Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Software experience  (Read 2877 times)

smikkelmit22

RIP Software experience
« on: December 27, 2016, 06:27:07 pm »

Hi,

What is the best RIP software you can use?
I googled for information, but most information i can find is given by the companies that sell RIP software. I also understand this questions is hard to answer because it depends on what you do. But are there people here that use RIP software?

Personally i do use Shiraz RIP server. The main reason is because i want to nest and use muliple printers at the time. The standard HP software do not allow nesting or printing with multiple printers at the time.

The shiraz softwares works ok, but it is very pricey. I noticed there are few more affordable RIP softwares on the market, like onyx rip software.

Does anyone have any experience with RIP software?

rdonson

Re: RIP Software experience
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 08:35:11 pm »

If you're a member of the site you should be able to find some information on RIPs under "Articles".

Here's one example:

https://luminous-landscape.com/is-printao-8-your-tao-of-printing-printao-8-review/
Regards,
Ron

aaronchan

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 05:30:24 am »

I highly recommend Q-image if you need to do nesting a print with multiple printers only.
And it's not expensive at all

aaron

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 06:08:10 am »

Hi,

From the sound of it, you are mainly interested in the nesting functionality, rather than the traditional Vector rasterization functionality of RIPs.

While a good RIP produces excellent output (because of its close integration with the printer hardware), the image/page editing applications together with the manufacturer's printer drivers (and in the case of MacOS, part of the OS) can nowadays deliver excellent results.

There are some things that need to be taken care of, one of them being a high-quality resampling of the image raster data to the printer driver's native resolution, to avoid an additional low-quality resampling by the printer driver. Also, the addition of high-quality "Output sharpening" after the resampling phase, makes a big difference.

A very affordable solution for both the nesting and the resampling/sharpening requirements, is Qimage Ultimate. While a Windows program, it also runs fine under Parallels on the MacOS. Some Mac users even use a dedicated PC to run Qimage on for their print jobs. The ability of Qimage to watch 'Hot folders' even allows sending print jobs wirelessly from remote locations.

Qimage is also not tied to a specific printer or limited by a maximum size. No, it can print to any printer that has a functioning printer driver, at any size that the printer driver allows (and often even bigger than that). So for those who run multiple printers, or upgrade their hardware regularly, only a single license is required.

I've been using it for some 15 years already, and it has gotten even better (and still does) with each new version. Highly recommended.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:04:38 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rado

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 01:37:14 pm »

I'm adding my vote for Qimage Ultimate. I've recently started using it for printing multiple images per sheet, discovered a bug and the developer released a new version which fixed the problem in less than a week. Just be sure to watch the videos they have in the help section - it's not the most intuitive software to use without some introduction.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 09:42:07 pm »

I'm adding my vote for Qimage Ultimate. I've recently started using it for printing multiple images per sheet, discovered a bug and the developer released a new version which fixed the problem in less than a week. Just be sure to watch the videos they have in the help section - it's not the most intuitive software to use without some introduction.
+1 agreed been using Qimage since 2004.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

smikkelmit22

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 02:03:42 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for all replys.

Bart, you are right. I only use nesting and also need the high quality support. I noticed Qimage ultimate has a trial version. I will try it out this weekend to see how it works.

Excited to try it out. Compared to Shiraz it is almost free. Thanks for the info!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 02:27:08 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for all replys.

Bart, you are right. I only use nesting and also need the high quality support. I noticed Qimage ultimate has a trial version. I will try it out this weekend to see how it works.

Enjoy, but to make the best use of the trial period, also have a look at the instructional videos.

Excited to try it out. Compared to Shiraz it is almost free. Thanks for the info!

You're welcome. Don't let the low price fool you, it's extremely powerful and flexible, once you grasp how efficient it is.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up