Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leather pop-up camera?  (Read 1031 times)

seekinglight

Leather pop-up camera?
« on: December 25, 2016, 12:52:15 pm »

My late father left me his camera equipment. Much of the more valuable pieces he sold when he transistioned to another hobby, but I have been enjoying his large format wooden ZoneVI, and his Cambo 4x5.

This one item has me puzzled. It looks like a pop-up camera in a stainless steel and leather housing. On one end is a proprietary electrical connection, on the other end is a 1/4" window -possibly covering a power-on indicator, or it is covering a small light sensor for metering.

It has no brand or model ID. Looks like a glued on plate came off the end with the 1/4" window.

I've not been able to open it by gently pulling on, twisting, or attempting to slide the small box on top. (On bottom in the photo where I hold it upside down.)

I'm hoping someone recognizes the brand or model. I'd like to learn how to open it, and maybe shoot with it. I don't expect it to have any value other than the pleasure of using it.

Please no replies about better cameras are available. I own Canon 1DX and 5D mkII that I've used for sports, news, and wedding photography.

This is about solving a mystery and tinkering with something that may be fun.

Thanks for any help or clues.

sgilbert

Re: Leather pop-up camera?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 12:57:49 pm »

seekinglight

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 03:06:11 pm »

That's it! I should have tried "folding" instead of "pop-up".

Now I've got the manual, I see it shoots film packs of roughly 3.25x3.25 -the fraction may be different, but that doesn't matter. On page 16 of the user manual the images show what looks like 4x5 film coming out. But it makes no mention of 4x5 film. All other images show the smaller, square 3.25".

Impossible Project appears to make film packs for this camera (in the roughly 3.25x3.25 size) and another company makes reusable flash bars for the camera. The flash plugs into what I thought was a power connection.

It was scary to open. Took a lot more pulling force than I expected. I ended up pulling on the linkage to assist it opening with less stress on the fragile feeling top.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 04:06:52 pm »

Pandora's Box.

Rob C

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 05:21:26 pm »

Google or search eBay for Polaroid SX-70
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography