Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Industrial Decay Fetish  (Read 3064 times)

N80

Re: Industrial Decay Fetish
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 05:39:22 pm »

That whirlwind is being reaped.

Rob

Indeed.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

N80

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 10:11:47 pm »

In light of the purely coincidental Historic Industrial Mill article here at LuLa, which I thoroughly enjoyed and was inspired by, I thought I'd mention a few things about the mill in the pictures I've posted. It was officially known as Rock Hill Printing and Finishing but is known by the locals as the "bleachery" and was a major employer in its day. It was absolutely massive extending three or four blocks along the railroad tracks right in the middle of town. The bulk of it recently burned (vandalism) and then bulldozed. All that remains is a warehouse or two on one end (which are still in use as a shipping facility) and the power house and water treatment facility at the other end. That is where my pictures where taken. Both are nearly in ruins. They are wet, dark and potentially dangerous inside. The amazing thing is is that the mill did not depend on the local utilities at all. Trains delivered coal which fired the huge furnaces in the powerhouse to produce steam which ran much of the equipment as far as I can tell. I also found and photographed the remains of several steam turbines which were clearly used to turn generators to produce electricity. One is pictured below. Water was pumped in from the river, which was not close by, and treated in the water treatment facility for all factory uses including steam. Waste water was treated again and released. At one point I became so captivated by figuring out the whole power and water process that I stopped taking pictures as I followed the path of the cool through the facility, into the furnaces/boilers, out to the mill and into the turbines.

The city hopes to one day convert what remains into a retail/restaurant facility. Having crawled over every inch of it all I can say is that it will be incredibly expensive just to get all the machinery and pipes out. I hope to talk to the city manager again soon because I'd really like to go back in with my D750 which will be much more suited to the task than my old D200.

George

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2016, 05:04:19 am »

George, don't knock your old D200: I use mine far more than I do its younger sister, my D700, despite knowing the latter has better stuff inside it (I am told). I think the love for the older girl is because of the way she converts my FF lenses... She also fits my moods better, I think. Like all love, it really defies and defeats analysis.

At the back of my mid there's also the idea that if I get mugged, then I'm losing something less valuable, though in absolute terms, I think the new D200 cost me more than did the new D700. But maybe I should abandon the fear: a mugging would probably give me my third heart attack anyway, so what difference would which camera make?

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:32:15 am by Rob C »

N80

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 08:50:34 am »

My D200 remains my favorite camera ever. It was the first and only camera so far that met every need I had when it came out (obviously needs and desires vary). At the time I felt like it lacked nothing. It was my first digital camera. I used it as my primary body for TEN YEARS! So far the D750 exceeds the D200 in almost every way but one: The D750 feels cheap in my hands even with an L-bracket on it. The D200 feels substantial and robust. So....if you get mugged and that mugging is going to give you a heart attack anyway....then you have nothing to lose....so use the D200 as a weapon....it will probably incapacitate your attacker and still function properly afterward. ;)

Merry Christmas.
George

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2016, 10:29:22 am »

My D200 remains my favorite camera ever. It was the first and only camera so far that met every need I had when it came out (obviously needs and desires vary). At the time I felt like it lacked nothing. It was my first digital camera. I used it as my primary body for TEN YEARS! So far the D750 exceeds the D200 in almost every way but one: The D750 feels cheap in my hands even with an L-bracket on it. The D200 feels substantial and robust. So....if you get mugged and that mugging is going to give you a heart attack anyway....then you have nothing to lose....so use the D200 as a weapon....it will probably incapacitate your attacker and still function properly afterward. ;)

Merry Christmas.

Sound advice, George, I shall remember that!

I only ever had two digital cameras - the two I mentioned.

Season's best to you!

Rob C

BobDavid

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 10:57:04 am »

Keep it up! Maybe try cropping off a bit on the right side of the frame? +1
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up