Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: choice of spyderprint or colormunki  (Read 2886 times)

mokenny

choice of spyderprint or colormunki
« on: December 28, 2016, 12:39:42 am »

I am interested in profiling my printer. I have read about spyderprint and colormunki photo. Which is a better option especially for black and white. My budget is about $400-$500.
Thanks

Mo Kenny

Roy Sletcher

Re: choice of spyderprint or colormunki
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 01:53:14 pm »

I am surprised there have been no previous replies.

I am a long time lurker, and this is my first post.

I first purchased the Datacolor print profile product several years ago, and was never able to produce a good profile without major hand adjustments. Spent many months in email contact with their tech support support trying to rectify the problem without success. I was very unhappy with the concept that they wanted me to manually edit the output profile based on my visual assessment of a test print.  Eventually they cut me loose saying I was incapable of following their simple instructions. All couched in genteel customer service speak of course.

I then purchased the colormunki from a deal on eBay and have never looked back and that was four years ago. First profile was excellent for my serious amateur needs. All subsequent profiles were good enough for me. It is an entry level product and priced accordingly. Compared with professional products is has a limited but adequate functionality, and of course is priced accordingly. You can spend a lot more for more features.

Depends on your needs and YMMV.

My limited and probably biased advice is go with Xrite.

Prosperous new year to all.

Roy Sletcher

Mac Mahon

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 02:04:22 pm »

My experience mirrors Roy's almost exactly.
After Spyder I purchased Colormunki Photo, and then, being obsessive, an i1Pro.
Have never had a poor profile since getting the XRite tools.  Never got a usable one from the Spyder.
YMMV

Tim

Camerajim

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 03:02:11 pm »

i asked on a different photography site for recommendations and wound up buying the Colormunki as a result. I can't compare it to the Spyder, but like others above, this device has not failed me and it has been easy to use, calibrating my monitor and profiling a series of papers on my printer.

One nice job it did for me was to profile a matte paper I picked up at the liquidation sale of a professional print shop. The paper was loose and carried no brand name, but it is a very nice, warm, substantial paper. It is now my go-to paper for B&W prints. I don't know what I'll do after my substantial supply runs out (I must have about 300 sheets), but the Colormunki made this paper for me.

mokenny

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 07:11:09 pm »

Thank you guys, I am leaning towards the colormunki

Mo Kenny
Pages: [1]   Go Up