Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200 printing too dark  (Read 870 times)

baldwinhill

HP Z3200 printing too dark
« on: December 16, 2016, 10:53:55 pm »

The setup: HP Z3200 44" printer, Windows 7 system running Adobe Photoshop CS5, NEC PW241 monitor, everything calibrated with an X-rite I1.  Printing straight from Photoshop, no RIP.

The problem I'm having is the age-old problem of getting the print to at least look something like the image on the screen.  The particular problem I'm having is that dark areas in the images are coming out way too dark on the print.  One image I have is a picture of a cat with her face half in shadow.  On the screen there is some detail to be seen on the shadow side.  On the print, though, the shadow side is dark and completely featureless.  Even when I do a proof view with the printer/paper's profile I see some details, and there are no gamut warnings in that area.  The highlights and midtones are pretty good, it's just the shadows that are exaggerated.

I just recalibrated the monitor AGAIN, noting that I had the lux set way too high.  But even when I set up the monitor correctly (6500K,  120lux, gamma 2.2) I'm *still* getting my darks way too dark.

Has anybody else seen this and dealt with it?

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: HP Z3200 printing too dark
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 12:00:57 pm »

The setup: HP Z3200 44" printer, Windows 7 system running Adobe Photoshop CS5, NEC PW241 monitor, everything calibrated with an X-rite I1.  Printing straight from Photoshop, no RIP.

The problem I'm having is the age-old problem of getting the print to at least look something like the image on the screen.  The particular problem I'm having is that dark areas in the images are coming out way too dark on the print.  One image I have is a picture of a cat with her face half in shadow.  On the screen there is some detail to be seen on the shadow side.  On the print, though, the shadow side is dark and completely featureless.  Even when I do a proof view with the printer/paper's profile I see some details, and there are no gamut warnings in that area.  The highlights and midtones are pretty good, it's just the shadows that are exaggerated.

I just recalibrated the monitor AGAIN, noting that I had the lux set way too high.  But even when I set up the monitor correctly (6500K,  120lux, gamma 2.2) I'm *still* getting my darks way too dark.

Has anybody else seen this and dealt with it?

Yep.  It's the holy grail of printing for many people.

Look in Lightroom.  When you print, there is a place where you can lighten your print just before printing.

Not what you are wanting to hear, but your monitor can not handle your images adequately (most can't).
Fix the issue with editing.  Use Camera Raw Filter to bring up the areas in a TEST PRINT that you do first, then bring up the image until it matches.  You can do proofing, which is a prescribed method that several experts use here which for some, works well.

Many simply adjust the print file to work through the system. Once you know what is working, keep it in mind while editing.  Dark/light issues are often elusive.

I don't think he has any HP printers, but ask Mark D. Segal, a very knowledgeable person and a great guy what he thinks.  Jeff Schewe is also an authority on proofing - you can buy his books.

After all is said and done, last minute tweaks are my solution, even after proofing.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up