Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Poster sized images

(1/2) > >>

hyperbole85:
I need to create detailed object photographs for business.   I've just been using my 'old' canon rebel T2i. This takes satisfying images that can be printed with a decent resolution up about 18".  However I want to move into doing poster sized prints.  What would I need for this?

Thank you!

degrub:
Rough guide is about 300 pixels per inch for height and width print size. Enlargement to 2x should be doable, but can depend on the image and user needs.

Have a look at the printing tutorials and video tutorials on here. Jeff Schewe's books are an good starting point as well.

Bart_van_der_Wolf:

--- Quote from: degrub on December 26, 2016, 08:51:54 pm ---Rough guide is about 300 pixels per inch for height and width print size. Enlargement to 2x should be doable, but can depend on the image and user needs.
--- End quote ---

Yes, and viewing distance is of paramount importance to perceived resolution. For certain subjects, stitching can be a solution, or even inevitable. For other subjects, only a higher resolution sensor can do the job. IOW, it depends ...

Cheers,
Bart

hasselblad2017:
I think if you need detailed photograph in large format you need an image that is high resolution.
There are two ways to go about it.
Take several images with your canon and stitch is together.
Buy Canon 5dr that makes 50megapixels files
buy Nikon D800 produces 36 megapixels
Hallelblad H5D 60   60 megapixels
or Phase One , let's say 100 megapixels, of course this camera cost as much as small apartment unit.

Good luck.
Rafal

Oboyle79:
Another much cheaper option than the large sensor high res cameras mentioned above would be the Olympus omd em5ii which has a high res mode that can produce 60mp raw files. You need to use a tripod and your subject must be a still life but it works quite well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version