Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Havana Buildings to Shoot  (Read 1590 times)

JoeKitchen

Havana Buildings to Shoot
« on: January 02, 2017, 10:49:33 am »

Hello Group,

In less then two weeks, I will be going to the long, and technically still, forbidden land (for us USA citizens) of Cuba.  I'll be spending three full days in Havana on a personal project mainly focusing on the architecture (with some handheld street photography too).  My plan is to concentrate on Old Havana and would love to know if there are any buildings or structures of significance to look out for. 

I do plan on photographing the Malecon, el Morro, and the old Partagas factory.  Anything else to look out for? 

Also, out of curiosity, do the trees have their leaves this time of year in Havana? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Havana Buildings to Shoot
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:07:41 pm »

From Malecon, you can walk down on Paseo Del Prado with many run-down and renovated buildings.

As to the trees, it is their winter time, and some trees have indeed shed their leaves, but most trees are tropical with abundant foliage at all times.
Below is a thread from my February 2015 Havan trip with some old buildings on Prado and even trees in bloom.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=100115.msg819629#msg819629

jeremyrh

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 04:47:44 pm »

Hi Joe:

Lucky you - Cuba is photography paradise! If you have three full days in Havana, you will have time to walk every inch of Habana Vieja! I would also suggest, if you want, to look further afield (slightly) to the picturesque but dilapidated area of Centro Habana, and even to the decaying mansions of Vedado. Whatever - you will have a great time! Please post a link to your photos on your return!

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:08:32 pm »

Thanks.  I will certainly need to explore the other neighborhoods, and site down for dinner somewhere too.

Any jazz clubs that would photograph well? 

jeremyrh

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 02:00:58 am »

-La Guarida (Centro Habana area)

Absolutely !! But you will have to book early!!

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 07:35:48 am »

Thanks Raul and Jeremy. 

I have read about La Guarida in a few different places and will certainly try to eat there.  I just put in a reservation for the 16th; hopefully they have something open. 

Looks like a very nice building as well with a new roof top bar.  Should make for some good photos too. 

I will look up the other locations suggested. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up