Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creation of an ice hole  (Read 14092 times)

pearlstreet

Re: Creation of an ice hole
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 09:12:24 pm »

Lol

BradSmith

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 03:48:13 pm »

Children,
Turn out the lights and go to sleep!

pearlstreet

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 04:21:22 pm »

:P ;D

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2017, 04:49:39 pm »

Lol

You see? Often, there's just no point in 'debate'. And clearly, as words cause enough confusion (and they can be used very, very accurately), how in the name of anything holy can images be discussed and/or evaluated in a forum? Of course they can't! The only real evaluation possible comes via commerce. And that one pulls no punches.

I think that life in the pro lane alters one for ever. Had I listened to anyone, including the guys with whom I spent about six years living with photographs of jet engine parts, I would have spent the rest of my life doing something similar until I was put out to pasture. Instead, I turned deaf, held my peace and threw myself into what was, for me, still the alien world of fashion and advertising pictures. It wasn't easy, and it never did become easy. But, I never had the slightest doubt that I could photograph women, ages before I ever did so. Nobody gave me critique, nor did I seek any. Truth to tell, I'd have been rather annoyed if anyone had presumed so to do. Ego? Of course! Without it, and the confidence that it can bring, this is no business for one. Shrinking violets just shrink.

;-)

Happy 2017, Sharon.

Rob C

pearlstreet

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2017, 06:35:29 pm »

I would say I agree, Rob, but I've learned my lesson.  ;D Happy 2017 to you also!

Sharon

MirrorlessFool

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2017, 12:10:35 am »

This image is completely overwrought. I'm not about to appoint myself the Photography Police - I'm not qualified. I just hope that in competitions this sort of engineered mess is relegated to its own category, while non-composited images have are left unmolested in their own class.

speedyk

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »

Interesting technical exercise, much better that way that anything I could ever do. Shooting through the ice hole is also interesting, I have done some work like that, but not in a composite.

However, the line about not wanting things to look photoshopped was hilarious. I can't get the quote right now because of the way LuLa blocks chunks of content now if I load more than one article at a time in tabs, so I may have the context wrong. That's what I remembered making me laugh, not in a mean way, but in a way that I could recognise myself saying/doing that and not getting that I was disconnected because I was so wrapped up in pursuit.

I have not seen an iceberg look like that. It was turned into something more suitable for the cover of a fantasy novel, more like a jewel that people fight over. Very beautiful but not an iceberg to me. Real ones are somewhat harmless seeming, like clouds. They aren't always really so (just ask the Titanic), but there's a certain jocundity about their bobbing out in the water. I have film photos of one that looked like an overstuffed chair out in a bay off the Newfoundland coast, they invite the viewer to anthropomorphise a bit.

The technical manipulation, into something else, removes a sort of truth about it. I see that temptation in my own work to go with what looks "zowie", and sometimes have to sit back and consider whether that impression is shallow and short-lived. A lot of perfect photos I've seen look at first like they need adjustment or look dull. The reticence to impose anything on a photo makes for a better long-term relationship, IMO.

I'm still working with that balance on my own shots, coming back to them after they've been out of sight for a while to gauge my own response more cleanly.

But I don't sell or compete, so it's mostly to please myself.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2017, 12:05:03 pm »

This image is completely overwrought. I'm not about to appoint myself the Photography Police - I'm not qualified. I just hope that in competitions this sort of engineered mess is relegated to its own category, while non-composited images have are left unmolested in their own class.

So... where does one draw the line? When does post-processing become an "engineered mess"?
Where do panoramic image blends stand?
How about HDR blends - even those not recognizable as HDRs?
What about focus-stacking?

All of these can be rendered very "natural-looking" but are composites.

Then there are those photographs that are not blends or composites but so change, even "warp" the original  image/colours/textures that they are a far cry from the "natural-looking" original. Where do these stand?

The problem is not as much the style (which is up to personal preference), but it's the drawing of lines to indicate when one thing becomes another. They are not discreet. There is too much overlap. Can you imagine the "rule book" for photo competitions needed to delineate what is a "natural" rendering from a "manipulated" one - especially because, for e.g., raw files were never meant to be used without post-processing.

Big can of worms here!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

damntall

• Crash Course Camera
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2017, 01:28:58 pm »

Rob C, I love this:

"Photography, amateur, is about self. What you photograph is what you are. Nobody else can be you on your behalf; you have to do it for yourself."

SO GREAT!
Cheers!

Bryan Wright
Founder, Crash Course Camera

"Whether you think you can or can't... either way, you're right." - Henry Ford
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up