Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the X1D really shipping?????  (Read 20863 times)

etto1972

Is the X1D really shipping?????
« on: December 19, 2016, 02:05:25 pm »

As we all know Hasselblad, CEO told Kevin Rabar
that the camera started shipping to customers on December 12th
Do you guys heard anything?? Is it really shipping???
is this a little lie or perhaps one more innacurate date?

I am the stupid fellow which sold most of his gears in order to buy the X1D...I am now travelling around Europe with no serious camera in my hand
and with an horrible regretting feeling...
yes, maybe I should have wait before selling but you guys know that with the used market, timing is crucial to get the best possible price !

I am sorry for being so negative during the holiday season
but I am just depressed not knowing anything , loosing trust, ....especially considering that for the 4116 edition (which is the camera i ordered the very hour was on sale ) Hasselblad doesnt even give a date

Merry Christmas

ddanois

Re: Is the X1D really shipping?????
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:31:58 pm »

It looks like they shipped a couple of cameras to make good on the statement but there are no significant deliveries. I am among the top three at a major dealer and they report no camera deliveries as of today. Best estimate is mid-Jan to early Feb.

Beyond disappointing at this point but it looks a though we will be within the GFX delivery window by the time the X1D ships in any real significant numbers so we'll have choices and can vote our preference with our wallets!

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 03:47:03 pm »

Hasselblad's customers should have never been treated this way. What troubles me most is the lack of transparency by Perry Osting or a company representative. They need to be here, and updating these fine folks about what is going on, and when they can expect their orders to be fufilled. This is frickin' ridiculous.

No way to run a business...

Fuji is going to kick Hasselblad's ass in this market witht the GFX, because if there is one thing Fuji can do...it's EXECUTE.

hubell

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 06:10:37 pm »

Hasselblad's customers should have never been treated this way. What troubles me most is the lack of transparency by Perry Osting or a company representative. They need to be here, and updating these fine folks about what is going on, and when they can expect their orders to be fufilled. This is frickin' ridiculous.

No way to run a business...

Fuji is going to kick Hasselblad's ass in this market witht the GFX, because if there is one thing Fuji can do...it's EXECUTE.

I don't think you are a Hasselblad customer yourself, so it's really WEIRD for you to be rushing to the defense of the real customers....getting all up in an arms about a camera you have no interest in. Hmmm. You wouldn't happen to be a loyal member of the Fuji fan club?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 06:43:13 pm »

I don't think you are a Hasselblad customer yourself, so it's really WEIRD for you to be rushing to the defense of the real customers....getting all up in an arms about a camera you have no interest in. Hmmm. You wouldn't happen to be a loyal member of the Fuji fan club?

There are now two new MF designs, which should be delivered to customers roughly at the same time. How lovely!

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

mtakeda

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 07:00:08 pm »

I second the statement by Mr. Scharf 100%. I had preorder with them and was treated very poorly. They screwed up laughing badly and continue to screw up by keeping silence to their customers.

hubell

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 07:05:47 pm »

There are now two new MF designs, which should be delivered to customers roughly at the same time. How lovely!

Edmund

Two potentially great choices. Each, in its own way, has features that may make one or the other compelling to a potential buyer. For many potential buyers, the size, weight, and design of the X1D body will trump things like a focal plane shutter and the ability to adapt third party lenses. Others will presumably feel differently. Available software choices may be a factor. Phocus v. Silkypix. Lens lineups, who knows. They will offer very different handling experiences. Some may like the GUI of the X1D, some may like the GUI of Japanese cameras. Hopefully, both Hasselblad and Fuji sell huge numbers of them so they can justify the future R&D for improving them over time.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 08:52:10 pm »

I have had an X1D on order for many months. I keep kicking the can down the road on various shoots I had planned to go with the system. Now it looks like we are into January and perhaps February. I, for one, will think long and hard should the Fuji GFX just show up and be available. My complaint, again, is that I believe that Hassleblad  said (one again) that they would ship and if they only sent a few out as a promissory note, that is not funny. Shipping to me means that B&H starts to ship to their customers and lets us know things are happening. Things are not happening to my knowledge. 
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

hubell

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 09:52:26 pm »

I have had an X1D on order for many months. I keep kicking the can down the road on various shoots I had planned to go with the system. Now it looks like we are into January and perhaps February. I, for one, will think long and hard should the Fuji GFX just show up and be available. My complaint, again, is that I believe that Hassleblad  said (one again) that they would ship and if they only sent a few out as a promissory note, that is not funny. Shipping to me means that B&H starts to ship to their customers and lets us know things are happening. Things are not happening to my knowledge.

