Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best photoshop mouse?  (Read 5559 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Best photoshop mouse?
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:46:53 pm »

Ready for a new one, my MX Performance is losing the left click button.  Suggestions?
Craig Lamson Photo

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Best photoshop mouse?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 11:36:42 pm »

Buy another, still one of the best mice out there
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 11:46:53 pm »

what makes it so good?

Craig Lamson

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 11:53:02 pm »

Buy another, still one of the best mice out there

I've been very happy with it, but I'm considering a gaming mouse with programmable buttons, or an MX Monster.
Craig Lamson Photo

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 06:28:29 am »

what makes it so good?

Hi Alan,

Always hard to compare with others, but I like it as well because of its fit to my hand, the resolution is good, it even works on a transparent glass surface, good wireless connection (Unifying receiver allows connection of up to 6 devices, like mice, keyboards and touchpads), recharges reasonably fast via USB, the scroll-wheel can switch between smooth and click rotation, and it allows middle mouse button and left right scolling functionality, good placement of forward/backward browser paging, application switching with the bottom of the thumb rest. Of course one can change the functionality of the buttons per application, if needed.

Other brands/types of mice have of course some similar features, but the mice I used in the past started causing issues faster than my Logitech does, so I guess it's rather durable given the daily workout it gets. It's only recently that my left mouse button starts to act up a bit, maybe some compressed air will help, or I'll get an new one.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:59:08 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Craig Lamson

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 09:48:44 am »

Hi Alan,

Always hard to compare with others, but I like it as well because of it's fit to my hand, the resolution is good, it even works on a transparent glass surface, good wireless connection (Unifying receiver allows connection of up to 6 devices, like mice, keyboards and touchpads), recharges reasonably fast via USB, the scroll-wheel can switch between smooth and click rotation, and it allows middle mouse button and left right scolling functionality, good placement of forward/backward browser paging, application switching with the bottom of the thumb rest. Of course one can change the functionality of the buttons per application, if needed.

Other brands/types of mice have of course some similar features, but the mice I used in the past started causing issues faster than my Logitech does, so I guess it's rather durable given the daily workout it gets. It's only recently that my left mouse button starts to act up a bit, maybe some compressed air will help, or I'll get an new one.

Cheers,
Bart

Left mouse button failure seems to be a common complaint. 
Craig Lamson Photo

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 11:05:21 am »

Left mouse button failure seems to be a common complaint.

Could be Craig, I never investigated it. I've used some compressed air now, and it seems to have helped. I'd expect some wear of contacts over time with heavy use though, and the left mouse button obviously gets most of the workout.

Cheers,
Bart

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 11:28:37 am »

Ready for a new one, my MX Performance is losing the left click button.  Suggestions?

Ever tried a wacom?
It is not for everyone, i understand, but for me it is soo much better than a mouse...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 01:30:47 pm »

Hand ergonomics are fairly personal. For the past several years, I have loved using the Razer Death Adder. If you can get past the Gamer name & website, it is a superb mouse.

FWIW I have a large hand

stamper

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 01:34:09 pm »

Ever tried a wacom?
It is not for everyone, i understand, but for me it is soo much better than a mouse...

+1

Craig Lamson

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 05:27:04 pm »

Ever tried a wacom?

Yep, hated it.   Sold it after a few months.  Now I have an iPad Pro, pencil and astropad.  Still not comfortable as working with a mouse for me.  The one upside is I can do clipping paths while sitting on the sofa 😀  I'm still a mouse guy.   Too many years of muscle memory I guess.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 10:46:21 pm by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 10:04:26 pm »

Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum Wired or Wireless Gaming Mouse

https://youtu.be/wgrGEKi5R5M

From http://www.eteknix.com/logitech-g900-chaos-spectrum-mouse-review/
“The G900 Chaos Spectrum utilizes the PMW3366 optical gaming sensor, which is
widely regarded as the best optical sensor on the market.
The PMW3366 sensor precisely translates hand movement onto the screen, even at
high-sensitivity. It delivers exceptionally accurate and consistent responsiveness
at any speed across the entire DPI range (200-12,000DPI) with zero acceleration
and zero smoothing
thanks to Delta Zero technology.” – Logitech

What is Delta Zero Technology from Logitech?
https://youtu.be/Vyoj2r3yppI

Craig Lamson

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 11:55:32 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  In the end I went with the Logitech MX Monster.  My Performance MX has been a workhorse, but its time to try something different.
Craig Lamson Photo

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 09:07:56 am »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  In the end I went with the Logitech MX Monster.  My Performance MX has been a workhorse, but its time to try something different.

