Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 2015.8 - Is it Bug Free?  (Read 15147 times)

rdonson

Re: LR 2015.8 - Is it Bug Free?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 09:47:19 am »

I've processed over 1000 photos on my iMac and MBP with the latest version (CC).  No serious problems. 

I do have one oddity that I haven't figured out yet.  On my MBP I can't figure out how to get Lr out of fullscreen mode.  It just takes over the desktop as soon as I bring it up and there are no red, yellow, green button to be seen nor any keyboard shortcuts that stop the behavior.  If anyone has an idea about how to fix this I'd be very indebted.
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 09:52:32 am »

Shift F cycles through the screen modes. The standard menu should also be available  when you move the cursor to the top.

If you are in the true full screen mode, Esc or F get you out of it.

rdonson

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 10:00:02 am »

Thanks, John!!!

The Lr app was in true Mac OS fullscreen mode - moving the cursor to the top had no effect.  I cycled through Shift-F a few times and then things returned to normal.

Thanks again!!!!
Regards,
Ron

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 10:26:49 am »

Thanks, John!!!

The Lr app was in true Mac OS fullscreen mode - moving the cursor to the top had no effect.  I cycled through Shift-F a few times and then things returned to normal.

Thanks again!!!!

Shift-F cycles through LR as a window, full screen with menu bar and full screen without menu bar as F did in the past. I believe this was a change from LR 4 to 5. When this was changed F would display a selected picture in full screen. F (or esc and a number of other shortcuts) again takes it out of full screen for that image.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 10:30:38 am »

Yes, it was a change, and I think you've got the timing right.

There is an acknowledged bug on Mac where the side panels are blanked. It doesn't happen that often and fixes itself or is fixed by a restart, but it can be confusing when first encountered. It shouldn't stop anyone upgrading.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 10:56:21 am »

There is an acknowledged bug .......... It shouldn't stop anyone upgrading.

Nor should it be left unattended; and one can ask why it wasn't detected before release.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 11:08:18 am »

There is an acknowledged bug .......... It shouldn't stop anyone upgrading.

Nor should it be left unattended; and one can ask why it wasn't detected before release.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 11:21:23 am »

Infrequent minor bugs are harder to spot and easy to filter out. This one appears to have been knocking around for a couple of versions but it looked a lot like Lights Out mode. You might get it once, it's fixed with a restart or switching to another module, you might never see it again, so you just shrug and move on.

Acknowledged means it''l be fixed.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 12:26:29 pm »

Sounds reasonable enough to me.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2017, 09:44:11 am »

There are significant bugs in Lightroom 2015.8 running in Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2.

1. The point curve (tone curve panel) is extremely difficult to use when adding and adjusting custom curves.
2. Subtle adjustment of colors in the HSL adjustment panel using the drag tool cannot be made. Only with a jerking motion are adjustments possible.

The above problems and others have been documented since the release of Sierra, back in September, 2016. But Adobe has not even tried to fix these issues. So much for their CC promises.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/tone-curve-still-broken-in-lr-cc2015-8?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2017, 10:54:21 am »

But Adobe has not even tried to fix these issues. So much for their CC promises.

What makes you so sure of that? Do you have inside information on what their staff is doing or not doing? Once a bug has been acknowledged, which if I'm reading correctly it seems that it was, it means they know it's there and intend to fix it. We have no way of knowing how much time they need to fix an issue like this, test it and get it released into an update, so I would cut them a bit of slack on the timing - and there's been a holiday season recently. The fact that these problems are OS-specific also suggests that Adobe may not be alone in fixing the problem. Cooperation with Apple may also be needed. We don't know whether this is the case or how that works, or doesn't. I think the important thing is the acknowledgement, because nothing happens without that. My preference would be that all aspects of elementary functionality get thoroughly tested and bugs fixed prerelease, but here again going back to John's post, being on the outside we don't know quite what's reasonable to expect for a prerelease testing process, versus the customers being the ultimate beta testers - probably a combination, which is awkward and why discussions like this are valuable. But that said it's preferable to keep the tone level and focused on useful information for potential upgraders. 

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2017, 12:03:11 pm »

On Win10 LR 2015.8 the second line of the loupe info will not render.  See attached.  Any tips on how to get it back?

Rory
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

rdonson

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2017, 02:23:27 pm »

I do have one issue with Lr 2015.8 CC - it still stinks at sharpening RAW files from the Fuji X-T2. 

I do have a workaround though.  I simply zero out the default sharpening settings and do sharpening in PS using Nik Sharpener Pro converted to a Smart Object.  It works great but adds steps to my workflow.

Others have given up and use Iridient, CaptureOne, etc. for RAW processing.

How is it that there are other RAW processors are capable of sharpening files from a non-Bayer sensor but Adobe isn't?  Is there something amiss with their sharpening algorithms? 
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2017, 02:54:46 pm »

The complaints about Lr's handling of Fuji files are much quieter than in the past.

Returning to a pre-Lightroom "workflow" of multiple apps holds very little appeal, and I also judge the results by examining the final print rather than pixelpeeping. So I certainly haven't given up sharpening XT2 files in Lr. But by comparison with Nikon raw files, for example, I do notice how one needs to fine tune the sharpening for each image (or group of similar images) rather than setting a default and largely sticking to it.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2017, 04:42:58 pm »

What makes you so sure of that? Do you have inside information on what their staff is doing or not doing? Once a bug has been acknowledged, which if I'm reading correctly it seems that it was, it means they know it's there and intend to fix it. We have no way of knowing how much time they need to fix an issue like this, test it and get it released into an update, so I would cut them a bit of slack on the timing - and there's been a holiday season recently. The fact that these problems are OS-specific also suggests that Adobe may not be alone in fixing the problem. Cooperation with Apple may also be needed. We don't know whether this is the case or how that works, or doesn't. I think the important thing is the acknowledgement, because nothing happens without that. My preference would be that all aspects of elementary functionality get thoroughly tested and bugs fixed prerelease, but here again going back to John's post, being on the outside we don't know quite what's reasonable to expect for a prerelease testing process, versus the customers being the ultimate beta testers - probably a combination, which is awkward and why discussions like this are valuable. But that said it's preferable to keep the tone level and focused on useful information for potential upgraders.