I understand the frustration. However, even if the GFX shows up around the same time as the X1D, the X1D may still be by far and away the better the choice for you and your needs. These two cameras have very different strengths and weaknesses. Whatever your feelings about the delivery timetable on the X1D and the way Hasselblad has handled it, you should still be dispassionate and buy what works best for you. In my case, I just need to pick up and handle the X1D and compare it to the GFX. For what I want in a medium format system at this point, that tells me ALMOST everything.

hubell

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 09:55:15 pm »

[quote author=mtakeda link=topic=115155.msg949620#msg949620 date=1482278408
 I had preorder with them and was treated very poorly. They screwed up laughing badly and continue to screw up by keeping silence to their customers.
[/quote]

Your "issues" appear to go way beyond a new camera that was delayed.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 09:59:30 pm »

I understand the frustration. However, even if the GFX shows up around the same time as the X1D, the X1D may still be by far and away the better the choice for you and your needs. These two cameras have very different strengths and weaknesses. Whatever your feelings about the delivery timetable on the X1D and the way Hasselblad has handled it, you should still be dispassionate and buy what works best for you. In my case, I just need to pick up and handle the X1D and compare it to the GFX. For what I want in a medium format system at this point, that tells me ALMOST everything.

My gut tells me I will really like the X1D, but that does not stop me from every once in a while sticking my head out the window and yelling "I can't take it anymore." LOL. I am clear that the GFX will do more and be more compatible, but not sure (right now) I want to do anything "more."
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

JeffS

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 11:19:28 pm »

FWIW, the Hasselblad CEO did formally apologize and has agreed to extend the X1D warranty 6 months for anyone who pre-ordered this year.  That won't help the haters, but not all companies are run by execs who step up and admit wrongs.

I'm in no rush (current gear still takes pictures) and will test the X1D, GFX and Leica SL in due time.  That will include shooting and making prints with my own workflow, then evaluating based on a long list of my own needs/preferences......not spite.

Jeff

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 01:18:52 am »

Doesn't matter if I am a Hasselblad customer or not. What matters is that I make my living teaching and facilitating teams in a business best practice known as  Voice of the Customer for product development for technology companies. My views and sensibilities expressed here are strictly from a professional perspective and are borne out of respect for Hasselblad's customers, and the respect and transparency that they should be showed by Hasselblad. So, no, it is not weird that I am rushing to the defense of customers. What I get up in arms about is companies that take advantage of or treat customers badly. From a professional perspective, Hasselblad over-promised and has, and continues to, under-deliver. This is unacceptable. To make matters worse, they have not been forthcoming, honest, or transparent about this in their communication with their customers.Timelines have continually slipped, and customers are not receiving the products they ordered in the time-frame Hasselblad stated they would and Hasselblad says nothing. They are exhibiting exactly the set of behaviors by that I teach that companies should not do in developing their products. Practicing Voice of the Customer means above all: 1) RESPECT FOR THE CUSTOMER; 2) listening to and honoring your customers needs as being valid, despite what the company may think internally 3) being honest and accountable in how you go about understanding and delivering on your promise to meet customer's needs and 4) following through on that implicit promise by delivering products that create quality and value. And in the process, they need to be transparent, open, and most importantly, *in touch* with their customers. Hasselblad has done none of this, at least not here. Where are they? Are they here? No, they are not.

