Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taos  (Read 1346 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Taos
« on: December 21, 2016, 10:37:58 am »

Matt reminded me how much I loved Taos. Used to go down from Manitou Springs often and spend a fair amount of time there. Can't make the trip any more -- from Florida.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Taos
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 12:05:39 pm »

Nice images that really capture some of the essence of the place! It's got a funky vibe all its own, that is for sure.

I was hired by a software company based there in 2001 and am still employed by them (although we have since been acquired). I get down there 2-4x per year for business and I'm also a fan even if the business environment can be challenging at times. It's a four hour drive from here through the San Luis Valley which has really grown on me over the years. Beautiful people and a big stark landscape.

I hope you don't mind me contributing a few shots to the thread as well.

IMGP3880.jpg by Matt Burt, on Flickr

IMGP0753.jpg by Matt Burt, on Flickr

IMGP0727.jpg by Matt Burt, on Flickr

IMGP5053-Edit.jpg by Matt Burt, on Flickr

IMGP9623-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr

-MattB

RSL

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:16:52 pm »

Don't mind at all, Matt. I love the place and miss it sorely.

Here are two more shots. One is a shack that was in the compound behind San Francisco de Asis in 2011. Doubt it's still there today. The other one is the interior of the sitting room in Sagebrush Inn -- south of town -- in about 1968. I'm not sure of the date. We used to stay there a lot in those days. It was relatively inexpensive and it had Navajo rugs in the rooms that were worth a small fortune even then. It gradually went downhill and then sold. It's a completely different place nowadays. Later we'd stay at an art gallery and hotel not far north of Taos Inn -- whose name I've forgotten, and which nowadays is a condo.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 04:52:32 pm »

I've stayed at The Sagebrush a few times in the early 2000's. I think the rugs were still there but it seemed to be on the decline.
I've also enjoyed the Taos Inn, La Fonda, La Vida Buena, The Casitas, Desert Oaks, and a few different VRBOs.
The company likes to put us at the El Pueblo Lodge these days which is ok. The sign is probably the best part. :)
-MattB

John R

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 08:06:35 pm »

You two certainly make the place come alive. Wonderful images. Have to visit it some day.

JR

RSL

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 07:33:34 am »

Hi Matt, I doubt the original rugs are still there. They were selling them off as the hotel went downhill in the late seventies. Last time we stayed there the place had become a sort of hippy flop house.

I finally remembered the other place we settled on and used many times after we gave up on the Sagebrush. It was Fechin Inn. It's been converted to condos now, but if you Google it you can still see something of what it was like when it was a museum and hotel. Nicolai Fechin was an artist who started the Taos Art Museum. The museum was attached to the hotel. Don't know whether or not the museum is still there. Once Fechin Inn closed down we started staying at Taos Inn.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 11:22:30 am »

Hi Matt, I doubt the original rugs are still there. They were selling them off as the hotel went downhill in the late seventies. Last time we stayed there the place had become a sort of hippy flop house.

I finally remembered the other place we settled on and used many times after we gave up on the Sagebrush. It was Fechin Inn. It's been converted to condos now, but if you Google it you can still see something of what it was like when it was a museum and hotel. Nicolai Fechin was an artist who started the Taos Art Museum. The museum was attached to the hotel. Don't know whether or not the museum is still there. Once Fechin Inn closed down we started staying at Taos Inn.

They must have been reproductions then. It was pretty "Southwest Decay" themed when I stayed there. :)
I know I have heard of the Fetchin Inn, maybe seen a sign or something, but haven't visited.
The gallery photos in my post above were from The Harwood which we use as a conference space for work. It's about a block from the office.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up