially since you have so much. (Edit> Preferences>Memory & Image Cache) It is listed as a % of your total RAM. Up it to at least 75%(opinion only) Test different settings and see if your Photoshop starts behaving properly.

goer

Photoshop CS2
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:22:01 pm »

Thanks Raw shooter. So what your saying is this scratch drive could be my Lacie hard drive which is separate from the Mac. Thanks for all the suggestions I'll try them tomorrow.
As for PC's, I don't have enough personal RAM to handle one. They all do the same thing in the end.

francois

Photoshop CS2
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 04:02:56 am »

I have 4GB of ram, the latest G5, all the crap any good digital idiot could want or need, and yet I'm still to big of an idiot to figure some stuff out. Here is the question. CS2 is the only thing running. Sometimes when I go to use vanishing point filter it shuts Photoshop down. Why is that. Usually won't fix itself till I reboot the Mac. Thanks for any and all help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71003\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
FWIW, I have never been able to use vanishing point on my Macs. Sometimes it works but most of the time Photoshop crashes. I never found any workaround  

You may try to logout instead of rebooting your Mac?
Francois

Raw shooter

Photoshop CS2
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 03:31:43 pm »

Goer,

If your Lacie is an external hard drive, then no, it would not be a good scratch disk.  The scratch disk should be an internal (like a fast SATA) drive for this change to help.
You would benefit from installing a second hard drive in your computer for numerous reasons.

And yes, PC's and Mac's are the same - an far less important than our 'human' user skills. (the jokes are great and hopefully they will never stop!)

All my best

anurag840

Photoshop CS2
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 04:58:55 pm »

hi
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 05:00:37 pm by anurag840 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up