Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with the Fujinon 10-24 lens  (Read 7948 times)

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
Problem with the Fujinon 10-24 lens
« on: January 05, 2017, 02:18:37 pm »

In the fall, after considerable thought and research, I bought the Fujinon XF10-24mmF4 R OIS for a trip to the UK.

Back home in Canada I began to edit my photos. I was extremely disappointed to see many of the images made with this lens were unsharp in the top right corner. I'm not talking slightly unsharp -- I mean they were totally blurry over an area extending about a quarter of the way into the image.

Also, on one shoot, the lens, combined with my X-Pro2, produced extreme vignetting. The only way I could get rid of the effect was to reset the camera.

The blur seemed to worsen at the longer end of the zoom -- about 18-24mm.

Anone else come across this problem? I did find mention on another forum.

Anyway, it's in a Fuji. Been there a week. In the meantime, glad I didn't sell the rest of my DSLR gear.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Problem with the Fujinon 10-24 lens
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:19:39 pm »

Sounds like a decentered lens element.

A couple of years ago my Carl Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 Distagon suddenly exhibited the same behavior.  The upside is that when I got it back, after being repaired and then hand tuned by a very experienced technician in Germany (not at Cosina in Japan), the lens performed at much higher levels than even before the problem occurred.

RPark

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 02:41:05 pm »

Here's hoping I get similar results from Fuji.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 04:31:42 pm »

It's unfortunate you've experienced the problem. 

My 10-24 has exceeded my expectations and has always provided tack sharp photos.  Other than not being WR I can't think of a thing I'd change in the lens.
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:26:26 pm »

I had some shots with a blurred corner left upper (in landscape) but I didn't pixel peep enough on most shots to see it often enough to become really annoying.
On a particular shot that I elected to print despite the blurred corner it was just that corner, the rest of the image was fine. Other shots in the series weren't affected. It probably is related at some extent to the OIS also.

RPark

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 12:08:16 am »

It's unfortunate you've experienced the problem. 

My 10-24 has exceeded my expectations and has always provided tack sharp photos.  Other than not being WR I can't think of a thing I'd change in the lens.

Yes, I can see the potential for this lens, despite the failure of the one I bought. I hope Fuji will reestablish my otherwise happy experience with the system. The 23mm f1.4 is simply one of the best lenses I've ever used.

RPark

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 11:01:30 pm »

Nearly 1 month on, still waiting for Fuji to return my lens. Not happy.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 07:05:01 am »

The corner problem does sound like a decentered element. I had a 23mm f/1.4 with that issue, and Fuji repair took care of it.

The "extreme vignetting" problem sounds like you accidentally changed the shooting mode to "toy camera" which is really easy to do inadvertently. I get this a couple of times a month when I bump the drive mode button and move to "advanced filters" without noticing. A full reset would fix it, which is another thing that makes me think this is the problem. You might try choosing that drive mode setting to see if it looks the same as your problem.

Hope you get your lens back soon, and fixed.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

RPark

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 04:23:04 pm »

Thank you for the tip, Ken. I suppose that would be possible -- hitting the drive mode a couple of times would do it. Wish there was a way to disable that option -- can't see me using it.

The corner problem does sound like a decentered element. I had a 23mm f/1.4 with that issue, and Fuji repair took care of it.

The "extreme vignetting" problem sounds like you accidentally changed the shooting mode to "toy camera" which is really easy to do inadvertently. I get this a couple of times a month when I bump the drive mode button and move to "advanced filters" without noticing. A full reset would fix it, which is another thing that makes me think this is the problem. You might try choosing that drive mode setting to see if it looks the same as your problem.

Hope you get your lens back soon, and fixed.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 07:05:11 pm »

It's possible to disable all the buttons on the 4-way controller, and I usually disable most of them.

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

RPark

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 02:34:18 am »

Thanks again.

It's possible to disable all the buttons on the 4-way controller, and I usually disable most of them.

RPark

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 02:39:08 am »

Belated update. I did get my lens back, after a month. All fixed under warrantee. They didn't make note of what they did but it is sharp at all apertures now.

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 10:00:11 am »

Super!  I'm glad they were able to get things back on track for you.
Regards,
Ron

RPark

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 11:19:24 am »

Super!  I'm glad they were able to get things back on track for you.

Thanks, Ron. Like you, I'm really happy to have this lens in my bag. One of its virtues is the minimum 9˝ focus. Used that to full advantage in a field of daffodils last week!

It has come in handy over the last 6 months (minus the month in the hospital :) ) during renovations to the new digs, when I've grabbed a few "before and after" snapshots as projects progressed. As soon as these are wrapped up, I'm hoping to get away, at least for a weekend, to hunt landscapes.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 11:26:04 am »

I just used it for the bulk of my shots in southern Utah and it's a very versatile lens. Slightly dissapointed by OIS at times but it was likely some user error - shot handheld a lot of bracketing and some of the slower exposures are blurry at shutter speeds where I would have hoped for sharp images.
Used in some rain (got wet) but survived without issues. On the other hand there is a dust speckle just behind the back element that it's pretty central. It doesn't seem to affect the quality much if any and I keep debating if I should send it back for cleaning.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 11:27:53 am »

Thanks, Ron. Like you, I'm really happy to have this lens in my bag. One of its virtues is the minimum 9˝ focus. Used that to full advantage in a field of daffodils last week!

Ditto, the close focus distance is a bonus!

RPark

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 12:15:18 pm »

I just used it for the bulk of my shots in southern Utah and it's a very versatile lens. Slightly dissapointed by OIS at times but it was likely some user error - shot handheld a lot of bracketing and some of the slower exposures are blurry at shutter speeds where I would have hoped for sharp images.

That's interesting. I'm guessing you used the stabilization mode. I've found the lens very forgiving at slower shutter speeds. Still, under those circumstances, I use a tripod when I can.

Used in some rain (got wet) but survived without issues. On the other hand there is a dust speckle just behind the back element that it's pretty central. It doesn't seem to affect the quality much if any and I keep debating if I should send it back for cleaning.

I'm interested to hear that as the lack of weather resistance is the drawback of the lens. I've tended to leave it in the bag in bad weather.

Incidentally, I see from your website bio you were introduced to photography via a Zenit. I have a tag on my site dedicated to the Zenit-E which played a part in my early adventures in photography. You have some nice work on your site.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 02:11:16 pm »

Thank you. I was canyoneering with the family and took the chance despite the rain. Obviously I tried to avoid keeping it out in the rain for extended periods but it got sprinkled plenty. I think the fact that the zooming is internal gives it an above average resistance for a non WR lens. One of the plastic sleeves works quite well to give additional protection but this time I didn't expect rain.

rdonson

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 04:30:03 pm »

The 10-24 isn't WR but I've had some light rain on it without any adverse effect.  That's said I'm not going to push my luck too much in the rain.

The 10-24 has always delivered great results for me even though it doesn't have the vaunted Fuji red badge.
Regards,
Ron

RPark

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 05:44:55 pm »

The 10-24 isn't WR but I've had some light rain on it without any adverse effect.  That's said I'm not going to push my luck too much in the rain.

The 10-24 has always delivered great results for me even though it doesn't have the vaunted Fuji red badge.

Yes, I've chanced it in light rain without problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up