Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing or Adding Camera Metadata??  (Read 2665 times)

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
Changing or Adding Camera Metadata??
« on: July 13, 2006, 07:09:08 pm »

What is the best way or best place to add camera information to metadata? Currently only the digital back model and ASA are recorded.

I am shooting with an Aptus 22 on an Alpa 12SWA with various lenses. I use Bridge to organize and process the files and am starting to use iView to Catalog. I would like to embed the camera/lens combination while I shoot or shortly there after. For some shots adding the shutter speed or F stop would be nice also.

Any advice on using bridge, text editing the metadata templates, or going to iView......

Thanks,

Eric

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:01:11 pm »

Most cameras record everything you're asking for, and much more. Canon DSLRs encode date/time, camera model, lens used, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focal length, active autofocus sensors at time of exposure, and ALL of the camera settings. I'd be surprised if your back didn't as well. But that doesn't mean Adobe knows how to decode the manufacturer's proprietary method for encoding that data. If the software that came with the back can display the data, it's in the file and Bridge just doesn't know how to read it yet. Make sure you've downloaded and installed the latest version of Camera RAW, that may fix the problem.

But you don't want to try to edit the RAW after-the-fact to add the info. Attempting to do so may corrupt the file and render it unreadable.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 02:18:16 pm »

I have gotten used to knowing all that info with my D2x.  I wouldn't be supprised if it told me somewhere what shirt I was wearing.

The Alpa is effectively a large format camera.  The only connection to a Leaf or Phase back is the sync cable.  The only info that is recorded is the Brand, Model, and ASA of the Digital back.  With the Aptus 22 I do not even receive the exposure time.

I would like to add the Camera, Lens, and sometimes shutter speed and F-stop after I shoot the image.  In Bridge these values seem not to be editable.

-Eric

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 09:22:41 am »

So the problem is that the camera doesn't communicate any information to the back except a signal to begin exposure? If that is the case, you may have to hijack one of the editable IPTC comment fields to place the information manually.
Pages: [1]   Go Up