Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best bulk ink system for 7600.  (Read 6280 times)

artherd

Best bulk ink system for 7600.
« on: July 15, 2006, 02:04:15 am »

I am already tired of paying epson's prices, even in the 220ml size.

What is the best bulk ink system going, namely replacement inks.  I am very happy with the Ultrachrome inks the 7600 uses, though the gloss differential could use a little work on glossy paper.  

Using Bill Atkinson's profiles right now, want to get at least this quality of result.   Don't have a spectrometer yet

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 09:38:39 am »

The reason Epson can get away with the prices it charges for ink is that nothing else is comparable with regard to print longevity and color gamut. The knockoff inks won't last as long, or don't have as wide of a gamut, or are more likely to clog the print head, or all of the above.

The 220ml carts are the best deal you can get overall.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 10:09:35 am »

The knockoff inks won't last as long, or don't have as wide of a gamut, or are more likely to clog the print head, or all of the above.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70763\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My experience with clone inks is nothing like Jonathan's.   I've used clone inks for years with few problems.  I have clone ink prints hanging (behind glass) in direct sunshine for over five years with zero fading.  More than I can say for their Cibachrome friends nearby.

Ink gamut may or may not differ between manufacturers, but IMHO, it would take a forensic examination to reveal significant, consistent visible differences.  These can probably be compensated for.

Clogging is an issue whatever the ink.  The only difference with Epson inks is the fact that clearing the clogs costs you at least four times as much.

In my experience, If you're paying for the ink yourself, clone inks are good value.

Peter

artherd

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 03:13:55 pm »

Greetings peter, thanks for the reply.   Is this with a 4000/7600/9600 machine? (as they share the same printhead)  Which brand, etc.   Would you be willing to share more of your expierencine on switching to the clone Ultrachrome inks?

PS: behind real glass, or acyrlic?

My experience with clone inks is nothing like Jonathan's.   I've used clone inks for years with few problems.  I have clone ink prints hanging (behind glass) in direct sunshine for over five years with zero fading.  More than I can say for their Cibachrome friends nearby.

Ink gamut may or may not differ between manufacturers, but IMHO, it would take a forensic examination to reveal significant, consistent visible differences.  These can probably be compensated for.

Clogging is an issue whatever the ink.  The only difference with Epson inks is the fact that clearing the clogs costs you at least four times as much.

In my experience, If you're paying for the ink yourself, clone inks are good value.

Peter
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70769\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 10:02:45 pm »

Greetings peter, thanks for the reply.   Is this with a 4000/7600/9600 machine? (as they share the same printhead)  Which brand, etc.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70789\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My experience is with desktop printers and 4-colour inksets.  Epson 1160's and 880's specifically, and Generations 4 pigment inks.  I've probably used a nearly a gallon of each colour in the time I've used these systems.  Imagine the cost savings

I have a 4800 now and will convert to funnel-fill carts and K3 clone inks soon.  Probably from MIS Associates.  This system seems generate good reports on the Yahoo wide format list.

P

artherd

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 01:18:05 am »

Can I use Bill Atkinson's profiles for Epson Ultrachrome inks with the MISPRO Ultrachrome-equivilent inks?    I use almost exclusively Epson Premium Glossy paper.

CFS system with seperate 500ml bottles, or the new funnel-fillable clear carts? http://www.inksupply.com/funnelfill.cfm  (I'd lean towards the bottles, but the carts look easier to deal with, no outboard mounting required.  

This could cut my cost on a 24x36 from ~$33 to about ~$9, which is truely awesome.

Does that yahoo list have any archives I can wade through?   Finding specific info on the 7600 and MIS or other bulk systems is not easy, seems pretty specialized.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 01:19:13 am by artherd »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 09:31:28 am »

Can I use Bill Atkinson's profiles for Epson Ultrachrome inks with the MISPRO Ultrachrome-equivilent inks?    I use almost exclusively Epson Premium Glossy paper.

No, any time you change paper or ink, you need a new profile. Your best bet is probably to have one made unless you want to invest at least $1000 in a spectrophotometer kit.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 07:51:30 am »

I have used the system by mediastreet on my 7600 for over 2 years withe excellent results and little trouble.  had to replace chips on the carts once.  I believe they will make you a custom profile for FREE if you purchase their ink, on as many papers as you would like--before I invested in my own EyeOne system, i used their profiles nad found them to be very good--not perfect but very good.

I would and have  recommended to others.  Just this past weekend i got feedback from another photographer at an art fair who took my suggestion and he has been very happy as well.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

nigeldh

• http://www.luminousnature.com
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 11:02:09 pm »

CFS system with seperate 500ml bottles, or the new funnel-fillable clear carts? http://www.inksupply.com/funnelfill.cfm  (I'd lean towards the bottles, but the carts look easier to deal with, no outboard mounting required.   

This could cut my cost on a 24x36 from ~$33 to about ~$9, which is truely awesome.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70826\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Go with the funnel fillable cartridges if you ever want to move the unit. The outboard bottles are a pain. I have an Epson 1280 with a Media Street Niagara II and G Chrome pigment ink. I put the printer and bottles on a laminate shelf board to make the unit easier to move.

Both MSI and Media Street give fade test info for their inks on their web sites. Red River paper also has some fade test info on their web site.

I calculate my ink cost to  be about 25 cents US per square foot using bulk pigment ink and my CIS, continous ink system.

Nigel
Pages: [1]   Go Up