Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethering Question  (Read 2109 times)

Mary K

Tethering Question
« on: December 25, 2016, 09:50:43 pm »

I have been using Adobe Lightroom CC to tether my Canon 5DS R camera for studio photography. I decided to add tethering to a tv monitor via HDMI so I could watch my lighting adjustments in real time on the tv screen. The HDMI connection worked fine, but when I added tethering to my laptop via USB3, the connection to the tv screen was lost.

I would like to know if this would work with Capture One? I had the trial version, but it ran out before I could try tethering both a tv and a laptop to my Canon 5DS R. I am running Windows 10 on my laptop.

Thanks, Mary

Mary Konchar

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Tethering Question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 12:53:12 pm »

Not 100% sure but I doubt that the camera is capable of sending a signal through two interfaces like USB and HDMI simultaneously.  But what you can do is send the signal to your laptop via USB and set your TV up as a second monitor connected to your laptop via HDMI and then use the laptop to mirror the image to both displays at once.

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 08:40:56 am »

Or you could use Capture Pilot with a tablet.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 08:53:58 am »

The two methods listed above are *significantly* better workflows than the one you've been using with LightRoom.

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 11:46:30 am »

I tried this with Nikon D810 with a Mac laptop and the Live View through HDMI goes away when you tether the camera to the computer using USB.

Like E.J. Peiker pointed out you can use the HDMI out of your computer to a TV monitor. With Capture One you can start Live View in a separate window and have that be the foreground window which will display on the TV monitor. After you take a shot you can switch that window and view the result. You can switch Live View in either Photo Live View and Movie Live View (at least with the Nikon).

Actually works great since you have total control over your camera and the images via Capture One.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

Mary K

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 06:53:13 am »

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like the solution is to purchase Capture One and follow uptownguydenver's suggestion.

Mary
Mary Konchar

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 08:34:56 am »

You can download a 30 day trial to check it out. Digital Transitions has a 10% off code on their site. I assume other dealers do also. The license is good for 3 computers.

Plenty of tutorials on the Phase One site. Be sure to compare your files between LR and C1. I think you will be impressed with the RAW processing from C1.

Good luck be sure to have fun.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

Mary K

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 10:28:43 pm »

After purchasing Capture One Pro 10 I again tried setting up my Canon 5DS R so I could tether via USB3 to my laptop, and at the same time tether to a TV monitor via the HDMI ports on the camera and TV.

I'm happy to report that it is working just great. When I select the camera to live view I'm able to see the live view display on the TV. Only problem with that is that it disables live view on the camera itself, so I have to watch the TV screen to do any manual focusing.  If I turn on live view via Capture One I can focus using the laptop if I prefer. Turning live view off on Capture One sends the live view back to the TV.

At the same time I'm able to tether the camera to my laptop using USB3, and capture images to Capture One. So now I can move around the studio adjusting lights while I monitor the adjustments on the large TV screen, which saves me from running back and forth between the camera and lights to see if I'm achieving the lighting effect I want.

So the setup is: TV to camera via HDMI, camera to PC via USB3, turn on camera live view, capture images to Capture One Pro 10.

Note to Canon users: If you shoot in manual mode with studio strobes you may have to disable exposure simulation in live view, otherwise the live view screen may be too dark to see.

Thanks to all for the help.

Mary
Mary Konchar
Pages: [1]   Go Up