Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 2015.8 - Is it Bug Free?  (Read 15060 times)

pflower

LR 2015.8 - Is it Bug Free?
« on: December 25, 2016, 12:22:02 pm »

After the debacle with the previous version of LR with the printing bugs, I have stayed away from upgrading.  However the new version - 2015.8 - with reference view could be useful.  I haven't seen anyone (here or elsewhere) complaining about bugs in this version.  So is it safe to upgrade?  I am running Mac OSX 10.11.3.

Thanks

Stan Bax

• Bax
    • Bax
Re: LR 2015.8 - Is it Bug Free?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 12:58:17 pm »

Using with no problems today (re keywording day before Christmas Dinner ;) ), no problems reported, but haven't tried printing yet...

Merry Christmas !

Stan

After the debacle with the previous version of LR with the printing bugs, I have stayed away from upgrading.  However the new version - 2015.8 - with reference view could be useful.  I haven't seen anyone (here or elsewhere) complaining about bugs in this version.  So is it safe to upgrade?  I am running Mac OSX 10.11.3.

Thanks

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 04:09:06 pm »

On Windws 10 machine I have extensively used library, develop and print modules without any problem.
cheers,
Boudewijn Swanenburg

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 08:39:26 pm »

I'm seeing a problem in library view: a color label is sometimes applied to the wrong image. Restarting the program fixes it. I'd never seen that problem before.

DB1

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 04:49:59 am »

After upgrading to 2015.8 (perpetual) I found that when images in the Develop module are marked with a "X" as rejected, and then using CMD-Delete the program freezes, which then requires a restart to solve the problem.

System: MacPro 2009 32GB Ram, OS 10.10.5 

-David.

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 04:59:56 am »

Your title might be a little optimistic. There's an old programmers' rule:

1. All non-trivial programs have at least one bug.
2. It is a sufficient condition of program triviality that it have no bugs.

Jeremy

Simon Garrett

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 06:29:52 am »

Your title might be a little optimistic. There's an old programmers' rule:

1. All non-trivial programs have at least one bug.
2. It is a sufficient condition of program triviality that it have no bugs.

Jeremy

+1, although I'd add that for a program to be trivial enough to have no bugs, then it also is likely to have no use either.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 08:36:13 am »

The real question is whether is has any serious flaws and glad the O/P asked. This would be a good place to collect the experience of the early adopters.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 09:33:34 am »

The real question is whether is has any serious flaws and glad the O/P asked. This would be a good place to collect the experience of the early adopters.

Hi Mark,

While I agree that it can be useful to collect user experiences (here or on the Adobe forums), it still strikes me as strange that 'early adopters' play such an important role in what's supposed to be an otherwise stable subscription product. I'd have thought that getting the latest bugfixes and optimizations is one of the benefits of updates, whether perpetual license or subscription license?

And even new features, which may have some teething issues, seem slow to mature. Take the Chromatic Aberration correction for the individual Raws used in HDR or Pano stitches. Has it materialized yet?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 09:57:49 am »

Hi Bart,

We have Adobe and their brilliant engineers to thank for a considerable portion the image processing capability we currently enjoy, but there has been a number of mishaps of late that raised questions about the readiness of updates for prime-time. I think part of it is the sheer complexity of all there is out there that can go wrong with so many system configurations and applications in use, and the other part perhaps less thorough-going QA than warranted under the circumstances - though I'm not trained to really know this - I can only make empirical inferences which may or may not be well-founded. From the discussion that ensued after these incidents, I was impressed with the comments of those experienced with software development suggesting that in the very nature of the inherent issues arising from complexity and diversity, we have to expect that a number of problems may only be discovered through the user base.  In light of all that, a good number of us have become a bit hesitant to be early adopters, especially if the need is not compelling; we therefore need to depend on the experience of those who are early adopters for guidance, so perhaps we need to stop expecting perfection from the get-go and learn to live with a certain sense of adventure and uncertainty, and adopt our own risk aversion strategies, though of course I wouldn't want to see this taken too far. I don't think the software acquisition model is a variable in the causal factors of this situation whatever they may really be; but it is a differentiating factor at the curative end. You may recall that when the printing bug was unearthed and fixed mid-year, Adobe issued a "dot-release" update very quickly after understanding it was their issue to fix. This is the welcome kind of flexibility that the subscription model carries with it. As for the time taken with new features to "mature", I'm all for that if it will make for more bullet-proof releases. We already have so many excellent tools to work with. If it needs to take some time for new features to mature, there are likely good reasons for it and so be it. Sooner or later they happen and we'll all benefit.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 11:29:31 am »