Fuji on the other hand, embodies the best VOC principles, has a vigorous and robust VOC process for developing products that provide value and quality, and...continue to support their customers after the sale with a robust Kaizen approach to continuous improvement, continually striving to provide more and more quality and value to their customers that actually bought their products. They have, for example, released firmware updates on more than one occasion that increases the functionality of cameras that are discontinued and out of production, to continue to support their existing customers. They have acknowledged that they were under no obligation to do so for cameras that are out of production, but they have stated they did so because they wanted to and they knew it was the right thing to do. Name me another camera company that has done that as consistently as Fuji has.

Yes, I admire Fuji. They produce exceptional products that provide value and quality for customers. They continue to improve that quality by practicing Kaizen, one of the key principles of Shingo. They actually listen to customers, and more importantly, they ACT on what they hear to make their products better and better. They create a fully thought-through and meaningful product development strategy (contrast that to Sony, whose product strategy is a mish-mash at best), they publish lens roadmaps and most importantly, they follow through on them in the time frame that they say they would. Lastly, they actually do what they say they are going to do. None of which I have seen from Hasselblad regarding the X1D,  how it treats customers, or more importantly, how it is communicating with its customers who actually placed orders for the X1D.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 01:25:55 am by Stephen Scharf »

hubell

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 08:03:16 am »

Doesn't matter if I am a Hasselblad customer or not. What matters is that I make my living teaching and facilitating teams in a business best practice known as  Voice of the Customer for product development for technology companies. My views and sensibilities expressed here are strictly from a professional perspective and are borne out of respect for Hasselblad's customers, and the respect and transparency that they should be showed by Hasselblad. So, no, it is not weird that I am rushing to the defense of customers. What I get up in arms about is companies that take advantage of or treat customers badly. From a professional perspective, Hasselblad over-promised and has, and continues to, under-deliver. This is unacceptable. To make matters worse, they have not been forthcoming, honest, or transparent about this in their communication with their customers.Timelines have continually slipped, and customers are not receiving the products they ordered in the time-frame Hasselblad stated they would and Hasselblad says nothing. They are exhibiting exactly the set of behaviors by that I teach that companies should not do in developing their products. Practicing Voice of the Customer means above all: 1) RESPECT FOR THE CUSTOMER; 2) listening to and honoring your customers needs as being valid, despite what the company may think internally 3) being honest and accountable in how you go about understanding and delivering on your promise to meet customer's needs and 4) following through on that implicit promise by delivering products that create quality and value. And in the process, they need to be transparent, open, and most importantly, *in touch* with their customers. Hasselblad has done none of this, at least not here. Where are they? Are they here? No, they are not.

Fuji on the other hand, embodies the best VOC principles, has a vigorous and robust VOC process for developing products that provide value and quality, and...continue to support their customers after the sale with a robust Kaizen approach to continuous improvement, continually striving to provide more and more quality and value to their customers that actually bought their products. They have, for example, released firmware updates on more than one occasion that increases the functionality of cameras that are discontinued and out of production, to continue to support their existing customers. They have acknowledged that they were under no obligation to do so for cameras that are out of production, but they have stated they did so because they wanted to and they knew it was the right thing to do. Name me another camera company that has done that as consistently as Fuji has.

Yes, I admire Fuji. They produce exceptional products that provide value and quality for customers. They continue to improve that quality by practicing Kaizen, one of the key principles of Shingo. They actually listen to customers, and more importantly, they ACT on what they hear to make their products better and better. They create a fully thought-through and meaningful product development strategy (contrast that to Sony, whose product strategy is a mish-mash at best), they publish lens roadmaps and most importantly, they follow through on them in the time frame that they say they would. Lastly, they actually do what they say they are going to do. None of which I have seen from Hasselblad regarding the X1D,  how it treats customers, or more importantly, how it is communicating with its customers who actually placed orders for the X1D.

