Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your #1 request for manufacturers in 2017?  (Read 96386 times)

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
What is your #1 request for manufacturers in 2017?
« on: December 30, 2016, 04:05:07 pm »

Hi All,

If you could ask one thing of camera and gear manufacturers in 2017, what would it be?

Mine would be for proper RAW histograms. Standard on every new camera, added to firmware on every existing camera as an option where feasible. Show the actual unrescaled-for-white-balance channel-by-channel values, and indicate if any channel is clipping (for more than some small fraction of sensels, say 0.1%).

Really, it is nearly 2017. I've been shooting digital for over 15 years. How come this is not absolutely standard across all cameras and all manufacturers by now???

If you want to know how to do it, play with a RED for a while. Goalpost indicators for under and over exposure, clipping traffic lights and either a rescaled for white balance histogram or a pure RAW histogram as you prefer. This should be on every digital camera that shoots RAW.

Cheers, Hywel

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Re: What is your #1 request for manufacturers in 2017?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 04:14:12 am »

My only regret from moving to my actual Sony A7 II from a Canon 5d II is that now I can't use magic lantern with their RAW histograms... If a bunch of hackers can offer it... Manufacturers are just lazy for not offering it... That will be also my number one request

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 04:17:44 am »

135 f2.8 lens from Sony or Zeiss, to use on my A7II. With minimum focusing distance of around 90 cm.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 05:02:40 am »

To stop releasing products I feel attracted in buying? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 05:11:37 am »

Hi,

I would agree on raw histograms.

Other than that I would like to have more presets, compact lenses of high quality, like 24-70/4 zooms without compromise. I don't like the trend good stuff equals large aperture stuff.

I would also like to have a lightweight geared head, with gears on three axes.

Best regards
Erik

Hi All,

If you could ask one thing of camera and gear manufacturers in 2017, what would it be?

Mine would be for proper RAW histograms. Standard on every new camera, added to firmware on every existing camera as an option where feasible. Show the actual unrescaled-for-white-balance channel-by-channel values, and indicate if any channel is clipping (for more than some small fraction of sensels, say 0.1%).

Really, it is nearly 2017. I've been shooting digital for over 15 years. How come this is not absolutely standard across all cameras and all manufacturers by now???

If you want to know how to do it, play with a RED for a while. Goalpost indicators for under and over exposure, clipping traffic lights and either a rescaled for white balance histogram or a pure RAW histogram as you prefer. This should be on every digital camera that shoots RAW.

Cheers, Hywel

Erik Kaffehr

Bo_Dez

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 05:40:21 am »

a new, modern design, medium format 80mm 1.8 or f2.

Zeiss to re-enter the Medium Format business.

hogloff

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 09:52:14 am »

Move towards an "apps" model like the phones to allow customization of applications on the camera. Sony has a few apps that can be loaded which provide some interesting features. Open this up so anyone can develop these applications.

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 10:05:45 am »

Really devote resources to usability of cameras. 

Not just dials and buttons but also special attention to menus and quick menus.  Customization of menus is great but not a substitute for getting it right for 90+% of photogs right out of the box. 

Having to go through 2-4 menus to format an SD or CF card gets annoying quickly.  Not allowing that to be streamlined in a quick menu is puzzling. 
Regards,
Ron

Rado

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 02:05:08 pm »

Autofocus patent/know-how sharing with 3rd party lens manufacturers so that they don't have to reverse engineer it. This especially goes for Canikon since other companies seem to be less stupid about it (stupid from my point of view, I know that corporations love customer lock in).

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 02:16:58 pm »

Interchangeable and manual-focus-friendly focusing screens, please.

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 03:11:49 pm »

Proper WiFi capability. Why can't any of my cameras auto-login to my home WiFi network and auto-upload new pics to my storage devices? Or directly download firmware updates?

-Dave-

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 04:04:22 pm »

Proper WiFi capability. Why can't any of my cameras auto-login to my home WiFi network and auto-upload new pics to my storage devices? Or directly download firmware updates?

-Dave-

This. Alternatively I would be happy if they actually managed to get the cameras working with smartphones. Making apps is not that hard, you can find plenty of talented programmers out there, so there is really no excuse when such huge companies release camera apps that are a pain to setup, provide very limited remote controls, cannot transfer RAW files to the phone and most of the time just crash for no real reason.

So, yeah, I wouldn't really like new things. I'd like for what is already there to actually work.
Instagram (updated often)

DanielStone

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 05:45:49 pm »

A TRUE mirror up solution, like on the older Nikon F3/F4 bodies.