This problem, exiting since a beta version, was in fact reported to Adobe during the summer. One thing I did not mention is that both ACR 9.8 and Photoshop 2017.0.1 work perfectly with Sierra 10.12.2  It is unlikely that Mac OS is consort to this problem as Lightroom is basically ACR with a shell. And frankly, that the other two programs work makes me wonder.

One of the promises Adobe made to justify CC was the promise of quick bug fixes. So while you may be happy to pay monthly fees for a faulty product many others are not. And yes, for anyone wishing to upgrade, the knowledge that Adobe is not fulfilling it's obligation is indeed useful information. While you ask fairness for Adobe there are customers who deserve the same.

rdonson

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2017, 04:59:50 pm »

The complaints about Lr's handling of Fuji files are much quieter than in the past.

Returning to a pre-Lightroom "workflow" of multiple apps holds very little appeal, and I also judge the results by examining the final print rather than pixelpeeping. So I certainly haven't given up sharpening XT2 files in Lr. But by comparison with Nikon raw files, for example, I do notice how one needs to fine tune the sharpening for each image (or group of similar images) rather than setting a default and largely sticking to it.

Hi John,

I was able to get Lr to the point where it sharpened files from my X-T1 quite satisfactorily.  The jump to the X-T2 with a 50% increase in resolution definitely changed things for me though.  All I could achieve was blah/average results in Lr before the "wormy" look set in.  Using Nik Sharpener definitely provided a significant difference for me using the Pre and Output sharpener. 

As you say it does depend a lot on subject matter.  My night photography gets by with the X-Pro2 settings that Pete Bridgwood recommended.  Highly detailed landscapes that I've been working on though require more attention than that.

I generally confine myself to 100% pixel peeping but with Lr and the X-T2 I feel compelled to look at 200% to ensure I avoid the "worms".  Using Nik Sharpener Pro with the suggestions provided by Dan Hughes video has made a significant difference for me.   There I'm automatically zoomed to 300% to ensure things don't get out of hand (over sharpened).

Yes, I do print.  I use my Epson SC P800 and print up to 17x22 routinely.

Do you print from Lr?  What output print sharpening do you select for that, if you use Lr?
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2017, 06:39:25 pm »

Do you print from Lr?  What output print sharpening do you select for that, if you use Lr?

It's as I described before, Ron, in that I don't have a rule for XT2 images and decide individually to a greater extent than with other cameras. With my own Nikons I feel I have a default - high output sharpening - but with the XT2 I can go for low or standard or high output sharpening, dependent on the photo's content and the print size. I don't feel I've settled down after 3 months.

The main point related to this thread is that Adobe have continued to improve rendering of Fuji raw files, and fewer people are dissatisfied with it. It's not a reason to avoid upgrading - quite the contrary.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2017, 06:45:10 pm »

This problem, exiting since a beta version, was in fact reported to Adobe during the summer. One thing I did not mention is that both ACR 9.8 and Photoshop 2017.0.1 work perfectly with Sierra 10.12.2  It is unlikely that Mac OS is consort to this problem as Lightroom is basically ACR with a shell. And frankly, that the other two programs work makes me wonder.

One of the promises Adobe made to justify CC was the promise of quick bug fixes. So while you may be happy to pay monthly fees for a faulty product many others are not. And yes, for anyone wishing to upgrade, the knowledge that Adobe is not fulfilling it's obligation is indeed useful information. While you ask fairness for Adobe there are customers who deserve the same.

What beta version? There haven't been any public betas since....

Like I said before, some bugs are difficult to assess. You've really got to screw around with the tone curve to replicate the bug you mentioned, and I've never been seen the other one. Significant? Either of them? Not really. A reason to avoid upgrading? If you are on CC, features like the Reference View vastly outweigh these minor irritations.

rdonson

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2017, 10:02:13 am »

The main point related to this thread is that Adobe have continued to improve rendering of Fuji raw files, and fewer people are dissatisfied with it. It's not a reason to avoid upgrading - quite the contrary.

I agree.  I would NOT avoid upgrading.  I have CC and I am committed to the Adobe platform and filling in where necessary with plugins. 

As I understand it Adobe and Fuji continue to work on the getting the most out of RAF files in the Adobe world.
Regards,
Ron

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2017, 10:44:38 am »

What beta version? There haven't been any public betas since....

Like I said before, some bugs are difficult to assess. You've really got to screw around with the tone curve to replicate the bug you mentioned, and I've never been seen the other one. Significant? Either of them? Not really. A reason to avoid upgrading? If you are on CC, features like the Reference View vastly outweigh these minor irritations.

Minor irritations? Ha! Maybe to you but to those of us who use the custom point tone curve adjustment regularly it is a major problem. You don't mention what OS you use, so perhaps this problem doesn't effect you. And as I said before, paying customers deserve respect from Adobe. The two links below illustrate how other users feel. The first link is older which contains links to youtube video samples of the problems. Curiously Adobe merged the older discussions into one, and in doing so purged the links to the videos:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-6-toning-curve?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/tone-curve-still-broken-in-lr-cc2015-8?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up