Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the X1D really shipping?????  (Read 20868 times)

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2017, 08:49:07 am »

What lens did you get with it?

I have all three initial lenses - XCD 90mm, XCD 45mm and XCD 30mm. I've tested the 90mm and 45mm and they both are stellar, the 90mm perhaps being the best 90mm I've ever used.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2017, 08:52:41 am »

Thanks.  The 90 and the 30 are what I have on order.

Currently shooting the H5D 50c WiFi with 28 and 100.
I love the H5D, but just need to reduce the weight in my camera pack by nearly 5 pounds!

I'm ready!

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2017, 09:34:47 am »

In short, I love it. I've posted some first impressions here. More first impressions from another [lucky] user here.

Contact me if you have specific questions.

Joe

Sony CMOS  sensors seems to be the best thing which ever happened to medium format digital!
Companies now design cameras again rather than housings for electronic boards.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2017, 03:00:01 pm »

That is a nice was to think about it, and I believe your comment is valid.
Now, who will be the one to design the compilation of camera, lenses and support to capture the markets interest that manifests in real sales?

Will be interesting to watch, and participate in.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2017, 05:49:20 pm »

As i read; the shutter lag is the achilles heel of this camera.
That is pity for it should be the easy move around- candid MF; and it is not suited for it.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2017, 05:55:13 pm »

That is pity for it should be the easy move around- candid MF; and it is not suited for it.

I disagree and I now shoot with an X1D. The "shutter lag" is perceptible but not a deal breaker for walk-around casual use. Way overblown. YMMV

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2017, 06:12:26 pm »

Joe, I shoot mainly landscapes and there are many times I have the camera set up and ready to click while I wait for the clouds, wind to stop, etc.
This can be several minutes that I have the camera ready and charged so to say.

What about the comment on another post that it is "hot" regarding heat generation, and I guess also battery drain?

Jack

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2017, 07:52:18 pm »

Joe, I shoot mainly landscapes and there are many times I have the camera set up and ready to click while I wait for the clouds, wind to stop, etc.
This can be several minutes that I have the camera ready and charged so to say.

Me too. I often do the same.

What about the comment on another post that it is "hot" regarding heat generation, and I guess also battery drain?

Jack

The base of the camera gets warm, acting as a heat sink for such a dense electronic device. The camera goes into a standby/sleep mode after a user-selectable time and the power drain is greatly reduced. It "wakes up" quickly and is ready to shoot with a half-press of the shutter release button. No worries.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2017, 08:35:27 pm »

I don’t agree with those who want to paint the X1D as just a rich-folks toy, good only to show off and to get attention. And there is also the theme that neither the GFX nor the X1D are “really” MF camera, because their sensors are two small.
For me, these kind of comments are not helpful. At this point, I am not a fanboy of either camera, but I do have to make a choice, and soon.

And I do see real differences between the two cameras, and find they appeal to two different parts of me. After many years of carrying around a large DSLR, tons of lenses, biggish tripod, bellows, and on and on, there is a part of me that yearns to have a smallish camera, but one more capable than what I have now (D810), one with just a handful of lenses, perhaps three or four, tops. With that, I would spend more time just taking photos, and less endless experimenting, kibitzing about lenses and the like. That, of course, dictates the X1D.

On the hand, there is a part of me, and a strong part that, perhaps due to Nikon’s failure to offer me a significant upgrade to my D810, wants to forge a future from my current past, and extend my penchant for a plethora of lenses, a larger sensor, etc. In other words, continue on the gearhead track I have been on for many years. That would be the GFX.

The gearhead in me can clearly see that the GFX is by far the most forward-looking gear, period, with the exception perhaps of color. I have seen lots of Hasselblad’s output (and like it), but I have not seen enough of the Fuji output to make sure it does not subtly irritate me and make my processing more difficult.

So, there are two trains running, as we say, and I can’t afford to ride them both, so I have to choose one, and soon... or go to the back of the line, which for the X1D could be another year. I have already waited over six months for the X1D, so I don’t much like the feeling of doing that for another year.

