Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 24TS-E shows as 17 TS-E in metadata  (Read 2838 times)

paulgrundy

Canon 24TS-E shows as 17 TS-E in metadata
« on: December 21, 2016, 08:08:40 am »

I recently had a 24TS-E mk2 repaired by Canon CPS here in London.  They replaced the shift unit.

A fast 3 day turn around, but I have noticed that in the metadata the lens is now shown as a 17 TS-E. I have tried it on 2 bodies, I Sony, 1 Canon with the same result.

The bottom section of the 2 lenses look identical apart from the lens name plate.  And it works fine. I am guessing that the same shift unit is used for both lenses?

Is there anything I should be worried about?

I am calling in at Canon tomorrow so I'll ask them but just thought I would see if anyone else here has had a similar experience.

Merry Christmas,

Paul

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Canon 24TS-E shows as 17 TS-E in metadata
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 09:34:08 am »

Only issue I would consider is that the built in lens corrections between the two would be a bit different, distortion, vignetting.  I assume that ACR/LR C1 are reading the metadata of the file to apply the appropriate correction.

Interesting issue. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 12:26:55 am »

There's no built-in lens correction for the TS-E lenses. That's  their one big weakness.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 12:49:52 am »

Hi,

My guess is that there are two reasons:

• The lenses are pretty well corrected
  • The software correction would need shift and tilt info. I don't know if say Lightroom could use that. Hasselblad has such corrections when used with the HTS, so it is obviously a preactical method.

Best regards
Erik

There's no built-in lens correction for the TS-E lenses. That's  their one big weakness.
Erik Kaffehr

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 01:28:52 am »

Hi,

My guess is that there are two reasons:

• The lenses are pretty well corrected
  • The software correction would need shift and tilt info. I don't know if say Lightroom could use that. Hasselblad has such corrections when used with the HTS, so it is obviously a preactical method.

Best regards
Erik

There's no reason a profile couldn't be built, even if it needed manual input of tilt/shift data.

There is still significant lateral CA which needs to be corrected at large shifts. It's a complex distortion, not a linear one, so the default Photoshop tools don't work very well for this - a profile would be much better.

Regardless, the lack of lens corrections means that the incorrect metadata has no practical effect.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 07:45:18 am »

That's just a pain, I would have Canon correct it.  It's a simple lens firmware flashing process which only they can do - somebody screwed up on their end.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 08:02:36 am »

That's just a pain, I would have Canon correct it.  It's a simple lens firmware flashing process which only they can do - somebody screwed up on their end.

+1

Wrong lens metadata can interfere with other processes as well, it sounds like a wrong firmware was flashed, a SNAFU at their end.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 03:51:24 pm »

The lens is now back with Canon.

I said in my first post it worked fine but I have since shot a test, stitching 3 images together and it came out with a noticeable amount of pin cushion -an issue I have not had before with this lens.

Hi Paul,

My copy of that lens is virtually distortion free. So I would indeed not accept a lens with noticeable distortion (unless a stitching issue), especially if it was better before having it serviced. And the EXIF issue clearly indicates something was rotten in that department anyway.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up