Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hp Z3100 on Windows 10 - spectro replacement  (Read 781 times)

deanwork

Hp Z3100 on Windows 10 - spectro replacement
« on: December 30, 2016, 09:21:34 am »

Will I just had my spectro replaced after 9 years on my Z3100. Mark Lindquist was kind enough to share a lot of info with me about  where to find parts and the process of working on these machines. As far as I can see he is the most knowledgable and helpful guy Hp ever had on their side. Us Z users seem to be almost a cult following at this point in history.

My spectro went bad because somehow over the years black ink from jammed prints or whatever blocked the mirror on the outside of it so it couldn't do accurate scanning of the target. I didn't know that until it was taken apart. Mark sent me a list of several possibilities for buying replacement spectro units online. I bought the midde priced one which turned out to be a new unopened unit that was sold by Alibaba. I believe it was about $280.00 or something like that. It looked a little different than the original design in that it had the mirror on the inside of the unit, so ink accumulation was not an issue. It works perfectly. While we were in there we replaced the big waste tank cap station unit. Now there is the difference between Epson and Canon and HP. My waste tank lasted 9 years and still wasn't completely full ! Now THAT is ink frugality! Only printer I've ever had like that was the original Epson 10K.

Unfortunately my PC decided to update itself to Windows 10 without my permission. I should have kept the damn thing offline completely. HP has a Windows 10 driver for this machine but it has problems, and would only work with usb and not all of the functions were available.

I ended up removing all the HP software and reloading the Windows 8 driver and Utility. It prints and calibrates perfectly. The one thing it won't do is allow you to create custom media settings. I'm working that now. I  may just have to calibrate the existing media settings, like > 250 gsm for Canson matte rag and use that and another one for the Platine. That is what I have done successfully so far.  I have the firmware version TR12 MLV-V-7.0.0.3 loaded which is the last one created for my printer. The 3100 is no longer formally supported and this firmware is certainly not designed for Windows 10. That is probably the custom media settings issue.

So, all you guys with Z3100s wanting to use Windows 10 be aware of the issue of not having custom media settings. If I find out there is a work around I'll post it. I have no idea how Windows 10 is working with the Z3200s, they are probably still supporting it fully, or they certainly should be. But find out before you do it.

John
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:31:54 pm by deanwork »

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: Hp Z3100 on Windows 10 - spectro replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 10:45:37 am »

Well I just had my spectro replaced after 9 years on my Z3100. Mark Lindquist was kind enough to share a lot of info with me about  where to find parts and the process of working on these machines. As far as I can see he is the most knowledgable and helpful guy Hp ever had on their side. Us Z users seem to be almost a cult following at this point in history.

John

Very high praise coming from you John. Thank you for your very kind words, I appreciate it.

I know you have worked really hard on your printer and didn't quit.  A lot of people would have quit but you kept at it and didn't even complain (about the printer) too much, LOL.

I wonder if there is a way to dial back your Windows 10 to your previous OS - Windows 8.  I think if you could do that you'd be able to have complete functionality with the color center.  The fact that windows just installed the OS automagically is troublesome.

I urge you to give some thought to this John.  Even if it means buying a used windows machine that could be put in service as a dedicated print server.

Having the complete functionality of the color center is important.  But if you don't want to be bothered, I guess it can limp along as is.

Just saying, you've come so far with replacing components in your printer - it must feel practically new by now.
Taking the extra step to get the computer and software in line wouldn't be inappropriate, I'd think.

Anyway, great job getting it back running and refurbished - what you guys do is inspirational.

Best -

Mark

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

deanwork

Re: Hp Z3100 on Windows 10 - spectro replacement
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 11:04:51 am »

Thanks Mark,

Compared to what I used to have to do with trying to replace heads and dampers on my old Epson's this was a piece of cake.

I am going to try to see if the usb driver will work with W 10. If not I'm going to call Microsoft and demand they walk me through reinstalling OS 8. They are going to say they can't protect it against virus and they may be right. I'll find out.

I'm not the only one complaining about Windows 10 installing itself when the machine is turned on. Lots of people are furious. I've never heard of such a thing.

john
Pages: [1]   Go Up