Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RX10iii vs DL24-500  (Read 2310 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
RX10iii vs DL24-500
« on: December 25, 2016, 11:47:27 am »

As I get older I find I have less and less interest or patience for shlepping a FF DSLR or even an M43 body with 2 or 3 lenses. The latest "bridge" cameras, particularly the ones in the subject line, are looking pretty tempting. I have been reading specs and reviews but would love to hear any personal experiences/opinions. Thanks.

Petrus

Re: RX10iii vs DL24-500
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 12:27:29 pm »

Nikon DL24-500 is not available yet, so nobody can do a comparison for you. Even the Sony is not widely available, even though I have held one couple of months ago. Seriously thinking about getting one (Sony, that is, "for my wife"), as a f/4 600mm (equivalence) at $1600 is quite amazing, and the image quality is supposedly more than good enough. Nikon D5 with 600mm f/4 costs $18000 and weighs a ton, and the image quality certainly is not 10 times better, not even twice...

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 05:22:12 am »

As I get older I find I have less and less interest or patience for shlepping a FF DSLR or even an M43 body with 2 or 3 lenses. The latest "bridge" cameras, particularly the ones in the subject line, are looking pretty tempting. I have been reading specs and reviews but would love to hear any personal experiences/opinions. Thanks.

Terry McDonald (luxborealis), whose views I would tend to respect, wrote a lengthy piece on the Sony here just a week or two ago. It's certainly tempted me.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:07:38 am by kikashi »

myotis

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 07:29:42 am »

No personal experience of either of these cameras, but I have used Nikon 1 cameras a fair amount (along with FF Nikons), and its pretty obvious that many of complaints users had about the Nikon 1 cameras, Nikon have taken on board with the DL cameras.

Essentially they seem to be fixed lens Nikon 1s, and  the Nikon 1 J5 sensor gives very good results, and the DLs are meant to have some improvements on that sensor.  So although, I am personally waiting for a replacement for the Nikon V3, I suspect the DL will be a well thought out camera.  They are meant to be available in January some time.

If you haven't already seen this (The Camera Store TV), there are some interesting comparisons between the Sony and the Panasonic FZ2000/2500 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5loVIxF_c

Cheers,

Graham

jwstl

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 12:52:40 pm »

The RX10III is a much better camera because it actually exists. I want a camera in this classification and was hoping the Nikons would be released by now so I could compare but they are still just an announcement and not a product at this point. And we still don't know when we'll see a DL. I went to a local camera shop and played with the RX10III and the first thing that struck me was the size: it's a big camera. But it needs to be to house that lens. I really wanted to try the DL 24-500 because it is considerably smaller thanks to the shorter tele and slightly slower aperture. I'm now thinking the RX10II might be my choice: don't need to go past 200mm all that often and it's smaller/lighter/cheaper.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 11:27:21 am »

For those interested in the video capabilities of the RX10iii, this review gives some interesting perspective and video examples.
I am particularly impressed by the 120 fps HD slow-motion quality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up