Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some astounding photos  (Read 18653 times)

N80

Re: Some astounding photos
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2016, 10:00:45 am »

To set fire to something in general is the most primitive form of use.

How does the fact that oxidation is primitive make it somehow bad? Breathing is primitive too. Do we need to find an alternative?

If it is wood or oil or whatever. It is time we move on to a more intelligent use of our fossil earth.

Again, what shall we move on to? We are told that the problem is urgent. We know that wind and solar are not even close to being sufficient particularly not in rapidly industrializing nations like China. The environmentalists are always telling us we must stop using fossil fuel but rarely tell us what we can actually use. Solar and wind are not it. So again, what? How?

And yes, diversity of energy production is great. But diversity alone will not solve the problem now. Sometimes it seems these small western European nations live in a vacuum.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2016, 10:27:58 am »

....Sometimes it seems these small western European nations live in a vacuum...
Well than it is a good thing we have almighty N80 here to guide us through these difficult times ;)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2016, 10:39:11 am »

I admire your optimism. But the truth is, from your standpoint China is moving backwards as fast as it can. Like I said, China is building NEW coal fired plants at a rapid rate. How is that progressing away from fossil fuel?

The use of coal peaked in 2013 and is on the way down. The use of oil in general is still on the way up in China. China builds wind and solar plants. It will take a long time to get rid of the coal power plants in China and also in the worst states in the US. I'm optimistic since the price point where renewable energy (RE) is starting to be cheaper than fossil fuels. This does not mean that the transition will be fast. I do think (being optimistic) that as RE is becoming the norm and we get rid of the air pollution more and more that it will not be acceptable any more to us fossil fuels and the public will accept the costs in closing down older fossil fuelled plants as they are no longer economic and pollutes. Being realistic I'm also sure that it will take longer than desired. But on the edge of a new year, isn't it time to be optimistic?  :)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2016, 10:46:26 am »

And yes, diversity of energy production is great. But diversity alone will not solve the problem now. Sometimes it seems these small western European nations live in a vacuum.

There will be diversity as progression to RE will take place. I see Chinese delegations coming to my country (Denmark) all the time to study what we have done for quite some time now in the area of RE and also other sustainable actions. Areas like waste handling and reuse and clean water etc. It's not a vacuum. It is forward thinking and smart as many green industries are built up around such techniques. In my country we have the worlds largest windturbine manufacturing company Vestas and a lot of Siemens Wind Power is also in Denmark as Danish companies were bought by Siemens. So I think is smart and not a vacuum as these techniques will be in high demand. Germany, Holland, Norway and other countries do similar things. Germany is not exactly a small country.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2016, 12:38:13 pm »

Hi,

RE has pressed electricity prices here in Sweden, where I live. We are in the process of phasing out four of our nuclear power plants because electricity prices are so low. We need to reach profitability at 1.9 eurocent / kWh in a few years.

When RE is cheeper that fossile it will replace fossile. But RE is also troublesame, the sun is not always shining and the wind is not aways blowing. Well the wind is always blowing when I try to shoot anything but waves…

The way I see it:
  • Fossiles are cheap right now
  • Developing world needs energy
  • NIC/BRICK and other letter soup countries will need more power

So, I am not overly optimistic in the short term. In a longer term we have a lot of positive developments.
  • More fuel efficient cars
  • More efficient illumination
  • Fuel cell cars coming soon
  • Energy storage solutions may balance energy production/consumption over day

Best regards
Erik

There will be diversity as progression to RE will take place. I see Chinese delegations coming to my country (Denmark) all the time to study what we have done for quite some time now in the area of RE and also other sustainable actions. Areas like waste handling and reuse and clean water etc. It's not a vacuum. It is forward thinking and smart as many green industries are built up around such techniques. In my country we have the worlds largest windturbine manufacturing company Vestas and a lot of Siemens Wind Power is also in Denmark as Danish companies were bought by Siemens. So I think is smart and not a vacuum as these techniques will be in high demand. Germany, Holland, Norway and other countries do similar things. Germany is not exactly a small country.
Erik Kaffehr

N80

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2016, 08:18:33 pm »

Well than it is a good thing we have almighty N80 here to guide us through these difficult times ;)

Over here in 'merica we're told that you guys are doing just fine. A model for the world to follow. Imagine how that sounds to the nation that pays NATO's bills.
George

Ray

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2016, 10:08:49 pm »

Hi,

RE has pressed electricity prices here in Sweden, where I live. We are in the process of phasing out four of our nuclear power plants because electricity prices are so low. We need to reach profitability at 1.9 eurocent / kWh in a few years.

