Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poster sized images  (Read 3428 times)

hyperbole85

Poster sized images
« on: December 26, 2016, 08:02:25 pm »

I need to create detailed object photographs for business.   I've just been using my 'old' canon rebel T2i. This takes satisfying images that can be printed with a decent resolution up about 18".  However I want to move into doing poster sized prints.  What would I need for this?

Thank you!

degrub

Re: Poster sized images
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 08:51:54 pm »

Rough guide is about 300 pixels per inch for height and width print size. Enlargement to 2x should be doable, but can depend on the image and user needs.

Have a look at the printing tutorials and video tutorials on here. Jeff Schewe's books are an good starting point as well.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:56:23 pm by degrub »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 04:23:54 am »

Rough guide is about 300 pixels per inch for height and width print size. Enlargement to 2x should be doable, but can depend on the image and user needs.

Yes, and viewing distance is of paramount importance to perceived resolution. For certain subjects, stitching can be a solution, or even inevitable. For other subjects, only a higher resolution sensor can do the job. IOW, it depends ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

hasselblad2017

• Art Gallery Hawaii
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 02:34:18 pm »

I think if you need detailed photograph in large format you need an image that is high resolution.
There are two ways to go about it.
Take several images with your canon and stitch is together.
Buy Canon 5dr that makes 50megapixels files
buy Nikon D800 produces 36 megapixels
Hallelblad H5D 60   60 megapixels
or Phase One , let's say 100 megapixels, of course this camera cost as much as small apartment unit.

Good luck.
Rafal

Oboyle79

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 10:46:37 pm »

Another much cheaper option than the large sensor high res cameras mentioned above would be the Olympus omd em5ii which has a high res mode that can produce 60mp raw files. You need to use a tripod and your subject must be a still life but it works quite well.

BAB

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 02:07:35 pm »

Trying to print 30x40" posters @300ppi is a hard way to go you can use as low as 96ppi and get great results. If you viewing distance is 2m or further. Properly exposed images with the right PP and sharpening will result in very usable non cropped files from a 12MP sensor cropping your files is where you will need a larger sensor.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 02:57:32 am »

As Bart said, posters have a certain viewing distance. Even more so when they are printed at low resolution in bulk for marketing purposes. As long as your image is well shot and post produced, there won't be a single problem with large prints.

Talk to your clients and have them explain what kind of end use your images will have, then work your way towards that goal.

As for your equipment: sharper lenses, better light (quality flashes, softboxes, reflectors), post-processing and good technique will help you a lot more than just sinking money into a higher resolution body. You can gradually buy into a more modern system by getting the job done with what you have. The lenses and other equipment will stay with you if you save up for a Canon 5Dsr, so it's a good investment in the long run.

As an example, check out these two shots at 100%. One is from a phone (8MP, cropped), the other is from a D200 (a 2005 "vintage" camera with 10MP, cropped). The phone shot has no sharpness applied to it, and the other only minimal (for web), so with enlargement and better sharpening I could get large prints that are perfectly acceptable for advertisement.
Instagram (updated often)

brianrybolt

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 10:26:08 am »

There is always up-sizing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up