Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma SD H  (Read 8651 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Sigma SD H
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:35:34 am »

This camera is pretty impressive!

More news in a few days.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rado

Re: Sigma SD H
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 12:21:59 pm »

What raw processing options are available for these cameras/sensors?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 05:58:38 pm »

What raw processing options are available for these cameras/sensors?

As far as I know only the Sigma converter for now.

Yes, it is a pain to use, but the level of image quality within the narrow targeted usage enveloppe is hard to beat in anything short of modern high end backs costing 30 times more.

The 20mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4 lenses I have been using the SD H with are a match made in heaven.

Not sure why anyone would want to spend a penny on second hand MFDB with the SD H around.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:13:03 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Rado

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 09:05:42 am »

What is the target usage for these cameras? Have you tried it for portraits? Getting focus nailed at f1.4 with my Canon dslr is so difficult that I'm willing to look at mirrorless options.

andyptak

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 06:22:33 pm »

As the owner of two Merrills I forgive Sigma for their garbage software every time I see a processed frame.

The nail in the coffin for me on the H is their decision to make sure that other lenses will not be compatible. I own enough lenses already and won't be buying Sigma mount lenses in sizes I already own, some of them Sigma Art.

Shame. I really thought that I was going for this one.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 06:44:21 pm »

In the grand scheme of things buying 2 Sigma Art lenses isn't a major investment considering the image quality of the H.

These 2 lenses and the camera will cost less than one of the lenses you would fit on a second hand digital back offering IMHO less of everything.

I don't see the H as competing with DSLRs overall.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:56:08 pm by BernardLanguillier »

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 10:02:02 pm »

... Or Sigma will convert the mount if you can live without them on your other system.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 01:14:03 am »

The biggest problem for me with the Sigma, and I do love the hi res output is the highlight recovery is horrible with Sigma software. That was a major reason for me to stop getting the new cameras. I have a Quattro and a Merrill but the dslr looked interesting but I could not justify it. If their support for other software was there I would be in.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 02:31:41 am »

Will be interested what you have to say.   I'm pretty happy with my Sony A7RII but this new H model looks interesting.  I almost did a preorder the other day on it and the 24mm lens. 
Jay 

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 03:04:08 am »

The biggest problem for me with the Sigma, and I do love the hi res output is the highlight recovery is horrible with Sigma software. That was a major reason for me to stop getting the new cameras. I have a Quattro and a Merrill but the dslr looked interesting but I could not justify it. If their support for other software was there I would be in.

Alan,

Yes, indeed. I tend to err on the side of under-exposure when I can, but the live view histograme differs quite a but from the review one and I am sure the real raw one is yet again different.

I'll be back from Taiwan tomorrow and will start the painful task if converting the raw files. There are a few images for which I have high hopes photographically, let's hope that I have not messed up anything and the SD H will deliver its impressive potential.

It was a bit of a bet to do this trip witout my trusted D810, but it was a fun experience.

Cheers,
Bernard

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 12:14:46 am »

Bernard looking forward to see how do with the files, and here more about your observations.

Have a safe trip back.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

adri

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 10:32:35 am »

For those who don't know yet, the H will have the ability to record in DNG format, and Sigma's own software has been improved to use more processing power of your computer for faster operation.

DNG will also be made available on the regular SD Q.

see this blog

adri

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 10:34:14 am »

Also: Sigma has now its own iumae gallry of the H:

SDQ H image gallery by Sigma

SZRitter

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 11:00:25 am »

For those who don't know yet, the H will have the ability to record in DNG format, and Sigma's own software has been improved to use more processing power of your computer for faster operation.

DNG will also be made available on the regular SD Q.

see this blog

These are pretty cool, just wish they had shot it side by side with another camera so I could see how well the files handle in comparison.

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 03:26:35 pm »

I'm sorry to be the troll here but all the samples I have seen of the Sigma H have been complete CRAP!  I can't tell anything from these samples?  It seems like such marketing failures are so common amongst all camera companies when it comes to providing good downloadable images for potential consumers to review!  It's like they gave the camera to a errand boy and said you have 5 minutes to run outside of the office and grab a few shots of whatever crap you want.  Ridiculous!  You wanna get and idea of the bokeh a system can produce then use the fastest prime available for the given system and provide a few accurately focused portrait shots from a few different distances in natural light.  Then provide some cityscape/landscape images with some wide angle glass shot on a tripod with apertures in the F5.6-F11 range.  DONE!  But for now we have to wait until good reviewers(Only a few of those around) get the systems in hand and begin testing.

Telecaster

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 04:01:16 pm »

Personally I assume by default that all marketing is crap, even if it looks good. Maybe especially if it looks good.  ;)

-Dave-

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 08:01:50 pm »

I'm sorry to be the troll here but all the samples I have seen of the Sigma H have been complete CRAP! ...
From what i have seen i suspect a dynamic range that is not impressive.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 12:48:42 am »

A few first samples shot casually and processed to taste with the Sigma wonder software:

I would agree that DR isn't as good as the best DSLR such as the D810. This isn't helped by the Sigma sofware that doesn't offer the possibility to control extreme highlight and shadow recovery independantly. The Fill light function affects both ends.

This is also definitely a base ISO camera. I am not comfortable using it above ISO400, and even that is a bit of a stretch. Staying at ISO200 and below is best.

The sharpness, micro detail and colors are great though.

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 06:27:04 am »

The sharpness, micro detail and colors are great though.

Cheers,
Bernard

maybe you could post some 100% crops of these images, since that shows the essence of the sensor...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 07:40:46 am »

There you go. This was shot handheld, but still pretty sharp.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up