Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Best of 2016  (Read 2709 times)

hasselblad2017

• Art Gallery Hawaii
Re: My Best of 2016
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 02:56:57 pm »

I love Dream House.
All images are great. Real good. Makes me want to be there :-)
One thing I start to wonder nowadays when I look at photography.
Do we use too much saturation?
I love the bright vivid colors but isn't it too much?

I wouldn't be strong enough to bring that saturation down. Haha

I still want to go to all this places.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: My Best of 2016
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2017, 07:52:14 am »

I love Dream House.
All images are great. Real good. Makes me want to be there :-)
One thing I start to wonder nowadays when I look at photography.
Do we use too much saturation?
I love the bright vivid colors but isn't it too much?

I wouldn't be strong enough to bring that saturation down. Haha

I still want to go to all this places.

Thanks Rafal.

In my case I only sometimes touch the vibrance and even more seldom the saturation sliders. The colour and saturation only comes from the white balance setting and as a consequence of the contrast, white and black point settings as well as exposure and highlights and shadows. I often prefer the slightly underexposed look with white and black point settings at their limits (although often not at the limits but lower with a tone curve setting for contrast). Sometimes after the editing was done and all was to my taste, I felt the saturation was a bit too high. I then drag the vibrance slider to the negative side and more often than not I felt the image to loose it's life. When I feel colour disturbs the message or I simply can't get the colours to my taste (which happens) then I will go for b&w. The reason I answer like this is that there are so many opinions about saturation, but in my view it is not about saturation per se, but about how we edit our images. We may see it as saturation, but what really is at play (in my opinion) is the way the tonal scale is manipulated in terms of contrast and light distribution across the tonal scale.

When I look at your site I see the same thing happening, that you edit your pictures to send a certain message via the look, composition and explicit inclusion and exclusion of visual elements.

So is it too much or too little? In general terms I don't this can be answered in a meaningful way, only on an author (aka. photographer) and image basis. And then only by which taste and message you go for. And two years later the same image might look different if you started over from scratch. At least that is my experience. So my recommendation is to stay weak :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up