Also, a clip-on 24mp full-frame "digital back" for those Nikon F3 or F4 bodies, please :)

I know of the Leica DMR, I simply have some Nikon AIS/E-series lenses that I'd love to put to use in a "restricted capabilities" type of camera system. Just ISO, WB and basic menu capabilities. No fancypants stuff.

roscoetuff

• Skip Mersereau
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 11:41:43 am »

In echo with a twist to earlier comments, I'd like to see less pure or raw technology per se and more ergonomics or emphasis on making the technology available as simply as we used to change the film in the camera. Think of how to make the ergonomics work together for the photographer within their chosen echo system and really open the box to allow customization. Think of something similar to the once-novel interchangeable lens... and consider interchangeable sensors. It's a computer after all... and the factory does this now, but why not allow the user? Could be a smaller step than it sounds. Give me a drop-in sensor chip - that akin to loading film, would allow me to use my hardware for decades. I could plop in a monochrome sensor, color, raw or jpeg... or some mix. I could pull out the 24MP and replace it with a 42MP, and I could have one of those tiny on-board memory cards (much smaller than SD size) for the operating system so you could upgrade or do whatever you need to swing with the hardware. I'd then be able to use the same camera body and lenses forever. Same body generally, too. No sense in all this throw-a-way stuff that in truth is hardly throw-a-way.

That'll never happen. Like the idea of having white balance and the histogram based on the RAW file rather than the jpeg. No meaningful market pressure there though either.

What I'd settle for would be for Zeiss to think about the 135mm lens range and up. Might even be a reasonable chance they'd put out a Loxia 135mm in a year or so. And... Sony could improve their menu system and establish it's own US-based service organization.
"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer

marc aurel

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 11:47:16 am »

I want more high quality shift lenses. Something in the 30 to 35mm range. And updates for the Canon and Nikon 45mm-shift lenses. Maybe Zeiss could enter that market? Imagine a shift lens with the quality of the Otus lenses. Sharp even in the extreme corners when shifted?

We have seen so many really good f 1.4-lenses. And zooms. But except of the PC-E 19mm - no groundbreaking shift lens came in the last years.

Marc
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:50:38 am by marc aurel »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 12:43:32 pm »

More printers with "ink tanks".  Epson and Canon have recently released printers with built-in CIS systems, but most of them are 4 inks only and they're dye inks, not pigments.  Integrated CIS systems, unlike overpriced tiny carts, actually encourage printing. What a concept.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 04:33:41 pm »

Hi,

Putting a shutter dial and an aperture dial on the camera may be a smart thing.

I would also like to see high quality, medium aperture lenses.

Large apertures may be sexy and I willingly admit I love optical glass, but a lot of landscape shooters like me use medium apertures. I would suggest that f/2.8 or f/4 lenses would serve us perfectly well if performance was good.

I would also like to see more presets.

Last, but not least, I would to have an option to set up the camera from the computer using a decent setup program.

Best regards
Erik Kaffehr
Erik Kaffehr

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 06:40:07 pm »

Raw, accurate  histograms in camera.

As I get older, I want to carry around less weight.  How about focusing on better image quality--put the same quality I get from my SOny A7 into a A6000 body.  How about better quality f4 lenses that still remain small.

How about a camera that focuses on much improved image quality instead of aiming at the sports shooter with rapid capture capability--slower capture rates but better quality in a small package.

For those of us NOT interested in Video, how about a camera without this feature but focused on superb still imagery.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

scooby70

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 07:11:25 pm »

I must admit that I'm pretty happy with my best camera, a Sony A7, but I would like a compact 35mm f1.8 even if it sacrificed some image quality over the excellent 35mm f2.8.

And that brings me onto something I wont get... I'd like to see lenses which are compact and good enough. I often use old film era manual focus lenses on my A7 and I'm happy enough with the image quality and it'd be nice to see modern compact, cheap and good enough equivalents rather than the bigger, aiming to be the worlds best with a price to match lenses we're seeing more of lately.

Other than those things I also have Panasonic MFT cameras and I'd like to see auto ISO with exposure compensation in all modes and full time DoF preview. Put these things into a GX7 style body with the tilting EVF (but better than the current one) and without the shutter shock and I'd buy it.

shadowblade

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 11:54:13 pm »

As I get older, I want to carry around less weight.  How about focusing on better image quality--put the same quality I get from my SOny A7 into a A6000 body.  How about better quality f4 lenses that still remain small.

Bigger sensor = bigger body. You can't jam a larger object into the same space.

How about a camera that focuses on much improved image quality instead of aiming at the sports shooter with rapid capture capability--slower capture rates but better quality in a small package.

That's pretty much the A7r/A7r2.

For those of us NOT interested in Video, how about a camera without this feature but focused on superb still imagery.

Because video costs absolutely nothing to add if you already have live view, and adds value.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up