Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro Payment and Site Design, ironic, isn't it?  (Read 3830 times)

karelg

Micro Payment and Site Design, ironic, isn't it?
« on: July 16, 2006, 03:20:26 pm »

One could spend thousands of dollars on a pro photographer.....
And one could spend thousands of dollars on a pro graphical artist/web site designer/user interface designer....

But one could also spend a few dollars over at iStockphoto....
And one could also spend a few dollars (25? 50?) to have a couple of extra DVD's burnt and mailed to someone who just might do quite a nice job with CSS, just so, on the side of a regular job or as a hobby...

One could complain (or publish an article) about how micro payment destroys photography and one could at the same time just happily use the cheap services of a "micro payment css designer" and not complain on how this destroys the business of Web Site Desing professionals.

In the previous issue of Wired magazine this was dubbed "Crowd-sourcing" (versus outsourcing)... interesting read.... and of course with the example of millions of (amateur and pro) photographers willing to do something for just a few bucks, just for the fun of it.

(should anyone care, I'm not a web designer nor do I make a living as a photographer)

michael

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 05:14:10 pm »

Humm. Wonder who he's talking about?

But just to address this boor's point, after a very nice young gentleman came up with a proposed design and won the contest, he was asked if he would like to do the site's face lift on a commercial basis. Since he is a busy computer science student he declined, and so I am in fact paying "thousands of dollars on a pro graphical artist/web site designer/user interface designer", money which would have gone to the student if he'd been able to accept the assignment.

Now if karieg had simply asked about the situation, rather than being presumptious and making a snide and inaccurate assertion, the facts of the matter would have been known. But, I guess it was just more fun to take a cheap shot.

Jerk!

Michael
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 05:15:25 pm by michael »

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 07:10:53 pm »

Humm. Wonder who he's talking about?

"But just to address this boor's point, "

"Jerk! "

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70889\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought we were supposed to be keeping things civilised on the boards without resorting to personal insults?

Which would have been better - delete the original post or result to defamtory comments?
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 01:42:18 am »

The analogy between stock and webdev is actually right on. When every student and frontpage webdev wannabe offers their services for virtually nothing, this makes it hard on the professional who has to recoup costs for professional tools and experience let alone make a livable wage as opposed to just extra pocket money. Fortunately, as with photography, the smarter clients recognize the difference in results and are willing to pay a fair price for professional work from someone who will still be around a year later. The choice is even more critical than with photography because with webwork you are affected by repercussions for years down the road.

- DL
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 01:44:51 am by dlashier »

michael

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 09:00:29 am »

I thought long and hard about simply deleting the post, but since I am opposed to censorship decided to leave it.

Then I was simply going to ignore it. But, in the end it was too much of a gratuitous insult to leave unanswered.

In the end I thought that I was fairly tame in my response, given how stupidly rude the author was. My worst epithet was "jerk", fairly prissy by most standards.

In any event, do as I say, not as I do.  

Michael

karelg

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 01:30:52 pm »

Oh come on Michael, lighten up!

Just the fact that I caught you on some inconsistency isn't the end of the world, is it?

Let's have a beer at Photokina, and we will call your verbal abuse and the fact that both the topic and my account still exists even. Deal?

michael

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 04:10:48 pm »

Fine, let's just let it pass.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up