Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rain cover?  (Read 6450 times)

Brookie

Rain cover?
« on: December 19, 2016, 10:27:41 pm »

Has anyone found a rain cover that is practical to use with a camera and wide angle prime lenses?  In my case I am talking about a Nikon D750 with L-bracket and 20mm to 105mm prime lenses. I've seen plenty of nice rain covers for use with large telephoto lenses for wildlife and even medium telephotos and zooms with a lens foot attached to the tripod head. But I have not seen what looks like a workable solution for the landscape photographer with the camera body mounted to the tripod head (instead of a lens foot). If you've found something you have used and been happy with I'd sure like to hear about it.
Happy Holidays!

BrownBear

Re: Rain cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 07:08:29 am »

Kind of redneck looking but versatile and highly functional:

We carry 2-gallon ziplocs (the jumbo size in some brands) along with rubber bands. Cut one corner from the bag, slip it over the camera with the lens out the hole and use a rubber band to secure the bag to the lens hood. The 2-gallon size is plenty big to allow your hands in for operation. I've used them on lenses out to 80-200 zooms. In between shots, zip the bag closed, even on a tripod. A box of 10 or so cost less than a premium coffee, and you can always have a few rolled up in a camera bag for emergencies. Even handy for full camera protection in heavy rain if you don't cut the hole in a corner. The bags come into their own too, for protecting cold cameras from condensation when you return from the cold to a warm house or car.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:50:06 am by BrownBear »

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 11:17:51 am »

Has anyone found a rain cover that is practical to use with a camera and wide angle prime lenses?

http://www.henrys.com/94686-OPTECH-RAINSLEEVE-MEGA-SMALL-8-.aspx

Cheap, easy to use, and also protects against blowing sand.

stever

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 10:32:20 pm »

i tried a couple of the more elaborate rain covers and found them too bulky to carry and awkward to use.  Very happy with the Optech covers.

Brookie

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 06:21:07 pm »

Thanks guys, Happy Holidays!

Jim Metzger

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 11:05:09 pm »

If you are still looking, Storm Jacket (storm jacket.com) is really good. A heavy duty nylon version of the plastic covers. I never got on well with Optech due to the attachment to the eyepiece of the camera.

Jim

Brookie

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 02:38:28 pm »

Thanks Jim. Yeah, I'm still looking. Have you had good luck with a StormJacket and small primes (rather than teles), mounted on a tripod with a body L-plate? 
Merry Christmas to all!

Jim Metzger

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 06:47:19 pm »

The only prime I shoot with is an 85 1.8 and this works well. The 17-35 gets a little "bunched up" but the 28-70 and 70-200 work just fine. I use an "L" plate but I tend to use this cover handheld.

Happy Holidays

jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up