When RE is cheeper that fossile it will replace fossile. But RE is also troublesame, the sun is not always shining and the wind is not aways blowing.

Hi Erik,
The sun is always shining somewhere, particularly in desert areas. High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) transmission lines have a very low energy loss across thousands of kilometres, and it would be technically possible to provide 20 or 30 times the current energy requirements of the entire world from solar power alone, by building large solar farms in deserts and arid regions which are currently not used for any useful purpose, and by encouraging the installation of solar panels on the millions of building roofs around the world which also represent free space which is not being used.

Those of us who have witnessed the amazing improvement in the efficiency of digital cameras during the past 20 years or so, together with a very significant drop in price, should not be surprised to see a similar trend applying to Photo Voltaic Panels.

At a fundamental  level, the average prosperity of the whole of mankind is inextricably linked to the cost of energy and the ways in which we use that energy. If we were to continue to rely upon fossil fuels for most of our energy needs into the future, there would eventually come a period of total, world-wide economic collapse, when the world population is perhaps around 10 or 12 billion, and India and Africa have greatly increased their prosperity.

The 1930's depression would be mild in comparison, so it's fortunate we are already preparing ourselves to be able to avoid such an event, even though the main motivation, which is a scare about the future effects of increased CO2 levels, might be unfounded.

Happy New Year to everyone.  ;)

jeremyrh

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2017, 09:48:27 am »

Over here in 'merica we're told that you guys are doing just fine. A model for the world to follow. Imagine how that sounds to the nation that pays NATO's bills.

"America's contribution to NATO's military budget - provided through the Department of the Army's Operations and Maintenance account - is under 23 percent. The U.S. contributed $408.051 million and $430.381 million, respectively, in FY2009 and FY2010, according to the Congressional Budget Service.

After the U.S., the largest contributors to NATO's military budget are Germany (16.6 percent); France (12.4 percent); United Kingdom (12 percent); Italy (7.8 percent); Canada (5 percent); Spain (4.2 percent); Netherlands (3.3 percent); Belgium (2.6 percent); Poland (2.3 percent); Turkey (1.8 percent); Denmark (1.7 percent); and Norway (1.6 percent). Fifteen countries make up the remaining 5.8 percent.
"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gates-criticizes-nato-how-much-does-us-pay/

N80

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2017, 04:30:51 pm »

I don't understand your point. NATO is a tiny fraction on what the US spends defending Europe.

Again, I'm not arguing that we should defend Europe. I'm not arguing that NATO should exist. Several Europeans in this thread have suggested Europe would be better off if we did not have a presence there. I'm inclined to agree.
George

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2017, 06:51:46 am »

Maybe it is more easy to agree that pollution due to fueled cars harms the local climate....
and that it is sensible to search for other kinds of energy than burning carbon rich fuels...

Unlike Bejing we have in Holland a lot of wind coming from the seaside, making our problems less acute...

Livestock farming results in more pollution than all car and truck driving. Not only that, but while transportation creates CO2, livestock farming produces methane which is 23 times more potent when it comes to warming the planet.

In other words, a vegetarian driving a Hummer is gentler to the planet than a carnivore driving Prius.

http://www.ecowatch.com/which-is-worse-for-the-planet-beef-or-cars-1919932136.html

N80

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2017, 05:36:25 pm »

After the U.S., the largest contributors to NATO's military budget are Germany (16.6 percent)

The United States spends 3.3% of its GDP on defense. We have bases all over Europe and US based and mobile defense systems all for defending Europe.

Germany spends 1.2% of its GDP on its own defense. France spends 2.1%. Sweden 1.1%.

The United States spends as much protecting Europe as Europe does. Many western European economies are own the brink without even really making an effort to defend themselves. Again, imagine those economies if they couldn't rely on US defense spending for security.
George

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2017, 08:55:06 pm »

http://www.boredpanda.com/2016-national-geographic-nature-photographer-of-the-year-winners/

My apologies to Peter Alt for highjacking his nice Coffee Corner topic about some astounding photos.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up