Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The River at Evening  (Read 998 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
The River at Evening
« on: December 28, 2016, 05:09:53 pm »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: The River at Evening
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:32:43 pm »

There are some really nice vibrant colours going on here Russ, in a scene that is a bit Monet-esque in more ways than one, which I really like.

But if I was to nitpick (which I know you so enjoy me doing about your images :D), then I think the shot would really sing if you had something for the eye to rest on as a focal point within the water in the bottom right third, such as a duck or a gnarly log or a flower or something.

Dave

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 07:54:47 pm »

Or a hungry crocodile?

I find the peace and quiet quite restful, in a nice way.

Of course to be a good Street photo it would need a bit more ambiguity.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 01:06:22 am »

+1  What river is it?

stamper

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 04:14:24 am »

Magnificent was my first reaction and it was the same the second time I looked. No nit picks from me.

francois

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 04:48:47 am »

Not much to add… this is a beautiful image.
Bravo!
Francois

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 02:32:14 pm »

Thanks all. At this time of year a lot of the trees change color in Florida, though a lot of them retain their green leaves that seem to turn a darker green. If you can get backlight and a river mixed in with the vegetation you have something worth lifting the camera for. In about another two weeks that cypress on the left will lose its leaves. Then the river will be completely different. Actually, I've never gone out and found it exactly the same as any time before.

And Bob, it's the Palatlakaha. It's a quite small river. For political purposes it's been designated a "creek." The designation has to do with the state's responsibilities toward it. I live right on it, and it dumps into Lake Harris not far north of where I live. This shot is from a spot probably 200 yards north of my house.

Dave, I probably could Photoshop one of my swimming gator shots into the center of the river so you'd have a point to which your eye would jump, but I'd hate to destroy the reflectivity of that wonderful still surface.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 03:19:25 pm »

Dave, I probably could Photoshop one of my swimming gator shots into the center of the river so you'd have a point to which your eye would jump, but I'd hate to destroy the reflectivity of that wonderful still surface.

I agree Russ, if it isn't in the shot at the time of taking, then it should never be added later in post, or moved etc.

I really do like the shot btw  :)

Dave

Tony Jay

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 06:20:28 pm »

When I first viewed this image Russ I felt that the expanse of black water in lower right formed a kind of negative space that detracted from the beautifully backlit tree on the left and the sidelit trees across on the far bank.

However, I came back to this images on several occasions because it intrigued me so much.
I still feel that that expanse of black water does represent a kind of negative space as a whole however I no longer feel that this detracts from the image.
In fact, that mass of black water introduces a dynamic tension into the image in a way that little else could since it is obviously competing with that gorgeous late afternoon light and the symphony of colour from the foliage.
Moreover, although that black water does draw the eye, once there, one realises the wealth of detail that is actually there in the form of reflections and floating matter.
So, in reality that expanse of black water actually drew me into the image and allowed me to savour the wealth of beautiful detail throughout.

Finally, as an aside, I feel that this image would definitely benefit from being printed large - it would make it even easier to discover and savour the detail to be found in this gorgeous composition.

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up