Bottom line is that I feel I should get the GFX, for practical reasons, but I also so appreciate the minimalist approach, haptics, and form factor of the X1D, that part of me would welcome the simplicity of that approach, unless of course it is a dud. Yet, Ming Thein has already made it clear that, for him, it is not.

So, forgive these more prosaic (and less technical) comments. I appreciate all that is posted here, and it sounds like very soon the few raindrops of actual experience with these cameras that exist now will become a torrent of experience, and we will have to find another topic to become enthused about.

Please keep that experience coming!
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2017, 09:01:26 pm »

So, forgive these more prosaic (and less technical) comments. I appreciate all that is posted here, and it sounds like very soon the few raindrops of actual experience with these cameras that exist now will become a torrent of experience, and we will have to find another topic to become enthused about.

Please keep that experience coming!

Michael, we're all gearheads at heart. No forgiveness necessary. We're fortunate to have choices that are as attractive as the X1D and GFX. Both will be in reviewers' hands in late February-early March and we'll all know more about the two. If you're uncertain, wait until you can handle and shoot both. Making a hasty decision just because of availability could lead to second-guessing and disappointment. I bought the X1D for a specific set of reasons, and believe me when I say it's not "just a rich-folks toy".

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2017, 09:09:40 pm »

Michael, we're all gearheads at heart. No forgiveness necessary. We're fortunate to have choices that are as attractive as the X1D and GFX. Both will be in reviewers' hands in late February-early March and we'll all know more about the two. If you're uncertain, wait until you can handle and shoot both. Making a hasty decision just because of availability could lead to second-guessing and disappointment. I bought the X1D for a specific set of reasons, and believe me when I say it's not "just a rich-folks toy".

Well, I may get the X1D and if I don't like it after extended use, i (gulp) will sell it and probably have enough money to buy the GFX. It's only money! Time is more precious.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 09:18:57 pm by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

NickT

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2017, 09:52:59 pm »

I'm still waiting for my X1D to arrive but I haven't forgotten how felt in hand, like a camera. For me that's an important part of the experience that I don't get from some of the other cameras that I use.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2017, 10:29:11 pm »

I would be interested in hearing any statements based on actual fact and experience regarding:  Quality of the glass in resolving, detail, etc between what I could put on the face of the Fuji GXF505 verse the X1D.  I'm particularly interested in wide angle.

I shoot the 28 and 100 Hassies on my H5D-50c WiFi but have never shot with Fuji branded glass.

Jack

hubell

« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2017, 10:36:49 pm »

I'm still waiting for my X1D to arrive but I haven't forgotten how felt in hand, like a camera. For me that's an important part of the experience that I don't get from some of the other cameras that I use.

I have to agree with Nick. My X1D arrived today unexpectedly. Forget how good it looks. One can discount good looks. Far more significant is that I have never picked up a camera that falls to the hand more perfectly.  I am just astonished at how well it handles. I look forward to testing it operationally.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2017, 10:40:48 pm »

I love the look of the first samples shot with the 90mm, sounds like a wonderful lens.

Cheers,
Bernard

hubell

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2017, 11:13:04 pm »

I am cross posting this from another forum as it is relevant to your concern:

I just mounted a Nikon SB-700 on the X1D I received today and set the flash to manual and the exposure on manual. When I depressed the shutter button, I heard a click and the flash fired immediately. There did not appear to be any lag in the firing of the flash, and the exposure taken by the camera certainly reflected the lighting from the flash. Now, after the initial click when the shutter is depressed and the flash fires, there is a quick second click and then a third click. I don't know exactly what the second and third clicks are about, but it certainly seems to me that, if the flash is firing immediately when the shutter is depressed, any shutter lag on the X1D is pretty imperceptible.

I am not a flash guy, so anyone who does understand flash, please feel free to tell me this little test is flawed if in fact it is.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2017, 04:49:38 am »

I have all three initial lenses - XCD 90mm, XCD 45mm and XCD 30mm.

Curious to get your opinion of the 30mm also.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up