Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple of shots  (Read 3372 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
A couple of shots
« on: January 05, 2017, 12:10:17 pm »

Any thoughts? Potential club entries.

and

Mike

N80

Re: A couple of shots
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:07:05 pm »

Minimalist. Good color. Shot #2 draws me in a little more. Shot #1 stands as an abstract and in that regard I like it.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 02:37:31 pm »

Minimalist. Good color. Shot #2 draws me in a little more. Shot #1 stands as an abstract and in that regard I like it.

I'll offer an inverse opinion: #2 does nothing for me but I like #1 a lot.

Jeremy

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 03:04:46 pm »

Both have interesting details and both cause me to stop and think and wonder. IMO, the first would make a more interesting print on a wall as it doesn't explain anything. While the second is also interesting and it, too, doesn't really explain anything either, it is more direct and less whimsical. I think the figures on the pages draws me in, but there isn't the dynamic of the first photo to cause me to stop and ponder.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 03:11:20 pm »

I vote for #1, too. It feels to me as if it depicts an "abstract" battle between the "straights" and the "angles" (geometric street gangs).
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 01:52:01 am »

Thank you once again for your thoughts and support.

I don't think any of my photographs explain anything, they simply are what I see as I wander about.

The wall was an obvious choice having the colour and geometry but the strong man poster was I thought a bit more subtle and does involve a level of humanity and avoids 'wow! India' by the skin of its teeth!

Mike

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 03:24:59 am »

I hope I don't confuse by saying this but, to me, #2 is by far the better image.

The issue of the geometry between that window and the shadows angling across the wall in image #1 doesn't really strike me as particularly meaningful, either as an abstract concept or a concrete object.

Now, when looking at #2 the whole situation is changed: the storytelling potential in that scarred old door, a crumbling wall, and those peeling posters is immense!
I could envisage putting several good novelists in front of this images and watch them come up with several unique plots for a good novel just from what is contained in that highly intriguing image.
It reminds me a little of some of the images Michael Reichmann shot in that town in Mexico where he used to go during winter-time. Such simple compositions yet so rich and evocative.

I truly have no idea what your club might make of either image, but, for me, #2 is a winner!

Tony Jay

N80

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 04:05:33 pm »

I truly have no idea what your club might make of either image, but, for me, #2 is a winner!

Tony Jay

Good point. I've never been in a brick-and-mortar photography club, mostly just internet groups. My experience with a good many internet groups that critique photos is that they're looking for post cards and Nat. Geo. covers ("there needs to be a bird in that landscape", "never put the horizon in the middle", etc etc ). Cooky cutter stuff. LuLa seems different. I'm sure it all depends on the individuals involved.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 05:09:07 pm »

Tony - that's a very interesting response and I take your point about the second image offering a lot of potential for building a story. Nice way to look at an image even though it's pretty much devoid of people.

I printed the first image and I was very disappointed, it seems to be better on screen than on paper which is unusual in my experience. I may print the second one just to see how it feels.

N80 - in the UK club photography is an odd beast, much as you describe your on-line experience and for a while I was so incensed by the competition judges comments about my shots I stopped entering. On occasion they really were fat headed and imbecilic comments however with some outstanding exceptions.

That said I totally recommend joining a club I have found meeting and talking photography with a bunch of friendly people to be very rewarding. Just don't get dragged into the club mentality to photography as optimised by the Smethwick Club locally and I fear the RPS nationally.

Mostly my photographs just cause amusement as either of these would.

They put up with me with great good grace and as I say I can totally recommend the right club as if you're lucky you'll learn so much and I thought I had pretty high standards but the wonderful club members encouraged me to raise them by a quantum leap. I tried three clubs before settling on good old Kidderminster Camera Club.

Mike

John R

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 10:52:57 am »

Abstracts as "winners" in club settings is difficult at best. To win they have to be spectacular, not merely good. My guess is that most people simply can't relate to most abstracts. They are almost personal. When they can relate, they tell you why they like it. The second shot, though somewhat abstract, can also be seen as urban decay. But you have so many many good shots from what I have seen, so consider those also.

JR

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 11:34:47 am »

The second is quite Walker Evansish.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

graeme

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 11:50:51 am »

#1 for me but 2 is growing on me & I'd be interested to see a BW conversion.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 12:10:10 pm »

JohnR - I sometimes have success with an abstract, or something close to abstract where you can still identify what is making up the image (as of course you can here). Thank you for the kind words regarding my other shots :)

B&W for #2, I'll take a look this evening.

Mike

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 04:41:01 pm »

I think it might be better in B&W

Mike

Tony Jay

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 05:09:31 pm »

I think it might be better in B&W

Mike
Yes, it changes the feel of the image a bit doesn't?
But, still a fine result!

Tony Jay

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 08:25:19 am »

I far prefer the B&W version, which prevents the old sign-writing in the lower centre from dominating the details of the door and the poster. Or at least that's my post-hoc rationalisation of my gut reaction :)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 08:26:41 am »

I think I agree, the strong men gain strength in B&W and the geometry of the door is also stronger.

Mike

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 09:43:25 am »

I don't agree. Walker Evans used to do this kind of thing mostly in B&W because in those days color was difficult if not impossible to control. He also shot things like broken walls and signs in B&W when the heart of the subject was strong graphics. That isn't the case here. With digital color is controllable, and this shot isn't primarily a study in graphics. I think the clash of color is an important part of this shot.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 12:34:31 pm »

I don't agree. Walker Evans used to do this kind of thing mostly in B&W because in those days color was difficult if not impossible to control. He also shot things like broken walls and signs in B&W when the heart of the subject was strong graphics. That isn't the case here. With digital color is controllable, and this shot isn't primarily a study in graphics. I think the clash of color is an important part of this shot.
I'm with Russ, even though my own preference is usually for B&W. Here, I feel the color really adds.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 02:20:08 pm »

What Russ said about B & W is on the mark.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up