Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad Acquired By DJI  (Read 59658 times)

Domenico

• My 500px portfolio
Re: Hasselblad Acquired By DJI
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2017, 08:23:17 am »

Could be much worse!

Off course It could... 
Best Regards,   Domenico.

vjbelle

« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2017, 08:35:44 am »

I blame Trump, but there again who in their right mind doesn't?

My God..... 8 pages of gibberish and now a Trump hater!!  Why don't you stick to the topic and keep your political thoughts to yourself.... OK Klaban?

Victor
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:40:10 am by vjbelle »

DrakeJ

« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2017, 09:07:57 am »

The mad Trump hatter! Sorry, had to do it. Carry on.

Krug

« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2017, 09:23:16 am »

As I said - politely i hope - in an earlier post i think this was an unfortunate article but even if that is accepted it has spawned a lot of unnecessary and intemperate debate.

Can we PLEASE get back to the polite, reasoned, factually based discussion of photography that has distinguished Lula from most photography sites.

I have been keen reader of this site for more than 10 years and would be very sad indeed if it were to lose its traditional tone.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

vjbelle

« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2017, 09:38:25 am »

I'm many things but certainly not a Trump hatter!

But hey, get back to me when you can spell.

How silly of me.... naughty keyboard!  Please carry on with your brilliant posts.... soon you may make it to Sophomore status.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2017, 09:43:15 am »

So have I but it would also be very sad if it were to lose its sense of fun.
I agree, fun and humour are great.
Discussions are great.
Differences of opinion are great.

But why some people need to lower themselves to personal attacks is beyond me. It's only undermining their own credibility, totally useless and not in the spirit of this site.
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2017, 09:44:26 am »

...Geez, what would I do all day?...

Rob, after twelve years and over 15,000 posts on an internet forum I would have thought you could find something meaningful.

Seriously, you write particularly well and you're no slouch with a camera in your hand. I'd be first in line for that retrospective exhibition and book.

Forgive me, just the musings of a crazed, self-righteous moaner and newbie. ;-)

Happy New Year, my friend.

Hey, Keith!

And a public, Happy New Year to you too! I see we both need forgiveness for the same set of sins!

Books, exhibitions, wonderful notions both, but who wants to offer me either of those goodies? During my last prolonged sabbatical (sadly, an unpaid one) I put together a book concept - my second - and at the end, it hit exactly the same buffers as did the first one. I have become convinced that only if you have a world-wide name (and a little notoriety helps too) can any publisher be sane and publish your photo-book at the same time. I have zero interest in vanity publishing, not least because of what the hell to do with even a small bunch of books, which is almost as bad as - if not worse than - finding storage space in an apartment for thirty framed prints for a small exhibition! You may remember me mentioning some years ago - just after Ann died - that I'd been offered a show at a local gallery for a date about six months ahead. One day, I bumped into the lady gallerista (they are all ladies women, here) who had given me the show, and she said oh, by the way, no show: not doing any new stuff right now because of the crisis (2008/2009 period). How glad was I not to have given way to euphoria and instantly spending over a grand on framing! And she was fibbing: a painter I know, and to whom I told the tale within a while or so of being bounced, said what crap: there's a new show on right now. Of paintings.

I think a website will be about as far as it gets. But I enjoy the faith you showed!

;-)

Rob

LHL

« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2017, 12:14:36 pm »

well written piece!

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2017, 12:20:40 pm »

Nice journalism Kevin, thanks.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2017, 12:42:40 pm »

FWIW, Ming Thein who is a Hasselblad ambassador has posted an article about the story on his blog.
Ming Thein's blog article looks to me to be one of the most balanced and well-written pieces on this issue. Well worth reading.

landscapephoto

« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2017, 12:46:53 pm »

"The figures of 30000 units changes everything."

Well it sure does. What with a rash of aggressive posts from several low-posting writers suddenly breaking through the woodwork and making declarations of war on LuLa, I'm lead to suspect that one of the changes referred to above is that a fresh conspiracy is being hatched! It will be fascinating to see how that pans out. Will the Rollei people suddenly break their silence and join ranks with Exakta and Bronica in fresh accusations of malice aforethought? Is Kodak planning a lawsuit? Will Santa panic and fill every sock with a complete kit of Hassy stuff in the model of your desires and/or fantasies?

Furthermore, and worst of all, after all these years of visiting LuLa and adding my couple of cents-worth most days, I'm ashamed not to have realised that its sole raison d'être all along has been to foster sales of MF cameras! Silly me - to think I'd imagined it to be about talking and taking snaps, about considering the work of photographers one admires, looking at fellow snapper's images... oh dear, what a fool I've been all this long while! Life can never be the same - I feel cheated! I want my years back! I want a free Brand X! Never mind that I was taught how to calibrate my monitors, forget that I picked up a lot of information about doing things with Photoshop; that counts for nothing, because what counts is that the owner of this dreadful site has not unfailingly kissed the right ass! Opinion on which may be the right ass will inevitably vary from furious scribe to enraged scribe, and certainly ensure this poor owner will have to spend a lot of contrite time on his knees if he's to keep the fans happy! On the other hand, as his predecessor had sometimes remarked, and I paraphrase: "I may just close the place down and get on with my life without the agro."  I'm sure it's a doable option. Which I hope he isn't tempted to pursue. Geez, what would I do all day? Which leads me to wonder: in whose interests would such an event be?

For my part, the sooner the self-righteous moaners go, the better! I shall grieve them in private silence.