Hi Craig,

I'm sure you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of the MX Master, after all it is a further development/refinement of the 6 year old Performance model design. It's also good to try something new from time to time.

In that same vain, I decided to try something new as well. I've done a lot of shooting and subsequent post-processing of thousands of images over the past year and a half. Part of the processing (mainly the masking and retouching part) was done with a Wacom Intuos tablet, and the rest with the mouse. During that processing, I developed some mild RSI-like complaints, alleviated by doing more shooting than postprocessing, and using the tablet more (because one can use it in different positions, like on one's lap instead of on a desktop).

Your post got me thinking about alternatives for my mouse and, after some more research, I've bit the bullet. I've purchased a Logitech G900, also because I got a good deal on it (otherwise it would be too expensive to try). I have no personal experience to report yet (it's supposed to be delivered this afternoon), but a few things looked attractive from the perspective of my type of use.

It's spoken of by people who have tested/used it in superlatives, especially for the things that matter to me. Low weight (>30% less than the Performance/Master model), meaning that with frequently picking it up and moving it to another place of my mouse mat, I need to use less gripping force to lift it. Also, it's supposed to have unparalleled accuracy combined with precision, due to the optical sensor, the resolution, and the high update frequency. It apparently also takes very little force to click the buttons, which might help to reduce strain. The fact that it is wireless seems to be unnoticeable in response, and the lack of a wire is a bonus. Battery life is reported to be very good (especially when light effects are switched off).

Whether it will fulfill its expectations, we'll find out. Just wanted to add some material for thought for future readers of this thread.

Cheers,
Bart

Craig Lamson

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 09:54:10 am »

Hi Bart,

I looked carefully at the G900, so I'll be interested to hear about your experiences with it.  My MX Master arrives today and I'll pass along my thoughts as well.

While waiting for the new mouse I rummaged through my old stuff looking for a mouse to use.  I had a marathon 705 which felt ok in the hand but the performance was poor.  Finally I tried a very old Microsoft wireless mouse which surpringly performed nicely, but wow the ergonomics were simply horrible.  The dead Peformance mouse really fit my hand well. 
Craig Lamson Photo

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 08:17:00 am »

Hi Bart,

I looked carefully at the G900, so I'll be interested to hear about your experiences with it.  My MX Master arrives today and I'll pass along my thoughts as well.

Okay, it's a bit soon for an experience report, but my initial impressions of the Logitech G900 are very positive, compared to the already pretty good Performance MX mouse that it will replace.

The G900 an expensive mouse, no doubt, but if it's durable enough to last several years then the daily user experience becomes more important. And this user's experience is very positive.

The mouse is very light, even if the battery to make it a wireless mouse adds some weight. Because it is so light, it glides very smoothly, and it's easy to lift and reposition on the mouse pad. It is smaller that I anticipated, but the Performance MX is huge by comparison, so it's probably something to get used to. I'm not sure if people with large hands find it too small, but that also depends on how one grips the mouse (Palm/Claw/Finger). The mouse can be used ambidextrously, which is also a bonus for left handed people because there are only a few mice suitable for left-handers. Buttons can be physically repositioned (using magnetic connectors), added or eliminated, or reprogrammed. So it can be configured to taste or for specific tasks, should one wish to do so. It can store 5 profiles in the mouse, so when used on another computer, the profiles are always available.