You may recall that when the printing bug was unearthed and fixed mid-year, Adobe issued a "dot-release" update very quickly after understanding it was their issue to fix. This is the welcome kind of flexibility that the subscription model carries with it.

While I agree with the rest of your post, I don't see how the subscription model has anything to do with a dot release to fix a serious bug.  The bug would have been fixed and a dot release made available just as quickly if no subscription model existed.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 11:33:33 am »

For a serious bug, yes, that's likely, but not so for new features, where according to Adobe the subscription update model provides more flexibility to introduce new features as they get developed rather than awaiting the conventional upgrade cycle.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 12:59:22 pm »

+1, although I'd add that for a program to be trivial enough to have no bugs, then it also is likely to have no use either.
Windows notepad :)

John Hollenberg

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 05:07:57 pm »

For a serious bug, yes, that's likely, but not so for new features, where according to Adobe the subscription update model provides more flexibility to introduce new features as they get developed rather than awaiting the conventional upgrade cycle.

True, but I haven't seen anything in LR CC that would make me want to switch from the standalone version.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 05:43:54 pm »

Do you have the new Upright panel yet in the stand-alone?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 06:27:17 pm »

....Adobe issued a "dot-release" update very quickly after understanding it was their issue to fix. This is the welcome kind of flexibility that the subscription model carries with it....
There's nothing specific about the subscription model that allows fast dot releases, it's nothing new and has been around since software started.

What has changed with subscription is stopping public beta releases. So now you get the latest idea released to everyone without, voluntary, mass testing first.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 06:34:43 pm »

From a technical perspective?  Really?  How so?  They are both simply downloads of a new version of the program.  Adobe argued that would be an advantage of the subscription model, where there would not be pressure to produce gee whiz features at the expense of nuts and bolts improvements.  The flexibility is in the financial model, where they can maintain cash flow.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2016, 07:12:26 pm »

From a technical perspective?  Really?  How so?  They are both simply downloads of a new version of the program.  Adobe argued that would be an advantage of the subscription model, where there would not be pressure to produce gee whiz features at the expense of nuts and bolts improvements.  The flexibility is in the financial model, where they can maintain cash flow.

Adobe never made a distinction between what you call "gee whiz" features and "nuts and bolts improvements". Their argument favouring the subscription model was that it would depart from the practice of creating updates on the 18 month cycle during which ALL changes would accumulate and be introduced at the same time; instead, on the subscription model they offered the prospect of introducing amendments and new features as and when they are readied without waiting-out the 18 months. In their view this is a more flexible approach, and as long as they do it that way, I would have to agree.

As for the financial model, in their last 10-K submission to the US Government before they introduced this new approach to software marketing they said that for some time into the future this model would actually impair cash flow because it would cut-off the huge gob of cash that would otherwise come in all at once at upgrade time, replacing it with a monthly stream of much smaller amounts. I can also picture that being plausible. Nonetheless they opined in the same document that over the long term this approach would prove to be a superior business model in terms of retaining customers and earning at least as much as they did under the traditional licensing model. Apparently other software companies view it likewise as other big players, such as Microsoft with its Office product, are doing the same thing. I recall from the pricing of the 18 month upgrades of both Photoshop and Lightroom that with the subscription mode, 18 months of these monthly payments on the Photography Bundle would actually cost me no more, if not somewhat less, assuming I would upgrade every cycle as they always provided some new attractive features that were too hard to resist. But all this takes us somewhat afar from the concern of the O/P which was whether the new release is buggy. Perhaps the thread should focus on that hereafter.

hogloff

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 06:59:36 pm »

Yes Mark, getting back to the original topic. I've used the latest LR to process about 500 images and made 25 prints without any issues.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 07:18:53 pm »

Good to hear. Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up