Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1profiler and Macbook pro retina question  (Read 2504 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
i1profiler and Macbook pro retina question
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:16:57 am »

Hello,

I own a Macbook pro retina late 2013 ( 10.12 ) and a Xrite display pro device for calibration the screen of the Macbook. When going through the settings of i1profiler ( 1.67), I wonder what is the right setting for the kind of background illumination of the screen. What I found at Apple is that it uses LEDs, but no information if whether these are white LEDs or RGB LEDs.

Furthermore, I wonder if I should choose a version 2 or version 4 profile. I remember that Jeff Schewe said in one video that choosing version 4 profiles can cause problems, but I do not know if this statement is still valid as version 4 profiles is the default setting for i1profiler.

Many thanks for further answers and help !

BR Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

rdonson

Re: i1profiler and Macbook pro retina question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 11:35:53 am »

I'm using 1.67 for my mid 2012 Retina MBP and I've always chosen White LEDs. 

It's been a couple of years since the debate on V2 vs V4 but I think for most of us V2 works just fine.

Someone with more knowledge could dispute both of these practices.

Regards,
Ron

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
Re: i1profiler and Macbook pro retina question
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 09:21:16 pm »

I own a Macbook pro retina late 2013 ( 10.12 ) and a Xrite display pro device for calibration the screen of the Macbook. When going through the settings of i1profiler ( 1.67), I wonder what is the right setting for the kind of background illumination of the screen. What I found at Apple is that it uses LEDs, but no information if whether these are white LEDs or RGB LEDs.
I'm not sure if it's changed with the latest models (possibly, if they have moved to a P3 gamut), but the 2016 Retina displays appear to be BG LEDs + Red phosphor backlight, or possibly B LED + Green & Red phosphor, so eyeballing the spectra, RGB LEDs may be the closest choice.

[ Anybody using ArgyllCMS with an i1d3 or Spyder 4 & 5 Colorimeter with a MacBook Pro Retina 2016 display can get a ccss file from here. ]
Pages: [1]   Go Up