Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with the Fujinon 10-24 lens  (Read 1198 times)

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
Problem with the Fujinon 10-24 lens
« on: January 05, 2017, 02:18:37 PM »

In the fall, after considerable thought and research, I bought the Fujinon XF10-24mmF4 R OIS for a trip to the UK.

Back home in Canada I began to edit my photos. I was extremely disappointed to see many of the images made with this lens were unsharp in the top right corner. I'm not talking slightly unsharp -- I mean they were totally blurry over an area extending about a quarter of the way into the image.

Also, on one shoot, the lens, combined with my X-Pro2, produced extreme vignetting. The only way I could get rid of the effect was to reset the camera.

The blur seemed to worsen at the longer end of the zoom -- about 18-24mm.

Anone else come across this problem? I did find mention on another forum.

Anyway, it's in a Fuji. Been there a week. In the meantime, glad I didn't sell the rest of my DSLR gear.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Problem with the Fujinon 10-24 lens
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:19:39 PM »

Sounds like a decentered lens element.

A couple of years ago my Carl Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 Distagon suddenly exhibited the same behavior.  The upside is that when I got it back, after being repaired and then hand tuned by a very experienced technician in Germany (not at Cosina in Japan), the lens performed at much higher levels than even before the problem occurred.

RPark

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »

Here's hoping I get similar results from Fuji.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 04:31:42 PM »

It's unfortunate you've experienced the problem. 

My 10-24 has exceeded my expectations and has always provided tack sharp photos.  Other than not being WR I can't think of a thing I'd change in the lens.
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:26:26 PM »

I had some shots with a blurred corner left upper (in landscape) but I didn't pixel peep enough on most shots to see it often enough to become really annoying.
On a particular shot that I elected to print despite the blurred corner it was just that corner, the rest of the image was fine. Other shots in the series weren't affected. It probably is related at some extent to the OIS also.

RPark

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 12:08:16 AM »

It's unfortunate you've experienced the problem. 

My 10-24 has exceeded my expectations and has always provided tack sharp photos.  Other than not being WR I can't think of a thing I'd change in the lens.

Yes, I can see the potential for this lens, despite the failure of the one I bought. I hope Fuji will reestablish my otherwise happy experience with the system. The 23mm f1.4 is simply one of the best lenses I've ever used.

RPark

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 11:01:30 PM »

Nearly 1 month on, still waiting for Fuji to return my lens. Not happy.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 07:05:01 AM »

The corner problem does sound like a decentered element. I had a 23mm f/1.4 with that issue, and Fuji repair took care of it.

The "extreme vignetting" problem sounds like you accidentally changed the shooting mode to "toy camera" which is really easy to do inadvertently. I get this a couple of times a month when I bump the drive mode button and move to "advanced filters" without noticing. A full reset would fix it, which is another thing that makes me think this is the problem. You might try choosing that drive mode setting to see if it looks the same as your problem.

Hope you get your lens back soon, and fixed.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. Images: Work photos. Personal photos.

RPark

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 04:23:04 PM »

Thank you for the tip, Ken. I suppose that would be possible -- hitting the drive mode a couple of times would do it. Wish there was a way to disable that option -- can't see me using it.

The corner problem does sound like a decentered element. I had a 23mm f/1.4 with that issue, and Fuji repair took care of it.

The "extreme vignetting" problem sounds like you accidentally changed the shooting mode to "toy camera" which is really easy to do inadvertently. I get this a couple of times a month when I bump the drive mode button and move to "advanced filters" without noticing. A full reset would fix it, which is another thing that makes me think this is the problem. You might try choosing that drive mode setting to see if it looks the same as your problem.

Hope you get your lens back soon, and fixed.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 07:05:11 PM »

It's possible to disable all the buttons on the 4-way controller, and I usually disable most of them.

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. Images: Work photos. Personal photos.

RPark

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 02:34:18 AM »

Thanks again.

It's possible to disable all the buttons on the 4-way controller, and I usually disable most of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up