Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: strange photshop behavior  (Read 2062 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
strange photshop behavior
« on: January 04, 2017, 01:26:14 pm »

Photoshop is exhibiting 2 strange behaviors

1-In many filters and adjustments, clicking on the preview check box shows the preview, but clicking on it again to turn off the preview does not return the image to the prior state--I cannot toggle on/off.  I used to be able to toggle.

2-When using a curves adjustment, I used the eyedropper to sample a tone-> the curves window closes and I have to reopen to select another point on the curve.  This window should remain open.

I have looked for something to changes in the Photoshop preferences but without success.

Any suggestion to fix these two items?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: strange photshop behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 03:31:57 pm »

Again, when Photoshop suddenly starts to do weird things and it isn't due to accidentally having the Caps Lock key enabled, the first thing to do is always to kill the Photoshop preferences file.  Here's what you need to do.

First, if you haven't saved your workspace, make sure you save and name your workspace so that you can get back to the same PS set-up after clearing the preferences file.

Next exit Photoshop.  Wait a few seconds to fully exit the program.
Now launch Photoshop and immediately, and I mean immediately, before the splash screen loads hit the Ctrl ALT and Shift keys simultaneously (Cmd, Opt, Shift on Mac).  This will load Photoshop and kill your preferences file.  Now re-load your saved workspace.  More often than not, this cures weird behavior in PS.  The preferences file in all Adobe [products tends to be prone to corruption.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 06:47:28 pm »

Reseting the preferences fixed the behavior in the curves adjustsment, but not the preview issue--no change in behavior
mdiimaging.com

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:57:08 pm »

Hmm interesting.  In my installation when you check and uncheck that box, the underlying image toggles back and forth, not the image in the preview box.  Pretty sure it's always been that way as far as I can remember but I don't often toggle that setting.

TonyW

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:51:52 am »

Hmm interesting.  In my installation when you check and uncheck that box, the underlying image toggles back and forth, not the image in the preview box.  Pretty sure it's always been that way as far as I can remember but I don't often toggle that setting.
All versions of PS I have used (Windows) exhibit the same behaviour.

When the box is checked the effect is shown in the main image window as well as the filter dialogue box.  Uncheck and the main image window will revert back to the original view but the filter dialogue box will show the filter effect. 

If you place your mouse cursor in the filter dialogue window on the image and click left mouse button the filter effect is temporarily removed until you release mouse button

My understanding is that the checkbox is there to enable faster viewing of the selected area once a filter applied to the small viewing area in the filter window rather than trying to apply to the whole file which could take considerable time depending on file size and filter type and settings

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 04:28:22 pm »

THE behavior you are describing is what should be happening but is not occurring, although this what is used to happen untill recently.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

TonyW

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 04:58:41 pm »

If you quit the filter dialogue by either cancel button or normal close window is the filter effect cancelled or applied to the image?

Usually reset preferences does the trick for many issues - I would try again just to make sure.

This may be a driver or graphics card issue, have you updated either recently?

You may want to check Edit>Preferences>Performance if the Use Graphics Processor is checked.  If yes then uncheck quit PS then restart.  If the problem goes away then the driver or card suspect

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 06:30:06 pm »

No recent updates.   Turned off and on the graphics card processing,  and changed from basic to Normal-->no effect on the problem

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 09:52:33 pm »

Additional issue--WHen using the blend if dialogue with preview on-> moving the sliders results in no change seen on the screen.  Toggling the preview->  no changes seen.

Do I need to resinatall PHotshop?
mdiimaging.com

TonyW

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 04:56:07 am »

Yes, at this stage if it was my system I would do an uninstall then reinstall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up