Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma SD H  (Read 8648 times)

Rado

Re: Sigma SD H
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 07:54:48 am »

Do the crop ART zooms (18-35 and 50-100) work on the SDH? Is the image circle large enough?

SZRitter

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 10:13:27 am »

What about using the DNG option to process the files in Lr? I'm assuming that this DNG is not a "true" RAW but since Sigma software is so crappy it might be worth the trade off.

This camera looks like it's built like a tank. AF is probably on the slowish side right? Sigma being Sigma and all.

BTW I've already seen very nice images done with these cameras on Flickr galleries, color rendering seems particularly nice and I'm sure the detail is fantastic. Here's the pool:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2961299@N23/pool/

I pulled the samples into ACR (same engine, I just didn't want to add them to my LR library), and it wasn't much help. That's why I wanted side-by-side with another camera, to see how much difference in DR there is to other cameras. I couldn't really recover anything on the cat photo, and given I often take advantage of the full DR range of my cameras, not being able to recover anything was kind of a turn off. But I wanted to see if I couldn't recover anything on a different camera, say a Sony A7, and it was just a scene choice issue.

That said, everything that fell into the DR of the camera looked pretty good.

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 04:19:18 pm »

I'm assuming that this DNG is not a "true" RAW

Seems reasonable.  Nobody would know how to get standard RGB out of 'true' RAW without Sigma telling them, and Sigma does not look ready to tell.  So I am going to guess that they do all the 'real' raw conversion first and save the result to the equivalent of a linear TIFF in a convenient intermediate RGB color space.  And that's your 12-bit DNG.  Always guessing, it's most likely saved at 12 bits because 14 bits would be wasted space given the noise.  We'll have to wait and see the details as they come out.

capital

• Website
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2017, 05:48:09 pm »

Hi Bernard, would be curious to know why you decided to go with SD Quattro H, what use case does this camera fulfill for you? I know in the past you have accomplished high resolution through stitching without the need to wrangle a quirky camera. One other thing, have you noticed any issues with shutter shock?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 05:53:37 pm »

Hi Bernard, would be curious to know why you decided to go with SD Quattro H, what use case does this camera fulfill for you? I know in the past you have accomplished high resolution through stitching without the need to wrangle a quirky camera.

Just for fun. I love the rendering of Foveon sensors (this is my 3 rd one) and also feel that Sigma is an innovative company that deserves to continue their efforts.

Stitching with the SD H is definitely also possible altough I didn't do it during this family outing.

Cheers,
Bernard

capital

• Website
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 05:59:49 pm »

Thanks Bernard, I know the fun part is also an important point to photography. Since I edited the post while you were responding, have you observed any issues with shutter shock?

idillic

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 08:37:01 am »

I have been wondering about the SD H, (I have an SD1).  I had almost decided not to get one when they come out suspecting not all my lenses I have may not cover the slightly larger sensor - namely the 18-35 & the 8-16.

The link below (to someone else's Flickr page) has some un-cropped photos with the SD H with a few sigma lenses including the 8-16.  The SDQH photos are mostly test photos, and looking at them, it seems as though all of my lenses may be ok should I choose to buy it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90563381@N05/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:21:24 pm by idillic »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up