The G900 is very fast and responsive. When waking up from sleep mode (after 10 minutes of inactivity), it's fully active in perhaps less than half a second. From that moment on, it is as fast as (in some cases even faster than) wired mice. It has no problem following fast movements (it apparently can even follow 40G acceleration forces) and it shows no latency. It is (@ 1 millisecond, 1000 samples/second) polled faster than even the fastest displays can refresh their pixels. It apparently also does very well in situations with a lot of radio frequency noise. In my location, I'm surrounded by an increasing number of routers (with some 64 access points) from neighbors, all competing for similar frequencies in the 2.4 GHz bands, but the G900 is not bothered at all, it doesn't skip a beat. Lines that are drawn with the mouse (although I'd more likely use a tablet and pen for that), are smooth and do not jump positions. Only at the highest DPI settings, the mouse pointer moves so fast that (mostly lack of) manual dexterity causes inexact drawings.

What may turn out to be useful, is that the DPI sensitivity can be dynamically adjusted with 2 buttons on the mouse itself. If more precision is needed e.g. for detailed retouching, one can reduce the DPI setting to make the mouse pointer move slower for the same distance the mouse is moved. I know it can also be adjusted via the utility in the Windows system tray, but it's faster to do it directly on the mouse (so it might be used more often in practice). For very large displays (4K and 8K), the DPI setting can be increased to cover the larger number of pixels the pointer must travel.

For long document scrolling and browsing of long web pages, the scroll-wheel has the same ability as the Performance MX and Master mice. Flicking the wheel in free-run mode makes it continuously spin for almost 10 seconds while the document keeps scrolling on-screen. With the press of a button, the scroll wheel changes to using clicks to scroll line by line. The scroll wheel is easier to use for left/right scrolling than with my Performance MX.

Battery life looks good (some 80% left after one day of use), and switching off the light effects can add some additional 4 hours of battery life. Without lights and at the fastest polling setting it is rated at some 32 hours of continuous use, so several days to a week with moments of sleep and inactivity on a single charge, and the mouse can be recharged in a couple of hours via a very nice braided flexible USB cable. While charging goes on, the mouse can be used normally like a wired mouse. The mouse is supposed to function at the same high responsiveness level, regardless of the remaining charge level, and it uses an accurate capacity measurement method based on actual mA usage and remaining capacity. By changing responsiveness settings to a lower polling rate, one can reduce power consumption and achieve prolonged use. Power management during use seems to be very effectively controlled.

Here's a good review (from a gamer's perspective). For Photoshop and similar use, the requirements are a bit different but the responsiveness and reliability come in very handy and make it a joy to work with. Maybe some of the additional button options can be programmed to perform application-specific repetitive tasks.

That's it for the moment. Initially very expensive (compared to alternative mice), but very fast and reliable in actual use. So far, I'm happy with the choice I made.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:09:48 am by BartvanderWolf »

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 02:29:53 pm »

The the best mouse sensor is the PixArt PMW3366 used in some Logitech mouses like the G900 and the PixArt PMW3360
used in some other mouses, here the list http://on-winning.com/flawless-sensor-mouse-list-perfect/

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 10:38:18 am »

The the best mouse sensor is the PixArt PMW3366 used in some Logitech mouses like the G900 and the PixArt PMW3360
used in some other mouses, here the list http://on-winning.com/flawless-sensor-mouse-list-perfect/

Yes, it has a good reputation. Currently the G900 mouse, which houses that optical sensor, is a kind of flagship product for Logitech and it has a price to match. But looking at the time we spend using the mouse, each day, it is one of the more important controls for achieving out final results.

As I was boxing the replaced Performance MX, to serve as a backup (just in case something bad happens at a critical moment, close to a deadline), I found the original MX receipt. I have apparently been (ab)using that mouse for close to 5 years, and it's not totally useless yet. So if the G900 can serve me as long as that, the high initial purchase price doesn't come out all that bad. It's still expensive though, so others might want to consider other options (such as the MX Master) or wait for the price to drop when a successor is about to be announced.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:42:29 pm by BartvanderWolf »
Pages: [1]   Go Up