Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few newbie ( noobie ) Creative Cloud questions, please.  (Read 2213 times)

uintaangler

A few newbie ( noobie ) Creative Cloud questions, please.
« on: December 16, 2016, 09:52:58 am »

I am in the process right now of purchasing a new IMac computer and I will be having the retailer transfer my data from my current IMac to the new one
My biggest concern of course is not having any issues when I go to use LightRoom the first time on my new computer
I am currently running LR 6.6.1

QUESTION: would this be a good time to make the jump to the Creative Cloud as a way of making the computer switch a bit more seamless? 
                  just go ahead and sign up and if all goes well I will simply be using my current LR catalog on the latest version of LR?

QUESTION 2: if I install CC on my laptop and I want to use LR while traveling, will I always need WiFi to be able to open LR ?
                    that seems like a big negative if one travels in some of the places in the intermountain west where having decent WiFi is a privilege not a right.

I should mention that the main reason I haven't gone onto the CC yet is because I am not particularly computer savvy and I'm fine if I keep doing the same thing over and over again, but if I run into a snag, I'm screwed.

Thanks.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: A few newbie ( noobie ) Creative Cloud questions, please.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 10:34:02 am »

Q1 No, take one big step at a time. Get the new computer up and running with your existing photos and catalogue, then make the move to CC shortly after if you wish. When you do sign up, your existing catalogue will carry on as normal. You just have to tell Lr that you are now licencing it with your CC sub rather than through a serial number (see https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/serialize-lightroom-cc-trial-to-activate-as-lightroom-6.html), and then you get the extra features.

Q2. No, you'll have to go online once every 60 or 90 days (can't remember which) for CC to check you're signed in.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 04:46:00 pm »

Think twice about CC. Unless you absolutely must have Photohop or the latest LR tools, why switch, especially with all the great PS-like apps out there that are compatible and significantly less expensive.

Try the switch to your new iMac. Live with it, then, if your run into things you just can't do, look for a solution. Buying a solution to a problem you may not have just doesn't make sense, at least to the way you've described things.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 10:08:34 am »

I should mention that the main reason I haven't gone onto the CC yet is because I am not particularly computer savvy and I'm fine if I keep doing the same thing over and over again, but if I run into a snag, I'm screwed.

Subscription software, such as Adobe's CC, is a hot button issue and it's hard to get objective, informed, information.

As in most things, it's an economic decision and it depends.

Adobe CC for Photographers is $9.99/month (so about $120/yr) and you get both Lightroom and Photoshop. They are both updated from time to time during the year, so you're always up to date. It's pretty simple and you get the tools most photographs need.

For me, the $120/yr is typically less expensive than buying and keeping Photoshop and Lightroom up to date. If you don't need updates (for new cameras, new operating system features, new program features), then your cost calculation will be different.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 10:10:07 am »

If you decide to join CC, I suggest that you create a new account and use that for your CC subscription.  That will leave your perpetual licenses separate to use on a laptop (if you're concerned about connectivity).  Perpetual LR will convert to CC LR if you try to use the perpetual version on an account with an active CC subscription.
Pages: [1]   Go Up