Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shutter shock  (Read 1922 times)

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
Shutter shock
« on: December 28, 2016, 04:16:35 pm »

With the Olympus E-M1 mark II, as with the previous mark I and PenF, the setting for shutter shock reduction is disabled with the HDR series of bracketing options. One can not set say 3 exposures two stops apart without the camera defaulting to high speed shutter only, with resulting shutter shock on longer tripod mounted lenses. Using IS does not seem to be the magic bullet fix.

In the deeper menu the exposure bracket will allow the shutter shock reduction, but with a restricted one stop max backet.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:20:34 pm by D White »
Dr D White DDS BSc

degrub

Re: Shutter shock
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 06:36:12 pm »

i thought this model had both and electronic and a mechanical shutter. Are you able to use the electronic shutter instead ?

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 11:11:59 pm »

As I indicated, selecting a bracket series from the HDR menu blocks out all other choices for release and defaults to mechanical shutter at highest frame rate. All other choices are greyed out. If anyone knows of an effective work around to prevent shutter shock with tripod mounted optics? Does not seem to be any problem with shorter lenses but the 40-150 and 300 suffer.
Dr D White DDS BSc

capital

• Website
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 12:06:51 am »

From my last time I used the camera, I recall I set up a custom continuous <> anti-shock mode shooting sequence* with AEB set in the menu. In my case I did 5 exposures 1 EV apart with a one second delay between the shoots. It is really dumb for a camera this sophisticated to lack a more straight forward way of shooting brackets.

*via Custom Self-Timer mode
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:26:15 am by capital »

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 08:50:34 am »

I'm still baffled why hdr is the only mode on the camera that does not have some kind of pre-delay option or timer, or antishock mode.  Focus stacking, bracketing, hi-res, etc... all have it. 

I think Olympus needs to offer a shutter type option inside the hdr mode so you can pick what you want.

If enough people raise this issue, I'm sure they would.  I feel like I've been the only one yapping about this since day one.  Actually, I'm much less concerned about shutter shock in an hdr image because of the spread of exposure time...but I am concerned about vibration in general from triggering the camera via the shutter.  I prefer not to touch my camera when I'm on a tripod.  A self timer is nice, a cable release is slightly inconvenient.  When I work, I have been triggering my hdr panoramics from my cell phone.  Annoying, but it works.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)
Pages: [1]   Go Up