Thanks for confirming that you are a member of the Fuji fan club. Of course, you left out that you own Fuji cameras and have openly gushed about them here. Somehow I suspect that if Fuji had not also announced a camera that many see as directly competitive with Hasselblad's X1D, you wouldn't be involved here at all. This is the worst part of the internet. Fanboy wars. My interests here are much more pedestrian. I am interested in a great camera, and I care little about who makes it. I care even less about lecturing companies on the internet about their strengths and weaknesses, their successes and their failures, if I don't own and use their products and their actions have not directly affected me. Every person, every company, has a balance sheet of plusses and minuses. We all evaluate and prioritize them differently. Hasselblad and Fuji are two examples. You focused only on Hasselblad's missing a number of deadlines in shipping the X1D to customers. Fuji MAY very well deliver the GFX early in 2017, as promised. Good for Fuji. On the other hand, at the end of the day, there are other, far more important considerations to people who will actually use these cameras. The X1D is an absolutely beautifully designed camera. It is amazingly small and well crafted. Its form factor and user interface are truly ground breaking. By comparison, the Fuji GFX looks like a Model T Ford designed in the middle part of the last century. I give Hasselblad a failing grade for timely delivery of the X1D. I give them an A+ for product design. We will see about Fuji's grade on delivery schedules. On product design and innovation and user interface, I give them a C- or D.
As for Hasselblad failing to communicate with its customers who preordered the X1D, perhaps you missed Kevin Raber's interview with the CEO of Hasselblad here on LuLa last Monday, where the CEP personally apologized about the delays. That's far more than I am used to seeing from other CEOs in the camera industry. By contrast, I saw the interview with two guys from Fuji about the GFX. They were about as forthcoming as two guys at a police station who had just been read their Miranda rights. I learned nothing.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 08:13:03 am »

Fanboy = Anti-fanboy

To me, those of us who actually skin in the game are like a line of folks (in cold weather) waiting for the gates to open at a football game.  We are just kibitzing and trying to pass the time.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:19:46 am by Michael Erlewine »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 09:30:09 am »

Well it's nice to see some movement in the MF system world again.

More new adopters and more systems will mean more announcements, better component supplies etc.

I'm not sure that the Sony chip supply is available yet, at least in quantity at a reasonable price,  after their earthquake issues their own camera release schedule seems skewed.

Edmund

Fanboy = Anti-fanboy

To me, those of us who actually skin in the game are like a line of folks (in cold weather) waiting for the gates to open at a football game.  We are just kibitzing and trying to pass the time.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

vampire

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 10:37:23 am »

Until Fuji gives an actual price, as in hard numbers, its hard to get too excited about that camera. It should not be that hard to figure out that information if you are far enough along in the development process to release in the spring. People are assuming that it will be released in Feb/March, but I still have seen any hard numbers for pricing. Hopefully they can get it out then, I'm all for having two great mirror less MF affordable solutions. But the pricing info would be helpful for people.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 11:47:54 am »

At the end of the day, if we actually have a use and need, we probably already have a tool that gets the job done.  If a new tool comes out, that is great.  And when it is ready, if it integrates into our work and improves or enhances our productivity or output, fantastic.  I don't think there is a product that is unreleased that prevents us from doing anything. 

All this talk about pre-orders, and late deliveries, and firmware updates, and this and that...makes me think a lot of people create photos on speculatory equipment. (if there was ever such a thing!)

Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 03:07:04 pm »

Hi Edmund,

Pentax 645Z, Hasselblad's 50 MP backs, IQ350 and IQ150 also uses the same sensor. I don't know about the sales of those systems.

My guess would be that the delay is mostly caused by firmware development issues and power/heat management.

Best regards
Erik

Well it's nice to see some movement in the MF system world again.

More new adopters and more systems will mean more announcements, better component supplies etc.

I'm not sure that the Sony chip supply is available yet, at least in quantity at a reasonable price,  after their earthquake issues their own camera release schedule seems skewed.

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

chez

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 08:06:53 pm »

FWIW, the Hasselblad CEO did formally apologize and has agreed to extend the X1D warranty 6 months for anyone who pre-ordered this year.  That won't help the haters, but not all companies are run by execs who step up and admit wrongs.

I'm in no rush (current gear still takes pictures) and will test the X1D, GFX and Leica SL in due time.  That will include shooting and making prints with my own workflow, then evaluating based on a long list of my own needs/preferences......not spite.

Jeff

Excellent post. I can't believe one would pick up the GFX because the X1D is late. I would hope people are purchasing a full system for the future...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up