Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is up with Leica?  (Read 17824 times)

Rob C

Re: What is up with Leica?
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2017, 02:29:50 pm »

I don't follow: if WYSInotWYG, and the image you see onscreen and think you are shooting is only that of something that was real a fraction of a second earlier, then you are always going to be too late. N'est-ce pas? OVF... ;-)

Rob

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2017, 05:15:05 pm »

I don't follow: if WYSInotWYG, and the image you see onscreen and think you are shooting is only that of something that was real a fraction of a second earlier, then you are always going to be too late. N'est-ce pas? OVF... ;-)

Rob

No. Mount an optical viewfinder on the XD, or just look over the lens and you will have less shutter lag than on a dSLR that flips a mirror. The lag issues can be viewfinder lag.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2017, 12:13:23 am »

Hi,

It seems the shutter needs to close before exposure. So shutter closes, shutter opens and exposes the sensor, the shutter closes and readout is done.

Best regards
Erik

No. Mount an optical viewfinder on the XD, or just look over the lens and you will have less shutter lag than on a dSLR that flips a mirror. The lag issues can be viewfinder lag.
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2017, 09:19:47 pm »

Erik,

Yes. Only the Fuji has EFCS and even that may require a global reset of the sensor before exposure.
 But my feeling is that both the shutter close or reset would be faster than mirror up on an MF dSLR, and the latest big hassy can do 4k continuous.

Hi,

It seems the shutter needs to close before exposure. So shutter closes, shutter opens and exposes the sensor, the shutter closes and readout is done.

Best regards
Erik
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2017, 01:35:08 am »

Hi Ronald,

I think EFCS does a sweeping reset. The reset acts as first curtain.

Full ES combines sweeping reset with sweeping readot, but readout is a much slower process so ES has long sweep time.

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

Yes. Only the Fuji has EFCS and even that may require a global reset of the sensor before exposure.
 But my feeling is that both the shutter close or reset would be faster than mirror up on an MF dSLR, and the latest big hassy can do 4k continuous.
Erik Kaffehr

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2017, 07:42:00 am »

Don't worry, guys. The Leica M10 is coming out soon and all the problems in the world will go away!  ;D
Instagram (updated often)

Rob C

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2017, 08:57:12 am »

Don't worry, guys. The Leica M10 is coming out soon and all the problems in the world will go away!  ;D

They won't: I still can't afford to splash out on one. I could buy one, but it would cause me pain elsewhere. Priorities...

;-)

Rob

Chris Livsey

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2017, 11:21:13 am »

Not that they were ever competitive in price but they are now in the same ball park as the new mirrorless medium format offerings and in the Leica forums that has not gone un-noticed as has the "old" sensor (however tweaked) plus rumours of a new type of M soon with the missing video etc and hybrid viewfinder, I'm happy with my M2s  ;)

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2017, 01:51:10 pm »

I don't think Leica has much competition for the M, it seems to exist in its own niche. Even the Leica S with all it's potential issues and lackluster customer care still sells, and the reason is simple: as bcooter said, it's the look of the files and feel of the camera that is worth it all.

I agree that such long wait times for simple parts replacement are unjustified for such an expensive piece of gear, but Leica is also not the only camera company struggling in this. With the exception of a couple, the whole camera industry keeps living in the past when it comes to certain (or all) aspects of the business.

The cameras will keep selling for now, because they still have unique and appealing features that people are willing to pay and compromise for. Despite this, I do believe that things need to change sooner, because with easy access to quality sensors and so many lens makers ready to produce stellar optics for anyone willing to pay, it only takes a bold entrepreneur with enough money and a vision to kill companies like Nikon overnight.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up