Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notice: Harman by Hahnemühle line will be discontinued  (Read 4745 times)

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Notice: Harman by Hahnemühle line will be discontinued
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:54:56 am »

I just received an official statement from Hahnemühle confirming what I was told a few months ago: the Harman by Hahnemühle line will be discontinued. There is one exception and I quote:
(...)we are pleased to announce that the popular Gloss Baryta 320 will be continued in the Hahnemühle Photo range under the name Photo Gloss Baryta 320 with a new improved coating. The improved coating formulation guarantees a homogeneous surface free of micro-cracks and top printing quality. In the Hahnemühle Photo range, Photo Gloss Baryta 320 will be available from April 2017 in the formats 8,5x11", 11x17", 13x19" and 17x22" as well as in rolls with 17", 24", 44" and 50" width.

Just to let you know.

Rado

Re: Notice: Harman by Hahnemühle line will be discontinued
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 12:16:20 pm »

Thanks for sharing the info. I've never seen nicer looking prints than when I tried the Gloss Baryta 320, but it curls too much - especially for paper this expensive. I wonder if the new version fixes that problem (probably not).

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 12:25:35 pm »

Same here, love the paper, but the extreme curl on rolls caused head strikes on all my printers and that is dangerous.

Thanks for sharing the info. I've never seen nicer looking prints than when I tried the Gloss Baryta 320, but it curls too much - especially for paper this expensive. I wonder if the new version fixes that problem (probably not).

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 01:20:38 pm »

How about the Warmtone version?
I like this paper, specailly the warmton baryta.

aaron

howardm

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 02:01:15 pm »

Seems like they discontinued the 17x25 anyway.

Aaron, check the Innova Warmtone Cotton Gloss.  It may be an acceptable sub.

pearlstreet

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 03:45:18 pm »

Crap. Why cancel the 17x25?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 04:27:18 pm »

Harman Gloss Baryta!  My favorite gloss paper!  That was too close for comfort.  Incredible tonal range and just plain gorgeous on my iPF8300 and 8400.  Jaw dropping, and that's the truth.  My profiles show Lab 1 to 98, with 99 strongly suspected.  Incredble sparkling highlights and gorgeous, glowing, beautifully textured darks.  Haven't seen any particular surface problems with my Print Shield coated prints.

Count me in on the "curl" complaints.  Like every other alpha cellulose paper I have used, the curl is too great to avoid head strikes.  The cure on my Canon wide format printers is to sacrifice the first 8" of paper to get past the curl created by parking in the sharp turn in the feed path of those printers.  And then to print as much of the roll as possible in a single session.

Dear Hahnemühle: as long as you are changing the surface coating, how about also changing the substrate to nice, soft, flexible cotton rag at maybe 260 gsm? At least for the rolls.  Will gladly pay a bit extra for that option.

pearlstreet

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 04:52:03 pm »

Agree 100% Bill. My favorite also.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 10:37:47 pm »

Thanks for the information Geraldo. I'm very relieved since Gloss Baryta was the only Harman paper that really mattered anyway. Their baryta matte paper from many years ago was also wonderful, too bad they discontinued that so early on. Fortunately we already have excellent alternatives in the form of Canson Rag Photographique.

alain

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 11:23:02 am »

Is the new paper already available?

If Yes, has anybody done some tests with it?

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 07:02:28 am »

Wow, glad I stumbled across this thread. I use the 17x25 all the time. Just ordered a bunch to hopefully tide me over until I can upgrade my 3880 to something with a roll feeder.

Robcat

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 10:33:55 pm »

Same here, love the paper, but the extreme curl on rolls caused head strikes on all my printers and that is dangerous.
Hey! The new Photo Gloss Baryta stuff has way less curl  ;D
Just finished running a few meters worth of prints off a 24" roll on my 8400. The first couple I did my usual cutting off the roll and applying D-roller to make a flat sheet. Then I noticed that it wasn't nearly as stiff and recalcitrant as before (or my current main paper Canson Infinity BP). Then I somehow got crud on the d-roller that boogered a couple prints, so I said screw it, I'll just load the roll---and it ran fine. The stuff is just as gorgeous as before if not better and I haven't noticed hardly any of the nasty little flakes that put me off the original a little while back. Try some!
(DW, I got your roller clean, don't worry)
Pages: [1]   Go Up