Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr Slideshow Module - Export Video  (Read 3754 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Lr Slideshow Module - Export Video
« on: December 19, 2016, 07:38:33 am »

I need to make a slide show that I can present without having a copy of Lr. I chose to save the slide show as a video so that I could just run it on any device that can run an mp4 file. I can create a 720p video without any problem but the image quality is poor when the show is presented at full screen size. If I choose the 1080p setting, the export operation in Lr hangs and the video is never created. I even let Lr run all night just to prove that I was not being impatient - I know video coding can be time consuming. I am running Lr CC 2015.8 on a Windows 10 PC.

Have others had this issue? Is there a resolution in Lr?

If there is no obvious fix to this, has anyone found a quick and easy way to export all the photos into a PowerPoint presentation?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lr Slideshow Module - Export Video
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 07:49:39 am »

Exporting video can produce a big file as it will include transition effects in video format.

Why not export it as a PDF? This should run on any computer.

Alternatively, hold down Alt and the Export PDF button becomes Export JPEG, which you could bring into Powerpoint.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:59:28 am by john beardsworth »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 08:46:14 am »

I've converted LR slideshows into PDF slideshows and made presentations with them on a computer without LR installed. It works very well.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 12:37:16 pm »

The PDF converter works fine. However, I need a slide show that will auto run, and a movie would be better - create the time to display in Lr and then let the movie run.

Somehow I did solve the issue. After making a change in the display time setting, I tried running the export to video again (4th attempt) and this time it ran. Note that it takes a long time, however - nearly an hour to process 60 photos!
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

ParkerPhoto

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 05:36:12 pm »

What size are your images?  Just ran 2 tests.  The first with hi-res files (originals) - took about an hour to export the 1080 vid.  Converted files to 72dpi - took 15 minutes.  Maybe your files are too large and that's why it's taking so long?

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 06:51:56 pm »

That's a good observation. I didn't want to bother with a double export - jpg, then video, and that may make a big difference in processing time. Note that I am working from a collection, and in order to reduce all those image I need to export to a new folder, then import that folder and re-make the slideshow. Not impossible to do, but time consuming compared to exporting directly to a mp4 file from the slideshow module.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 11:34:59 pm »

I think many that want a decent slideshow video from Lr images use the export to jpeg then assemble the video in a video editing program.  Pretty much all video programs can handle stills including transitions, and will encode much more reliably and usually faster.  Most allow you to set a default transition as well as a default duration for stills, so you just drop all the files into your time line and basically have a Lr slideshow.

Yeah, an extra step, but doesn't really take that much more time if you just want a straight show similar to what Lr can do (all durations the same, all transitions the same). Of course once you setup the show, you can do a lot more if you want to make it a better.

ButchM

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 01:53:32 am »

Most allow you to set a default transition as well as a default duration for stills, so you just drop all the files into your time line and basically have a Lr slideshow.

Yes, and it's sad that the Lightroom Slideshow module has great difficulty in doing even that. The only reason truly impactful and top quality audio-visual presentation can't be created efficiently in Lightroom is Adobe either lacks the skill or the resolve to create a Slideshow module that could be more than wasted space. I have no doubts that the engineers that crunch the code have the skills, but I also have zero confidence in the managers and executives in summoning the resolve to offer up a more superior product for such tasks.

Heck, Aperture 3 was capable of much, much, more back in 2010 (or earlier). Plus it had more than ten transition styles, truly custom pan and zoom, complete control over audio, including voice over capability and true timeline control including custom timing for slide durations and transitions and much more fluid inclusion of video clips ... Anyone who has ever created a slideshow in Aperture working directly from their RAW captures can tell you first-hand how restrictive and archaic the Slideshow module is in Lightroom. Unfortunately, it is that way by choice.

When you look at what has been 'improved' (and I use that term loosely) in the Slideshow module since the first betas in 2006, I am baffled as to why Adobe includes the functionality at all. It's rather sad that a competitor was capable of offering a far superior solution that streamlined workflows for many users, yet Adobe seems they could care less to address the need and also seems quite content their users seek out other options for solutions. If I were a software developer that included a Slideshow module from Day 1, I think I might be inclined to keep my users working in my offering rater that seeking options elsewhere. Especially considering all the advice usually ends up being 'use something else' ....

Remo Nonaz

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 08:17:19 am »

What slide show or video software is recommended as an alternative to Lr?

brianrybolt

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 11:46:30 am »

Look into:  http://www.photodex.com    They are 15% off at the moment and you can trial them for free.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 12:06:36 pm »

Unless you define what you mean by slideshow, it's a more difficult question than you may think. You've also got to say which OS is relevant to you, as slideshow apps are often limited to one OS. 

Lightroom does slideshows of course, but part of your definition seems to be that you want to run the slideshow without Lightroom. You do also say you have CC, so you might consider using LrMobile to run a slideshow from your tablet or phone. This method works best when you want to run the slideshow manually, and it's dead easy to get pictures onto the mobile platform and therefore into the slideshow. So depending what you want to do, it may be a question of using what you've got, but just in a different way.

Photodex runs on Windows and does slideshows, but its definition of a slideshow is more like a
standalone multimedia presentation. Is that what you want? You've then got the hassle of getting pictures into it - fine as a one off, but less wonderful if you want to change images.

Foromagico has a good reputation, but it's limited to Mac, like Aperture was.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:39:24 pm by john beardsworth »
Pages: [1]   Go Up