Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of shots  (Read 3374 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
Re: A couple of shots
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 03:22:21 am »

You guys are certainly making me think. I will perhaps tackle the top right corner in colour.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 03:49:55 am »

I'm with Russ, even though my own preference is usually for B&W. Here, I feel the color really adds.

+1.

Jeremy

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 12:15:04 pm »

I hope I don't confuse by saying this but, to me, #2 is by far the better image.

The issue of the geometry between that window and the shadows angling across the wall in image #1 doesn't really strike me as particularly meaningful, either as an abstract concept or a concrete object.

Now, when looking at #2 the whole situation is changed: the storytelling potential in that scarred old door, a crumbling wall, and those peeling posters is immense!
I could envisage putting several good novelists in front of this images and watch them come up with several unique plots for a good novel just from what is contained in that highly intriguing image.
It reminds me a little of some of the images Michael Reichmann shot in that town in Mexico where he used to go during winter-time. Such simple compositions yet so rich and evocative.

I truly have no idea what your club might make of either image, but, for me, #2 is a winner!

Tony Jay

I understand what you're saying, Tony, and agree to some extent. To me, though, the interest is in the strongman poster, not the photograph itself. I find myself looking at the details of the poster, not as a photograph but as a poster. So is it a successful photograph or a successful human interest poster? Just a thought.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 12:21:06 pm »

I really wanted to use that poster without just reproducing it but I suspect at heart I failed. I'll see what other shots I have, I think I took three in all.

Mike

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 12:25:20 pm »

I really wanted to use that poster without just reproducing it but I suspect at heart I failed. I'll see what other shots I have, I think I took three in all.

Mike

No, you didn't fail. I just like the first photo more than the second. But that's just me. Tony has a good point.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 12:26:31 pm »

I prefer the first as well, but the second one doesn't work as I hoped it might.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up