Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter in Norway, Norwegian Air Weight Restrictions  (Read 2932 times)

carbone

Winter in Norway, Norwegian Air Weight Restrictions
« on: December 25, 2016, 09:32:00 pm »

Hi all!

I'm going to Norway for a trip this January for about 9 days. My girlfriend and I are spending a few days in Oslo, Tromso, and Stravanger. Any information on must sees would be very appreciated! We are not renting a car but are capable or hiring transit or guides if needed. All tips are welcomed and appreciated!

I'm also wondering if anyone has experience flying Norwegian Air, and dealing with their weight restrictions. They state that they only like one carry one item, and one small personal item, with a combined maximum weight of 10 kilos. I'm trying to figure out if these weight restrictions are enforced and to what extent. I'd love to bring a medium format system on the trip, but I'm seriously struggling with the weight issue.

Thank you in advance for any information.
Matt

sdwilsonsct

Re: Winter in Norway, Norwegian Air Weight Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 08:54:05 am »

... a few days in Oslo, Tromso, and Stravanger....
I'm also wondering if anyone has experience flying Norwegian Air, and dealing with their weight restrictions. They state that they only like one carry one item, and one small personal item, with a combined maximum weight of 10 kilos.

Tromsø: Lofoten is close, as is Abisko. Lots of darkness and clouds, although I believe Abisko is among the least cloudy places in Scandinavia and offers better chances of seeing aurora.

Weight restrictions are what they are. A smaller system with a 1" sensor can produce satisfying images of aurora.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:59:15 am by sdwilsonsct »

hogloff

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:58:48 am »

I took a Vietnam Air flight which has basically the same restrictions and they did weigh my carryon. I was under the limit so I have no idea what the consequences are for being over the limit.

I'd make sure your carryon is within the limits to be sure. I'm sure they have the right to make you check in the overweight luggage.

Hezu

• Galerie Hezu
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 02:08:02 pm »

I'm also wondering if anyone has experience flying Norwegian Air, and dealing with their weight restrictions. They state that they only like one carry one item, and one small personal item, with a combined maximum weight of 10 kilos. I'm trying to figure out if these weight restrictions are enforced and to what extent. I'd love to bring a medium format system on the trip, but I'm seriously struggling with the weight issue.
I guess often you might be able to bring slightly overweight hand luggage in - assuming of course that your bag is within the allowed dimensions and looks light enough to not raise suspicion. But then sometimes there might be also airport staff that wants to weight also hand baggage and in the worst case scenario wants to check your bag - which on Norwegian Air Shuttle also means extra fees, which will be higher when paying at the airport rather than online. My personal experience with them is just two legs on Longyearbyen-Oslo-Helsinki route and I was able to get my slightly overweight camera backback inside planes without problems, but Internet searches do find also few different experiences...
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola

Petrus

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 03:33:02 am »

There are two of you...

At least in the past one could carry one camera or binoculars in addition to the hand luggage. Besides they always allow a handbag for the ladies. So you should be able to sneak about 25 kg of MF gear past them.

jeremyrh

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 08:36:21 am »

I have travelled regularly with Norwegian between Copenhagen and London and not had a problem with them weighing my bag. The bag itself fits in the regulations and if I adopt a relaxed smile it's not obvious that it weighs a ton. They haven't weighed it but they may do depending on the mood of the staff.

carbone

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 12:31:54 pm »

Thanks everyone! I certainly trimmed down the gear I was bringing, and using the girlfriend to carry a few things (just through check in! Promise.)

Thanks again, looking forward to the trip.

Ray R

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 04:21:51 pm »

Not specific to Norwegian Air, but I always try and keep my carry on bag at less than the allowance.

I have had my carry on bag weighed twice, once at Gatwick and it was just over. I was asked to remove something so I removed the flash gun and was told it was okay. The flash was still in my hand and he let it through and I just put the flash back in the bag.

The other time was returning from Majorca and quite a few passengers had to pay extra.

I have a jacket with lots of pockets (either a fishing or photography jacket, not sure which), I put the heavier items, camera body and 70-200 f2.8 and other items in the pockets.

I have a silnylon bag (weighs nothing to a camera bag) to go through check in.

I have some lens pouches in the silnylon bag to transfer the camera equipment to when leaving the airport.

I wear the jacket with the camera equipment through the checkin. Its easy to wear through the security check as it can be taken off and placed in one of the trays and then put back on.

I don't tend to return the equipment to the bag until I am on the plane in case they decide to check the bag at the gate.

Having been to Finland in winter I wear a down jacket over the top, once on the plane I take the down jacket off and I take the jacket with all the camera gear - body, at least 2-3 lenses - off and place it in the silnylon bag, which has my laptop in it as well.

If I'm taking a camera bag I put it in my hold luggage as they can weigh a substantial part of the carry on allowance.

Pages: [1]   Go Up