Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf Aptus 22 and LF lenses  (Read 1976 times)

adam tracksler

Leaf Aptus 22 and LF lenses
« on: January 01, 2017, 11:14:43 am »

I got the leaf Aptus 22, and an adapter for my Toyo 45A.

I have a few Fujinon lenses with the regular flash socket on them, the back performs well with these lenses, I also have two older lenses (Graflex Optar 135 4.7 and Kodak Commercial Ektar 215 6.3)

I think I finally figured out the Kodak last night, there is a tiny switch next to the bipost sync selector switch that I have to cock manually before it will sync. The Graflex, I'm having a harder time with.

I have a bipost to female sync adapter that I'm plugging into the camera, I checked it with pocket wizards, and it is tripping them....

When I plug the camera cord into the flash cord, It doesn't appear to be tripping the camera.... any ideas? It is working the same way with the Kodak, so I know that the cords work and that they are doing what they should be doing. The graflex is on the X setting...

Thanks in advance, ad

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Leaf Aptus 22 and LF lenses
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 11:55:27 am »

It has been many years since I shot on the Valeo 22 and in the interim I have used other Leaf backs so I might not have this right.

I think you need to set the camera to shoot with Large Format cameras. I think this is done via the Leaf Capture software with the camera tethered using FireWire. If I remember correctly the Valeo does not have an LCD? Anyway hope that helps
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 04:54:24 pm »

Adam I'm assuming that the adapter you mention is one of these?

And that you have connected the female PC plug on the left to your Leaf lens-to-back sync cable. I'm also assuming that the bi-post plug on the right connects to the Graflex lens?

If that's the case then it could be that the "signal" coming from the lens is not strong enough to trip the back or that the male-femal connection it not solid enough...
As Martin suggested, the back needs to be set to Large Format (If you shoot tethered to Capture One Pro you do it in the preference, if you shoot to CF card you do it in the Setup>Camera on the back)

If there's a dealer in your area that you can take the camera into they might have some bits and pieces they can let you test, or you could contact our support team and they'll try to help.
BR
Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

adam tracksler

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:57:50 pm »

Not sure what the problem was, I think the shutter is a little wanky on long exposures, but I got it working this morning:

Winter Branch by Adam Tracksler, on Flickr

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 09:25:22 pm »

I had the same issue on older Hasselblad lenses with a P45+.  The sync connection was just not strong enough.  Whaddayagonnado?

Graham Welland

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 02:05:55 pm »

With respect to 'weak' flash sync on older lenses, wouldn't this just be something fixable with a service of the lens and cleaning of the sync contacts? It's just a make/break mechanical circuit connection - essentially just a mechanical switch. Any power is coming from the back.
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up