Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Cold Weather Tips?

(1/3) > >>

Mousecop:
So, I'm not really a newb, but I don't usually do a lot of hiking or landscape work during the winter. I'm planning to do a bit more this year. In terms of both hiking and camera gear, I should be mostly set. Except for snow shoes, and a balaclava that won't fog up my glasses.  ;)

Any particular tips for solo landscape work in cold weather? In particular, it seems like I'll be moving slower or stopping altogether, which will make for colder hiking than usual.

Christopher Sanderson:
You may be interested in Luminous Landscape Video Journal #10

davidgp:
Hi,

Your batteries will dry sooner than later... Keep them in an inside pocket of your clothes so they are warn that will give you a bit more minutes of shooting... Basically, batteries do not like cold weather.

If after a shooting session you are going to enter in a hot building or car... Do not open your camera bag (unless it is wet by rain and you need to dry it)... Being the camera and lenses cold with respect the room temperature... All the water in the air is going to condense in your equipment... Leave it for several hour so your equipment has time to rise its temperature.

If, when you enter in that house or car, you are planning to charge batteries or memory cards, take them from your camera or camera bag before entering the house or car... So you don't need to open the bag.

Also, I tend to wear two layers of gloves... thin ones to use the camera and a big warmer ones for when I'm not shooting...

Many of this comments I got it from the video that Chris mentions...

Regards,

David

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

TonyVentourisPhotography:
Not completely my area of expertise, but use the same common sense and outdoor knowledge for hiking and trekking, etc... Let someone know where you are going.  Also keep an extra layer or some dry socks and gloves in the car.  You never know!

jeffh:
I shoot while backcountry skiing among other activities, and it's a challenge no doubt. To add to the above suggestions:

-When you raise your ice cold camera to your eye, all it takes is one hot exhale of breath to fog your eyepiece for the next 10 minutes and ruin your shooting. If your camera manufacturer makes accessory eye pieces, see if they make a double-pane one (ex. Nikon's DK-17A Anti-Fog Eyepiece).
-Get used to shooting in live mode from the rear display so you don't have to rely on your eyepiece.
-The addition of thick gloves makes it hard to use everything, including lens caps and zippers. I like to use Peak Design Capture clips to keep my camera on one shoulder and a lens on the other. I also try to stick to lens hoods for protection and leave the lens caps in a pocket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version