Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture 1 and QImage advice appreciated  (Read 3043 times)

myotis

Capture 1 and QImage advice appreciated
« on: December 20, 2016, 02:08:40 am »

I am hoping to have a try using QImage over the Christmas break, I only have a low cost Epson A4 "photo" printer but its OK.

I use C1 on a Mac and I have QImage on a Windows laptop connected to the printer.

I wondered if any one has some tips for how best prepare the image in C1 before moving to QImage, for example should I leave all the sharpening and noise reduction to QImage?

Related to this, I have some professional made custom printer profiles for this printer, printing from the Mac, I assume that these won't work with QImage and Windows,

Anything that would kick start my trial would be very useful.   

Thanks,

Graham

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Capture 1 and QImage advice appreciated
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 06:57:56 am »

I am hoping to have a try using QImage over the Christmas break, I only have a low cost Epson A4 "photo" printer but its OK.

I use C1 on a Mac and I have QImage on a Windows laptop connected to the printer.

I wondered if any one has some tips for how best prepare the image in C1 before moving to QImage, for example should I leave all the sharpening and noise reduction to QImage?

Hi Graham,

The normal way of using Qimage is to present it (through its browser) with files that are already optimized (noise-reduction / sharpening / etc.), typically TIFFs, and that are at their native size (as they came out of the Raw converter or camera). Qimage will then take care of the resampling to output size, and do Smart output sharpening. It will try to maintain the original input quality and transfer that to the output, regardless of the output size(s).

Besides that, Qimage also offers Photo-editing capabilities and even a Rawconverter. So those are great for someone who doesn't have the other Raw converters or Photo-editors, or just for last minute fixes, which can be applied as non-destructive filters.

Related to this, I have some professional made custom printer profiles for this printer, printing from the Mac, I assume that these won't work with QImage and Windows,

Qimage is fully color managed and it will use whatever profile you tell it to use, and it converts from the input profile that was embedded in the image metadata to the output profile for the specific printer and media combination you use. You can also have it assign a profile first if there is nothing embedded. Display previews are of course managed with your display profile.

Anything that would kick start my trial would be very useful.

I've always found the "Learn-by-Example" procedure descriptions very helpful, but there are also lots of tutorial videos available (also on Youtube). It's probably best to start with those videos and then after getting a bit familiarized with the program look at the Learn-by-Examples. Inside the application, there are also small link icons that lead to specific video explanations for the specific feature you are looking at. The help is available as a PDF but can also be accessed on-line, so it can even be studied before installing the application or from a computer that does not have Qimage installed (yet).

By familiarizing yourself with the program through videos first, you can optimize your trial period, because you already have an idea what to expect and where to look.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

roscoetuff

• Skip Mersereau
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 09:08:39 am »

Graham: I'm using CaptureOne ver 10... and ImagePrint, not QImage. C1-10 has a "Proofing" feature now that helps set the image for printing. Then define a "process recipe" (found under the "gear" icon in C1-10) to produce a TIFF. I've set my "Basic" settings under the recipe to TIFF, 16-bit, ICC Profile: Adobe RGB (1998) and the resolution to 720 px/in; Scale is Fixed 100%. YMMV, but this works for me so far. Give it a shot.
"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer

myotis

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 01:05:21 pm »

The normal way of using Qimage is to present it (through its browser) with files that are already optimized (noise-reduction / sharpening / etc.), typically TIFFs, and that are at their native size (as they came out of the Raw converter or camera). Qimage will then take care of the resampling to output size, and do Smart output sharpening. It will try to maintain the original input quality and transfer that to the output, regardless of the output size(s).

Qimage is fully color managed and it will use whatever profile you tell it to use, and it converts from the input profile that was embedded in the image metadata to the output profile for the specific printer and media combination you use. You can also have it assign a profile first if there is nothing embedded. Display previews are of course managed with your display profile.

Thanks Bart, that answers my key question on how far I need to get the TIFF prepared before sending to QImage.

Still not sure about the printer profile, probably because I don't fully understand how it works. In answer to my question on this, you seem to be suggesting that printer profile just matches paper and printer combination, and it doesn't matter that the calibration print used to make the profile was generated by my Mac rather than the PC that I will be printing from. Is that right, or am I misunderstanding. Windows PC (laptop) and Mac displays are both calibrated.

I have watched the videos you have pointed me to, and indeed I used QImage years and years ago, when I also used it as a raw processor, but then moved to Macs and abandoned it. But, I think I will be needing to watch them again !

Its largely because of your comments here that have persuaded me to "buy" a new license for it (by trial, I actually meant be trialling a workflow, rather than the QImage trial version - sorry, I realise that was confusing).

Cheers,
Graham

myotis

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:07:56 pm »

Graham: I'm using CaptureOne ver 10... and ImagePrint, not QImage. C1-10 has a "Proofing" feature now that helps set the image for printing. Then define a "process recipe" (found under the "gear" icon in C1-10) to produce a TIFF. I've set my "Basic" settings under the recipe to TIFF, 16-bit, ICC Profile: Adobe RGB (1998) and the resolution to 720 px/in; Scale is Fixed 100%. YMMV, but this works for me so far. Give it a shot.

Thanks, like Barts reply, that is useful in letting me know how much I need to do in C1 before moving across to QImage.   This will give me a good start.

Cheers,

Graham

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 05:21:33 pm »

Still not sure about the printer profile, probably because I don't fully understand how it works. In answer to my question on this, you seem to be suggesting that printer profile just matches paper and printer combination, and it doesn't matter that the calibration print used to make the profile was generated by my Mac rather than the PC that I will be printing from. Is that right, or am I misunderstanding. Windows PC (laptop) and Mac displays are both calibrated.

If it's an ICC profile, it should be possible to copy it to the Windows machine, to the subdirectory/folder with the other profiles (C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\). You then follow the instructions for setting up the correct printer driver parameters. There's a video about that here.

Cheers,
Bart

myotis

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 05:47:09 pm »

If it's an ICC profile, it should be possible to copy it to the Windows machine, to the subdirectory/folder with the other profiles (C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\).

Yes they are ICC profiles, so I will just copy them across as you suggest.

Thanks,

Graham

FrankStark

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 07:01:01 pm »

I am in the same place, just waiting to bet Parallels installed on my Mac before I use QImage Ultimate. 

Bart: Your response was also perfect for me where I am right now.

Roscoetuff: I found your reply interesting as well, but I have a question. Why 720 px/inch rather than 360 or 300? What size are you printing at?

Thanks

F.
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin

FrankStark

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 11:32:20 am »

Another questio or two (beside the px for the image to be printed.

If I run QU on a mac with parallels, I assume I need to install my Epson P800 printer through the Windows that QU is running on.

(Have now installed Parallels, but now need an Windows operating system. Had a copy of Windows & around but it won't recognize the product key. )

Can I specific print size in inches in QU, and let it do the work?

Thanks

F.
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 04:48:57 pm »

Another questio or two (beside the px for the image to be printed.

If I run QU on a mac with parallels, I assume I need to install my Epson P800 printer through the Windows that QU is running on.

Correct, the Windows version of the driver is what Qimage is going to use.

Can I specific print size in inches in QU, and let it do the work?

Yes, that's the idea. You setup (once) the paper and ink and profile settings, and ask Qimage to print a certain output size (you select the size from a list of options, in metric or imperial units) of an image on that paper. It will show a preview with the positioning, and with information about exact output size and resulting PPI.

Cheers,
Bart

FrankStark

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 06:29:44 pm »

Thank you.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up