Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon PRO-100 Print Issues - User Feedback Requested  (Read 2258 times)

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
Canon PRO-100 Print Issues - User Feedback Requested
« on: January 01, 2017, 12:22:09 pm »

Some background. I've used some smaller Canon printers over the years for "utility" printing, i.e. sending proofs e.g., to clients etc. - these have included both pigment and dye models. I print using "fully calibrated/managed" workflow - using Datacolor units (screen and print) - and on the odd occasion a paper manufacturers ICC profiles are wonky - then making custom profiles. Aside from basic pre-print "brightness" adjustments either through LR - or in PS using a curve bump - I've always had very successful results with color matching  - typically on the money. I recently got a Canon PRO-100 again for utility printing  - and did some trials using some different papers (Canson, Canon, etc.) with the manufacturer supplied ICC profiles. These were done with a recently calibrated monitor and one that has been used with the other Canon printers I have. The test print colors - particularly the blues (skies) , and also in some cases the greens - were so far off from the monitor it was just really hard to believe. One way to describe it would be an image that went to 4-color offset for printing that hadn't been properly 'adjusted' for CMYK - blues shifted to magenta, greens very dull. As well, the images are printing much much darker even when using a typical "brightness boost" that had been entirely satisfactory with the other Canon pigment/dye printers I use.

If there are any current PRO-100 users that have had similar problems, or have thoughts/comments about it - please forward - all would be much appreciated. /Brandt
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

jodo

Re: Canon PRO-100 Print Issues - User Feedback Requested
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 04:04:43 pm »

I get very good results with my pro-100 so I would suggest you either have a defective situation, unlikely, or something is amiss in setup. Perhaps double profiling. I'm sure you have considered that. But I'd look for some howto tutorial/post on that dp forum and just check off your settings against their's. Are you using the canon print utility Print Studio Pro?

brandtb

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 04:16:57 pm »

I just downloaded Print Studio Pro last night and did some tests...but it was a lot of work to get the colors right....never had to do any where near that much adjustment other than basic luminance with three other Canon printers I have. Ideally I don't want to add the PSP steps in the workflow. Will do some more tests tomorrow. Thanks for feedback.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

MHMG

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 08:32:49 pm »

Are you on Mac or PC? If on Mac, you may have ended up with the Apple "Airprint" driver selected as the default printer driver for your Canon Pro-100. This would result in the kind of issues you describe. The solution is to go into the Mac OS Systems preferences "printers and scanners" menu, delete the Airprint driver assigned to your Pro-100 and add Canon's specific Pro-100 driver. I have no idea why starting up a new Canon Pro-100 printer on a Mac defaults to the Airprint driver, but it surely tripped me up, and many others, and sounds a lot like the situation you are describing in your particular circumstance. With the right driver, the Pro-100 and Canon's canned profiles for it's various papers does a pretty good job at hitting appropriate colors. The only Canon paper I thought was off in color accuracy was when using Canon's supplied generic profile for the Canon photo glossy II paper, and a custom profile I made brought that paper brought it right into line with the others.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:40:48 pm by MHMG »

brandtb

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 09:48:30 pm »

Thanks. This particular set up on Win 7/64 bit
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 10:48:00 am »

I've been using a pro-100 with W10 for over a year. I had some wonky results at the start, I re-downloaded the drivers and profiles and re-installed. That seemed to fix the problem.

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 02:38:18 pm »

Hi Brandt,

Have you confirmed that the Color/Intensity setting is set to manual, with Color Correction matching set to None?

Damon

brandtb

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 03:44:03 pm »

Yes, it was set to none. I did some more tests all a disaster...not sure if it was a one off bad printer...but ended trading up to PRO 10...and absolutely no problems. For PRO 10 did end up applying some minor tweaks in Print Studio Pro prior to printing...screen/print match excellent...and previous blues and greens issues gone. Go figure. Hope all well with you Damon...Happy New Year. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up