Rob C

There is no need for all this drama. The figure of 30000 units changes everything because it implies that the vast majority of users are not on lula. Now, at the beginning of digital photography, lula was one of the top spots to learn about new technology, new advances and new cameras. Some of the articles here were amongst the most popular all over the internet. Lula was the place to be informed and, consequently, lula got some privileged access to info or test cameras, some manufacturers had representatives on the forums, advertisers were interested, etc...

For some reason I am not sure I understand, this is not really the case any more. I don't know where the action has gone and I am not saying it is lula's fault. Probably they could not have done it much differently, the Internet is full of once active forums deserted by their users.

Now, because the forums they are used to are slowly losing traction, some photographers believe that the entire industry is in crisis. It appears to make sense that there should be less photographers, particularly less MF photographers, if the place you meet them appears to be less and less active. But if the sales figure is true, we should realise that there are actually a lot more photographers willing to spend the price of a car on a MF camera. That changes everything. We just don't know exactly what has changed yet.

landscapephoto

« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2017, 12:48:23 pm »

The 30,000 figure is way far from being accurate so put that one to sleep.

If you could share a more accurate figure I would be interested.

speedyk

« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2017, 01:09:41 pm »

Thanks for the link to Ming's article.

tonywong

« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2017, 09:50:53 pm »

Ming Thein's blog article looks to me to be one of the most balanced and well-written pieces on this issue. Well worth reading.

+1, would subscribe again.  ;D

hubell

« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2017, 11:05:50 am »

For anyone who would like to see just how differently the rumor about DJI acquiring majority control of Hasselblad could have been reported from the way way Kevin Raber chose to "report" it, the story from LuLa was picked up by Tech Crunch. After simply describing the rumor as reported by LuLa, Tech Crunch went on to say the following as commentary.

"Hasselblad, which was founded in 1941, was once known for making the most advanced cameras on the market. Their cameras were even used by NASA throughout the 60s, meaning theirs was the technology used to create those iconic moon photographs from the Apollo missions. DJI is the privately held, venture-backed leader in a burgeoning new hardware segment, consumer and commercial drones.

While Hasselblad’s cameras are known as some of the best on the market, they are prohibitively expensive running anywhere from a few thousand dollars to more than $40,000 for a single SLR body. Questions are now swirling about how DJI will use, and possibly even manufacture, Hasselblad’s cameras.
Will DJI leave the business of Hasselblad to operate like an independent subsidiary, but continue to ensure its cameras are easily integrated with DJI’s drone rigs? Or will DJI use Hasselblad technology to entirely replace the cameras used in their consumer-level drones like the Phantom and Mavic? Either way, the deal seems like a win for both companies.

DJI’s cameras are actually pretty good, probably best in class, but they’ve been missing the name recognition of a company beloved of professional photographers. This deal provides them with the brand legacy, while also giving them access to some of the best albeit niche camera technology in the world.

And whether they like it or not, Hasselblad’s approach to focusing only on ultra high-end cameras hasn’t exactly paid off. The company has floundered in recent years, and ownership has changed hands multiple times with the most recent being a 2011 acquisition by Ventizz, a European private equity firm. Now they have a formidable parent company in DJI that is a powerhouse both in China and the U.S. with significant manufacturing advantages due to their size."

Strange, that report does not contain the subtext that the barbarians (i.e., the Chinese) are at the gate ready to trash the iconic brand, and the employees are already fleeing in mortal fear.

Kevin Raber is, of course, free to spin the rumor any way he wants. Just spare me the sanctimonious crap that he cares deeply about the medium format digital market and wants to see the few remaining companies in the space prosper so there is competition, because competition is good for us as photographers. Anyone who actually did care would not have spun the rumor the way he did. After all, here is what happens when you don't have competition. You have Phase One as the 800 lb. gorilla in the medium format digital market selling only very high priced solutions for $40,000+ for a camera body and lenses whose sheer size and weight are just a bad joke at this point for many of us. So who innovates and develops a radically different approach with the X1D and the GFX? Not Phase One!

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2017, 02:26:56 pm »

Strange, that report does not contain the subtext that the barbarians (i.e., the Chinese) are at the gate ready to trash the iconic brand, and the employees are already fleeing in mortal fear.
Neither did Kevin's article  ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

NickT

« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2017, 03:53:36 pm »

Interesting...

Kevin and Nick-T at 20 paces...

I don't think so. Kevin of course has very good sources and it is true that DJI have increased their holding in Hasselblad. I suspect that contracts are still being sorted and that once the legal stuff is tied up we'll hear officially from Hasselblad/DJI.

What I objected in the article was the suggestion that the company is somehow a shadow of it's former self because of the involvement of a mere drone company. No one ever said "Oh RED cameras suck because the guy used to make sunglasses".

DJI is a very successful and technologically savvy company, I think they will bring a great deal to Hasselblad, and I think the scare-mongering around Chinese involvement is just that (don't forget Shriro is Chinese!).

2016 was a huge year for Hasselblad and I think this year will be even bigger, can't wait to get hold of my X1D!

Cheers
Nick-T

hubell

« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2017, 04:35:49 pm »

There are five articles in january, four are member-only, one is open to all readers.

Sometimes it is the littlest of things that tell us so much.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2017, 05:33:40 pm »

And, your point is?  We publish articles every two-three days.  Sometimes I make an article an open article as I did with the Hasselblad story.  You can think what you want but I do like the HB brand.  I really like the X1D camera.  The review is well underway and will be published as soon as possible.  I don't report on rumors.  It's a very interesting time in the camera industry.  I believe the next few months may surprise all of us. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2017, 06:45:49 pm »

That'll be a Phase One mirrorless then.
Or some less mirrorless less
This Hasselblad seems Cameraless